Money Pit.

Discussion in 'AK & SKS Discussion' started by afi1, Dec 17, 2009.

1. afi1

afi1 New Member

Well, my SGL21-76 hasn't even shown up yet and I've spent a ton of money on it. I bought a grip and stock from CAA, two 20rd mags from Tapco, a buffer, a Beryl type mount, a Kreebs Customs selector with a bolt hold open function, and an EOTech 551.A65. So I've spent more on parts and goodies than the rifle. I'll post pics when it's finished(my Father is putting it together for me).

2. diggsbakes

diggsbakes New Member

Just have patience. Who cares about the money? Money ain't worth sh_t if you can't spend it. Your goodies will be well worth it!!! Make sure and thank your pops. Fathers are pretty awesome when it comes to this stuff. Can't wait to see pics.

3. yesicarry

yesicarry New Member

Good things come to those who wait.. Ya know, that saying sucks more than Jenna Jameson !! Especially when waiting for guns and parts..

Cherish having your Dad.. Mine passed 5 months ago..

Hang in there.

4. afi1

afi1 New Member

Well, I had to come home for emergency leave... long story. Anyway, my SGL21 had come in, and all my goodies came in today. I bolted up everything and went shooting! Here are a few pics of the rifle:

Attached Files:

5. VitSports6

VitSports6 New Member

Far out, Looks great! How did it shoot?
    Sorry to hear you had to come home for emergency leave, Hope all is well.

6. afi1

afi1 New Member

It shot really well. Today, I'm going to dial in the optic and see what she'll print at range.

7. afi1

afi1 New Member

Here's what I got at 100yds. sort of proped against a 4in.x4in. swingset. I also can't keep consistant sight picture because my adjustable cheek piece hasn't come in. I don't have much to compair it to, aside from my AR; and it doesn't stack up well. Is this normal for AK type rifles?

Attached Files:

8. Flint Rock

Flint Rock New Member

That target looks typical of AK targets that I have seen.

9. jpattersonnh

jpattersonnh Active Member

What trigger is in it?? This is what I use!
    Cope's Distributing

They are having a sale. $19.99 for single or double hook. You need to call to get the correct price. My cheap Wasr2 shoots groups like that at 160 meters, no optics.

10. diggsbakes

diggsbakes New Member

That's not too bad. I usually get groups similar to that at 100 yards with open sights with my WASR-10. The WASR-2 that the above poster mentioned is chambered for the 5.45 x 39 and they do usually group better than the 7.62.

One thing you should try if you haven't yet is after sighting it in at 25 yards, move on out to 50 yards, check your grouping, then 75 and so on, as opposed to sighting it in a jumping right out to 100. Also what kind of ammo was it?

You also mentioned just being propped up against something. That's how I shoot, but some use rests, so of course their groups are going to be better.

Overall, I don't think its too bad for your first time with the rifle and it's "good enough" if nothing else. You'll get better as you become more comfortable with the gun. You also might want to consider at least trying open sights. I know many an AK owner that has installed optics, only to revert back to open sights.

11. IGETEVEN

IGETEVEN New Member

That's pretty normal shooting for an 7.62 AK, a little better with some and a little worse with others, I still see a dead ______________.

Feel free to fill in the blank with what you wish. ;)

Jack

12. afi1

afi1 New Member

I was using some Wolf ball ammo. And I almost always shoot proped against a tree or the hood of the truck; something. I don't like training myself to always shoot lying down, or in a rest of some sort. I shoot the same positions with my Model 70 and my AR and get groups just as good as from a sandbag. I think it's mostly the low stock and high optic, and my inability to maintain proper and consistant cheek weild/sight picture. It could be the trigger too I guess. I like the way it feels, and the pull is good. I just probably need to get used to it over my other rifles. I also tried the iron sights, and frankly; they suck. I can't see jack beyond 30yds. or so, and the sight radius is so short. I had to send my Beryl type rail back because it was machined slightly out of spec. When I get another I may mount a flip up AR style rear sight and try that too.

13. diggsbakes

diggsbakes New Member

Just remember that the AK was designed to be cheap to produce and extremely reliable. Accuracy was intended to be "good enough" for the situations the Russians encountered in WWII. Don't expect your AK to shoot like an AR, even with all the bells and whistles you put on it.

The AK47 is a beautiful thing. Sometimes less is more.

14. afi1

afi1 New Member

Ah, no doubt. I don't expect it to shoot like the AR. I was just asking if it was a normal spread. The only other rifle I have to compair it to would be my friends SKS. But the one he has will almost shoot in circles. On a positive note, there were no feed issues at all. The only problem I had was with one of the TAPCO mags, but ended up not being a problem at all. My wife found out that you could cram an extra round into the mag, but it pushed it out slightly so it wouldn't fit in the mag well. The stock works nicely. My 5'6 wife can shoot the rifle comfortably now. Where as before, she struggled with the length. And I preffer it fully collapsed. It makes it much easier to handle for tactical drills. The buffer works well too. I took it out to see how it would cycle. After 5 rounds I put it back in. The action is so violent without. My favorite addition would have to be the grip though. I don't see how the regular grip made it into production. It's too thin, and akward shaped. With the new grip, I can get a good sure grip on the rifle; it just feels right. I'll run some Winchester ball through her and see if that helps. I'll also try and shoot from a real rest, maybe prone with a bag or two. Thanks for the input.

15. diggsbakes

diggsbakes New Member

Right on brother. Have fun shooting and let us know how it goes!

16. CaptJim

CaptJim New Member

That's not bad...

That's pretty darn good free handing it. I can print consistant 3" groups from 100 yds but only w/ a sandbag or rest. Also my eyes suck so I need a scope. When I try the iron sights the front one pretty much covered the whole bulls eye area at 100 yds. So how accurate could I really be? That said, I'm very happy (and the BG's very sad) with 3" groups.

Capt Jim

17. DarinCraft

DarinCraft New Member

Yeah thats why I got an S12 shotgun....similar paterns...lol:D:D:D:D

18. crockett007

crockett007 New Member

I've got a Norinco MAK (debanned).

Your target looks atypical. I did a couple of things to improve my 100yd performance. First, I switched to the Wolf hollow point ammo, shoots way tighter in my rifle. Second, got rid of the red dot and went to the peeps. Purchased the set up from techsights.com:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This was my previous set up with the Red dot.
    [​IMG]

The dot covered up the bull @ 100 yds., so I actually shoot better with the irons.

With my military rifle training, I am more comfortable with the US style battle sight.

The Tech Sights set up is a little pricey, about $100. You get a new dustcover and RS recoil spring guide that dovetails into the receiver. I really love it. You must pop out the AK rear sight blade, this turns some people off.

Last edited: Jan 28, 2010
  19. IGETEVEN

IGETEVEN New Member

Nice AK there. I am partial to them Chinese MAK 90 Norincos myself. Very reliable, well put together, no trigger slap and the receiver metal thickness is 1.6mm, more than other AK's at 1mm. Good choice of rifle Crockett.

Jack

20. crockett007

crockett007 New Member

Thanks Jack,

Bought it new in '92 for $230 bucks, and it has ran like a raped ape ever since. Just recently put on the Ironwood furniture and the krink brake. I love my AR, but this is my SHTF weapon.

Cheers,
    Steve