Monarch steel cased 9mm

Discussion in 'Semi-Auto Handguns' started by davva360, Dec 13, 2013.

1. davva360

davva360 New Member

Anyone have experience with this?

Stood in Academy and they have it for $10.99 a box

2. DrFootball

DrFootball disappointed & disgusted, But DETERMINED... Lifetime Supporter

I personally try and avoid steel cased Ammo in Handguns, I suppose it can be shot safely in most Carbines.

3. seibert1903

seibert1903 New Member

Put over 1,000 rounds of those through my sig and walther with no problems whatsoever. What exactly are your concerns?

Last edited: Dec 13, 2013
  4. davva360

davva360 New Member

Just wondering how it performs in a semi auto pistol. I have shot steel cased through rifles but never through handguns.

I left it on the shelf for now mainly because the Walmart's suddenly have brass 9mm around here. However at that price, if its reliable, I am thinking it may be good to stash some away.

5. Gatoragn

Gatoragn Active Member

Send me a case and I will give you a range report. :p

I have shot a lot of WPA steel case 9mm. I have never had an opportunity to shoot any Monarch, but I would / will if I see some to buy.

6. kryptar19

kryptar19 New Member

I've shot a freakin truck load of Monarch steel pistol and rifle ammo. Being as I work at Academy, I get it 20% off!! :)

7. danf_fl

danf_fl Retired Supporter

I've seen where some steel case 9mm has caused a Walther to "stutter" in FTEs.

Two guys, using 1 handgun, on 1 target. The pistol got a little warm and the coating of the steel case was hanging within the chamber. I gave them 5 rounds of brass casings and the handgun worked perfect.

8. qwiksdraw

qwiksdraw New Member

Monarch ammo in any caliber, brass or steel cased, has been very reliable, consistent and clean in all my guns. On top of that, the price is fanatastic too.

9. Balota

Balota ... but I used to play keyboards.

I had problems with some of the TulAmmo (also steel cased). It fired OK, but it would jam up in my magazines. I carry XDm 9mm Compact. The double stack magazine seems to offset the rounds just enough to where they can jam against each other. Could be surface roughness or coating. The brass casings are smoother and do not have that problem.

10. velofan

velofan New Member

The real challenge with modern steel case ammo and FTEs is not the coating. Rather it is the fact that steel cases are less "elastic" than brass and do not expand and contract as quickly,thus giving some firearms FTE issues.

11. Balota

Balota ... but I used to play keyboards.

I agree that steel expands differently than brass and can cause problems with FTE. In my case the problem became evident before I finished charging the magazine. After about 7 rounds, pushing the stack down far enough to get number 8 in would jam the 7 down low. The mag spring was not able to push the stack above it up to tighten the top round in place. If you tapped it hard you could break the stack loose. But if you got 10 or 11 rounds in (IDPA division capacity, ESP), you could chamber the top round and get a FTF when fired. Recoil was not enough to break loose the stack.

Same mag has no problems feeding any brass cased ammo.

12. BobbyBJr

BobbyBJr New Member

I bought a few boxes of the Monarch steel cased ammo, but havent shot any of it yet. I have shot a lot of the TulAmmo without any problems in a variety of calibers.

13. DrFootball

Last year sometime I had 2 boxes(100 rds. total) of the TUL in 9MM. My SR9 did not like it at all. My LC9 did a little better, the first6-7 rds. would function no problem. Last rd. in 7 Rd. LC9 mag., the Tul would hang up. Even Winchester WB runs well in the Rugers...

14. nitestalker

nitestalker New Member

The Military through out the world uses steel cased ammo. Handgun ammunition has used steel cases going back 100 years. Most of these Urban Legends regarding steel cased ammunition has to do with corrosive Berdan primers. Following WWII all steel cased ammo was considered bad due to the failure of gun owners to properly clean their weapons. :(

15. Mercator

Mercator Active Member

There is an ongoing debate about using steel ammo in Western made firearms. It will probably take a lot of shooting to see the difference. I think it is reasonable to see if your particular gun functions well with it. Massad Ayoob who does shoot high volumes, points out the extractor failures due to steel cases. I asked him myself, and he confirmed what he had written before.

Last edited: Jan 6, 2014
  16. nitestalker

nitestalker New Member

Extractors wear out and break from use. Guns that are not cleaned increase extractor fatigue more than a "Tin' cased round. I have 100 year old Lugers and Mausers with their original extractors. These guns were in 2 world wars. There is nothing peculiar to their chambers.

17. DrFootball

I have no issue shooting them(Steel cased) in a Carbine or longer tubed "Box Gun." But the last thing I'd want to do is bring in what is still considered a "new" Gun to the smith because I "Broke it" on ammo not nec. " Cleared" to shoot in a SD Handgun.......