Firearms Talk banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Yes. I primarily load 9mm and .45, though I've started loading rifle rounds as well.

I currently handload 9mm for $3.50 per box (50 rds) and .45 for $4.50 per box. I am using brass that I've kept from my own spent factory loads as well as brass scrounged from the range, and loading Rainier Ballistics copper-plated bullets.

·
Registered
5,371 Posts
Saving money is one issue, increased accuracy is another. For 9.3x57 it would cost me close to $2.50 a round for factory ammo, I can reload using re-formed 8x57 brass, Speer bonded 270 grain bullets, and CCI primers for under .40 cents a round. It does depend on where and how you purchase your components. I picked up some .308 165 grain SP Combined Technology bullets from Midway about a year back, $4.95 for 50, so I picked up a few boxes. For .308, 7.5x55 and 7.62x51 it now costs me about .19 cents a round to reload. Most rifle cartridges cost me between .20 and .40 cents a round. Plus they are tailored to my rifles! So at an average cost of $6.00 for 20 rounds it is a huge savings. This includes 7mm Rem Mag, 6.5x55, 7.5x55, .308,5.56x45, and 9.3x57. Pistol cartridges are an even bigger savings. I reload for about 7 rifle calibers, and 3 handgun calibers. I use 3 rifle powders and 1 handgun powder. Jim

·
Registered
4 Posts
As someone previously mentioned reloading your own ammo means you pay less per round in my case I shoot mostly 10mm, 44 and 38. I've loaded 75,000 rounds since I started using my trustly Dillon 650 13 years ago. I can pay nearly .40 cents per round for commercial loaded .44 or 10mm or I can load my own for about .08 cents per round.

Kinda fun, I never go the the range with less than 1000 rounds of ammo.

As a kid my Dad would always take me and my brother shooting and I could never shoot as much as I wanted because of the expense. So now my brother and my Dad and I go the range and we can shoot until our fingers and hands are too tired to shoot anymore (funny how life works out :D

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.