Moose Hunting Close Encounter

Discussion in 'Hunting Forum' started by dnthmn2004, Mar 5, 2009.

1. dnthmn2004

dnthmn2004 New Member

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WdEDx8yJ-CQ]YouTube - Close Encounters of the MOOSE Kind[/ame]

Oh... sh1t... Those guys did a great job keeping their composure.

2. orangello

orangello New Member

LOL! Maybe the moose needed to pick something out of its teeth?
    No video & not as funny, but i had a close encounter of the ungulate kind on the way to the Grand Canyon from Flagstaff, AZ. I had rented a convertable lebaron (it was 93) & was driving my sis to the Canyon so we could hang out & catch up on what she'd been doing at grad school. Being a MS native, i don't plan rest stops on highway trips, i pee behind the plentiful trees whenever i feel the need. There aren't many trees on the way to the canyon, so i had to wait (quite anxiously) for a rest stop. When we finally came to a rest area, i was walking fast for the door only to be disappointed by a "closed for maintenance" sign. I saw a line of cedar trees & headed for them at an even faster clip, seeking some free-flowing relief. After reaching the gravel road the trees lined, i proceeded to relieve my bladder; about halfway through, i heard a loud noise right behind me. Apparently a gigormous buck (toooo big for a whitetail, have no idear) was not pleased with me for watering his road & was snorting to alert me to this. I finished, left rapidly, & wished i had had a spare hand & a camera; biggest "deer" i've ever seen in person & it was laughing at me. :rolleyes:

Last edited: Mar 5, 2009

3. ScottG

ScottG New Member

He was afraid you were after his does....... :p

4. Patrick Sperry

Patrick Sperry Member

You might owe me a keyboard!

Beer and keyboards don't mix well,and I took a sip just as I read that!
    :D

5. davemccarthy707

davemccarthy707 New Member

It just goes to show how blind moose are.

6. ljsayat13

ljsayat13 New Member

Moose are dangerous and big but they have poor eyesight :D

7. MAGNUM44

MAGNUM44 New Member

Good cover & camo does work

So who says that good cameo & masking scent's dont work, That mother moose was keeping a eye out for her calf & she did not even smell him in all of that wind that was blowing, great camo job. :)

8. Patrick Sperry

Patrick Sperry Member

I'm no Moose Hunter

I have only once in my life hunted Moose. That said, yes, I got one due to some excellent work by my guide.

Despite the huge size, mean *** temperament, and Gawd awful environment they remind me of Whitetail Deer with an attitude.

The bonus part is that they really do fill a freezer, and taste really good!

Good God though? Those beast remind me of Jumbo that have feasted on berries a few days before!

9. utelme

utelme New Member

He was lucky a moose with a calf is on the the same danger scale as a Grizzly. I have a friend that surprised one in his back yard with a calf and it nearly killed him he has hoof scars on his back and head.

10. utelme

utelme New Member

By the way the buck you saw near the canyon was a desert Mule deer

11. Patrick Sperry

Patrick Sperry Member

Actually? Where he was? If I read it correctly it probably was a Mule Deer, but might have been a Whitetail Deer. In any case, I am sure that was a "thrilling" experience!

:D

12. orangello

orangello New Member

I was kindof busy trying to keep my shoes dry, but it didn't really look like the whitetail deer in MS, very stout & odd antlers. I guess i would be a bit upset if someone ran over from their car & peed on my rug.

13. utelme

utelme New Member

The largest deer in AZ not counting elk, is the mule deer. There is a subspecies of white tail called a cous deer. They are small a 4 point wouldn't go much over 100lbs. They are found more in the south I think around the Mex Border and usually above 3000 ft elevation.