moisin accuracy

Discussion in 'General Rifle Discussion' started by sagenodland, Aug 26, 2011.

1. sagenodland

sagenodland New Member

I've been asking all these questions about different guns but I've been thinking about a moisin nagant for a while but being a mass produced (14000000 made) I wondered about the accuracy if its a 2 moa rifle im willing to buy if it goes over 3.5 im out I know not to expect a "sniper rifle" just because its a bolt action but reasonable for taking medium game

2. opaww

opaww New Member

3. sagenodland

sagenodland New Member

I would plan on using wolf ammo I know its terrible but the whole point of getting the rifle is to shoot cheap and have it as a beater rifle

4. opaww

opaww New Member

You can get 147gr bulk ammo 440 rounds off line for around $80 which is fairly good stuff and a lot cheeper in the long run then wolf ammo.

5. sagenodland

sagenodland New Member

Thanks for the help how much are the sniper variants and how much more accurate are they?

6. opaww

opaww New Member

Mostly the sniper rifles are running around $399-$450 depending on who you buy it from. It is the scope that helps them for the accuricy orther then that it is the same rifle.

7. sagenodland

sagenodland New Member

Interesting that just proves the Russians didn't care they missed because you had 440 rounds for $80 :rolleyes:

8. opaww

opaww New Member

Check with Cope's Distributing, J&G sales just to name a few off the top of my head for ammo prices.

9. sagenodland

sagenodland New Member

10. unclebear

unclebear New Member

another thing when you go to buy it look at the barrel with a flash light, if the rifling looks good then you shouldn't have any real problems. With modern commercial soft points I've been able to hit my target at about 300 yards with a 5 inch group w./ scope.

11. JonM

JonM Moderator

The mosin snipers were picked off the regular rifle production line because of superior fit and smooth teigger pull. A real as made in russia by the russians sniper runs about 700-800$ a "sniper" that got tosed together by someone in the states is around 300-400$.

The difference is that the real ones were fitted together with the reciever and mount trued to each other with the rerticle of the scope inline with the bore.

The problem with the american put togethers is at extended ranges the bdc dials wont work properly because no one here has the machine tool jigs and technique the russians used to true everything up.

My opinion: if your not going to buy a 800$ mosin and want ascoped one just get a regular one and install a no-gunsmith mount and use a modern scope. The pu sniper scope is NOT an easy scope to learn to use. It is very unforging and proper parralax is very dependent on the shooter getting the exact same eye relief up down left right forward and back.

My mosin sniper with a good batch of ammo is sub moa. My nonsniper is about 1.5 to 2 moa with good ammo. I spend a LOT of my shooting time using iron sights

Last edited: Aug 26, 2011
  12. sagenodland

sagenodland New Member

I have seen the pu scope and it does not look like fun to lean,unless you grew up with it

13. AusLach

AusLach New Member

Wait, aren't you only 14 :confused:

14. sagenodland

sagenodland New Member

I usually mention it to my dad and he buys it for me as a gift

15. AusLach

AusLach New Member

No probs, it's just from some of your posts you seem older, that's all.

16. sagenodland

sagenodland New Member

I am just very educated on the subject of firearms and try to write as eloquent as I can

17. davemccarthy707

davemccarthy707 New Member

Hands down there are 2 options for a very accurate Mosin "out-of-the-box" so to speak. First is a Polish made M-44. Identified by an 11 in a oval stamped on top of the receiver. Simply the best put together Mosin ever Built. The Finnish M39 is your second choice. It is basically recycled receivers mated to new barrels. I have an M39 that will shoot MOA with iron sights.

-Dave

18. Sniper03

Sniper03 Supporting Member Supporter

If you want a good Sniper accurate rifle think of looking into a Savage 110 Tactical. For the money they can't be beat. Up the dollar scale some is the Remington PSS/TWS Rifle or what ever they are designating it today. They have changed it a couple of times before. Both rifles are excellent. But for the money go with the Savage. The PSS/TWS will not shoot anymore accurate from my experience. Unless you were to jump up to the Remington 40X Sniper Rifle but you are talking $$$$$.

19. sagenodland

sagenodland New Member

------------

20. sagenodland

sagenodland New Member