Moral dilemma

Discussion in 'AR-15 Discussion' started by locutus, Jan 5, 2013.

1. locutus

locutus Well-Known Member Supporter

I have a rifle that I don't use anymore because I bought a higher quality version of the weapon. I was seriousl considering selling it several months ago.

I paid $900+ for the gun. Last week, I was offered $1500 for it.

A friend who is a dealer told me to take it to an upcoming gun show, and I should be able to get close to $2000 for it.

This sounds good from a financial standpoint, but it also seems to me to be a bit dishonest to take advantage of the panic and gouge someone.

I though about selling it at the gun show for $900, but my dealer friend told me that a gun show dealer would just buy it and turn around and sell it for $2000.:(

What do you think? Immoral or not.l??

2. nitestalker

nitestalker New Member

If Bill Gate viewed business the way you do he would be living under a bridge.;)

3. locutus

locutus Well-Known Member Supporter

:D You're probably right. OTOH, I'd kinda like to think that zi'm a better man then Gates or Warren Buffett!:)

4. JTJ

JTJ Well-Known Member Supporter

And a hell of a lot poorer.:rolleyes:

5. rjd3282

rjd3282 New Member

I applaud your sense of right and wrong but there is nothing wrong with getting fair market value from it. If it's 2000 dollars so be it. You aren't forcing anyone to give you that much. On the plus side I'd do business with you, at least I know you wouldn't break one off in me.

6. eltoro

eltoro New Member

Hey everyone had a chnce to get their $500 or $900 rifle now they must pay the piper ;) now they get a $500 ar for $2000 LOL and a pmag for $50 each minimum SO my advice is take the $2000 and smile ;) nothing wrong with making a little profit

7. Holmes375

Holmes375 New Member

Having a conscience is hell, eh?!

Fair market value has changed since your initial purchase. A sale at the current value is just in every respect. A sale at an emotionally panic-driven hyper rate is less readily balanced on the scales of right 'n wrong.

If you sell the firearm to a responsible buyer at $1500 you are getting the current fair market value and saving this person from the panic-driven rate. Strikes me as a just scenario for all parties concerned, your conscience included.

8. tomykay12

tomykay12 New Member

Stock market; it is the American way, and part of what our country is founded upon. Your potential sale is no different than buying a stock at market price, then something happens to increase the desireability of said stock, and selling it a short time later for a profit. Enjoy, tk

9. partdeux

partdeux Well-Known Member

Sell it to Obama for $200 and turn in the rest of your guns.

Please take the profits and buy a spell checker!

10. bluez

bluez Well-Known Member

I can understand where the OP is coming from.
    I have slightly more in my guns but i know the cheapest ones is worth a minimum of 1800-1900 now and I coiuld get almost certainly more for them.

But instead of holding on I decided to sell at leat one of my guns even though I don tneed the money.

Why I want to create another "assault rifle" gun owner to stick it to the man!

11. Txhillbilly

Txhillbilly Active Member

It's called Capitalism!
    If there are idiots willing to pay crazy prices for an AR or any other weapon,then they deserve to pay out their a$$es for them,if they have waited this long before buying one.
    I'm getting tempted to sell my 458 SOCOM with all the reloading supplies I have for it for $4000,there's going to be someone that just has to have it! It's just a toy to me,and other than having fun shooting hogs with it,I have plenty of other guns to hunt with.

12. Quentin

Quentin New Member

Locutus, I'd listen to your friend. If you price it at what was fair market price two months ago, someone will snap it up quick then resell it for what the market will bear. Your AR is worth more today so you might as well take advantage of its value yourself! I'd clean it up nice, write up its specs and put today's price on it. You're not twisting anyone's arm to pull out the wallet.

13. nitestalker

nitestalker New Member

Loctus the reason you can not sell low is everything is going up. If you sell at last years prices you can not afford todays prices. The inflation has reduced your investment . The value of your dollar has been reduced. Your orginal dollar will be worth .50 cents on your next purchase.:)

14. Yunus

Yunus New Member

If gold goes up in price would you sell it for less than you could get? I see a firearm or any tangible good as the same thing, it is worth what the market will pay. As long as you are not misrepresenting what you are selling or have some inside info not available to others you should not have any moral issues with selling something to someone at market rate.

You are assuming the price will come back down but you don't KNOW that it will.... or maybe you do :) I hope you do cause that would mean a big 2A victory.

15. Holmes375

Holmes375 New Member

Good point.

16. trip286

trip286 New Member

If your concerned about gouging, then just take the first offer that beats your purchase price.

You'll literally be simply selling it for what it's worth to the buyer.

17. Rick1967

Rick1967 Well-Known Member

Lets say you bought a home for $200,000 and you held on to it for a few years. Now your neighborhood is in demand. Somebody offers you $500,000 for your home. Wouldn't you take it if you were thinking about selling anyway? Property is property. Be it real estate, guns, gold...whatever. Market value is market value. And if you decide to replace it later that may be what you will have to pay for it.

18. victorzamora

victorzamora New Member

OP: The way I see it, you have four options.

1) Sell it to someone for $500-$900, they sell it to someone kind of like option #2.
    2) Sell it to someone willing/wanting to pay $1500-$2000 for it. They're glad they got an AR at all since there's basically ZERO stock to be found. You're happy, buyer's happy.
    3) This is my favorite option. Sell it to me for $500. I own zero AR's. Broke college kid. Will not resell. Will be VERY happy.
    4) Keep it.

Jokes aside, if you want to sell it then there's no reason you shouldn't sell it for as much as you can get for it. Don't gouge, but don't let somebody steal the gun from you. $1500 is a great deal for someone willing to pay you $1700 for your gun. With Capitalism, an item is only worth what people are willing to pay. If someone is willing to pay $2000, it's worth $2000. Period. No matter what you bought it for.

19. Jstrong

Jstrong New Member

I say put it on gunbroker or similar auction site with a $1000 dollar reserve.

You can't feel bad,they are volunteering to pay whatever it goes for.

20. nitestalker

nitestalker New Member

This is going to get crazy. You are only smelling smoke. Just wait until you see the fire. When the Clinton AWB started things went sky high. The Obama plan will be much more of a threat.
    You can expect shotages on every thing. If the AWB is like the Clinton Ban the prices will drop and hoarders will be dumping ammo every where.
    What ever the case? Get ready for a fight that is a train in the tunnel.:(