Mods You Have Encountered??

Discussion in 'The Club House' started by Dillinger, Jan 2, 2011.

1. Dillinger

Dillinger New Member

So, I read a comment in another thread about some mods at another forum being less than ideal.

Now, this is the only forum I belong too, and I was only a member of one other forum before coming here, but I did read Sherdog for MMA news from time to time. The Sherdog Mods all had chips on their shoulders and would ban someone just for an off hand comment, but that site has been a train wreck for some time now.

We, as the mods, keep hearing that other sites are more heavy handed and that we "let things slide here that get you banned elsewhere".

Now, I don't think we need to tighten the rules any. With the exception of Tigger clad poster, most of you understand what goes and what does not at FTF :rolleyes:.

But, from other forum experience, what is not allowed at other sites that got you banned or got someone you know banned?

I am honestly just curious. I don't have the time for other gun forums to find out for myself. :eek:

Thanks in advance -

JD

2. skullcrusher

skullcrusher New Member

I've never hung around any other gun forums, but I used to spend tons of time on the world's largest manufacturing forum. The membership is near 1m and many mods. I was a substitute mod there for a couple of years. Even there, banning came pretty easy. One conflict with another member (happens daily) and a warning was issued. Any arguement with the warning and/or the next flame, GONE! Apologies are expected with any warning and taken seriously. They do have a gunsmithing forum and most new posters there were trolls. They have a politics section full of union employees and only in that thread were heated arguements allowed to go on for a while.

Now, what I saw there made me realize that if any member got on the bad side of a mod, then their time there was very limited. So, if anyone disagreed strongly with a mod on how to say cut a piece of metal, it would not be long before that member was baited into banning.

I enjoy this forum for allowing people to be who they are. Not eveyone has to act the same, think the same or post the same. Real people (for the most part) and honest answers and opinions.

I think the mods here do a better job than I've experienced elsewhere and that is a huge part of what makes this the best forum on the webz, bar none. Maybe that is why the membership here is awesome and diverse.

3. JonM

JonM Moderator

ive been on a few non gun forums but ths one is pleasent and often funny. people dont bash folks but poking fun at some silliness is ok.

i think a well run forum keeps posts in the right topic and doesnt let idiocy run wild. i was part of a boating forum and got a bit of knowledge on tracker boats mods there would post liberal political viewpoints in threads on boat repair or boat issues i got banned for putting forth similar views but conservative pov. i thought i was ok since a mod was doing it. got a warning then another when i pointed out the hypocracy. then banned.

a well run forum you dont notice who the moderators are.

4. winds-of-change

winds-of-change The Balota's Staff Member

I belong to a couple other forums. One is mostly women and the cliques are very obvious. The mods were chosen by who liked who best. Another is a gun forum that is quite large and there is a lot of bad talking and bashing there. Well, not a lot but more than I am willing to take when I ask a newbie question.

This forum works on so many different levels. The people here seem sincere and helpful and there is a camaraderie here that I have never experienced anywhere else. I have thought about why that is and I can only conclude that it is Notdku and the mods who run this place. Our mods seem to know what to let go and what to squelch. I guess I can't really pinpoint it but this forum is a cut above any other forum I've joined. After just reading a whole bunch of posts by the now banned "GunLady" I think the difference is that this forum is mostly men and the women that are on here are not prissy girly girls but women who are confident and know how to stand up for themselves.

I am really enjoying my stay here. I am learning a lot and having a blast while learning.

5. CA357

CA357 New Member Supporter

That's a good post Winds. Notdku provides a great forum for us and it's also true that the mods are discerning and pretty laid back. However, the Members are what make FTF a great forum. We have members who are good people, quality people and they make this place what it is.

The membership makes this a pretty easy place to moderate.

I was a mod on another firearms forum and it got to the point where I hated to go there. I completely lost my enjoyment of the place. This place is the polar opposite.

Last edited: Jan 2, 2011
  6. Dillinger

Dillinger New Member

No doubt there, we have THE most generous and caring members of all the people I have actually met in real life.

I was merely wondering what goes on at other sites that brought you here, or what goes on elsewhere that could be utilized here. That sort of thing. I honestly don't have much first hand experience outside of this forum with mods, so I was curious.

I have read accounts that mentioning zombies will get threads closed and even people banned on some boards. I have heard of people getting warnings for saying clip instead of magazine or asking a question that is going to lead to a running battle like AK vs. AR?

7. Shihan

Shihan Active Member Lifetime Supporter

I like Bayonets and lasers and the occasional flashlight as my main Mods.

8. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

Moderators? We got MODERATORS? When did THIS happen? :p

Well, I hang around a couple. Spammers get whacked on all. One site has an autocensor that changes certain words- but is is a simple little idiot, and cannot tell difference between a derogatory term, and letters included inside valid words.

One is a forum on an auction site. Any question or complaint that is auction related gets immediate lock. Mods there DO have their favorites.

I mod on a Q&A type site. We can delete a question, delete an answer, and warn or block posters for several reasons. Most common? Spam, profanity, cyberbullying (name calling) nonsense answers, vandalizing a good answer. A lot of posters there are early teens, somewhat like babysitting. Did have problem with one grownup that wanted to insist ANY .22 revolver was worth $1,000. Generally, we can send warning to poster that what you are doing violates rules, but the guy that just posted 30 obscene answers gets blocked-period. They have software that, if using a cable modem, with track just about to the HOUSE. So don't bother trying to change your screen name.

9. 7point62

7point62 Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

I have been on some military forums but this my first firearm forum. If I can add to the discussion, I will, but I'm not here to stir up anything.

Last edited: Jan 4, 2011
  10. billdeserthills

billdeserthills New Member

I have been permanently banned and banned (temporarily) at this& other sites. I have also been so angered by a few mods that I have just never returned to a few (or more) sites. My once favorite site permanently banned me apparently for my dislike towards authority & my lack of shyness to discuss the topic. I have had several times offered the same exact make & model gun only in a New configuration for too much less money while smearing the other guy's more expensive POS. One day I went to a local Open Carry function. I met fifty or so people there and most of them frequented the same forums I did & had read my postings- while most seemed to agree, I realized that sometimes I might be a lil' too forceful with my opinion...

11. winds-of-change

winds-of-change The Balota's Staff Member

CA357, I fully agree but the members that are here and stay here do so because of the mods. I guess it's a circular thing. If the Mods had favorites and weren't fair across the board, the membership here would be a very different group of people.

12. David26

David26 New Member

I actualy got suspended from a Harley forum for using the words "ride like Hell" guess hell is to much of a big boy word for yuppy bikers

13. skullcrusher

skullcrusher New Member

Easy there, David. Language, man. You can't say h-e-double toothpics in public...:eek:

Nice knowing you, brother. :D

14. Gatekeeper

Gatekeeper New Member

FTF Mods? You guys ROCK!
    [​IMG]
    :p

15. russ

russ New Member

I have to agree that the combination of members and mods is what makes this place what it is. I've been a member of lots of different forums and the mod involvement/interaction here is as good as any I've seen. Mods here are involved with the membership on a peer level, not holding themselves up on a pedestal to lord over the unwashed masses like many forums I no longer visit.

I really like black rifles, but because of the attitudes of members mostly, I just can't bring myself to spend much time on arfcom. To many know-it-alls and mall ninjas there for me. The laid back, friendly community here is much more my style and I enjoy the time here. I think, for the most part, the membership here is not very douchebag tolerant and tends to self-moderate to a degree. Sort of a forum Neighborhood Watch program.

16. David26

David26 New Member

well thanks ******* for pointin it out. Look how long I have had it under my avater with a pic. of the place and them slow mods have yet to catch on :D

17. dunerunner

dunerunner New Member

I moderated on an auto forum and was banned "Forever" for pointing out that the forum owners had added a piece of code to the software redirecting members links to a certain Nation Wide Tire Distributor's site, to their own auto parts site.

Called them on it and within 18 hours went from having been moderating that forum for two years to banned forever.

Now, I have more time to spend here, shoot and get myself back in shape!!

As for this site! FTF is a moderators dream! The membership does part of the heavy lifting so all that is left is to make the place enjoyable, New, challenging, informative, suggest generosity, humility, and common sense. Oh, and ban spammers!! :D

18. Davyboy

Davyboy New Member

I took someone on here to task on his knowledge of Russian weapons. The git has banned me from his UK forum. His loss our mods rock.

19. danf_fl

danf_fl Retired Supporter

I wonder about a forum that allows me to have over 250 posts.

20. jca1

jca1 New Member

If I said: "Titties are fun" at defensivecarry.com someone would have three strokes, close the thread, and send me a friendly PM to inform me that I was a jackass.

Is that bad? not really. The owner of DC decided what DC would be, a family friendly site where such behavior is not allowed.

If I said: "Titties are fun" here at FTF.....the mods would all agree and say WOOOOO, RSG would post pictures of titties, WOC would say she bounced hers and they were fun, Shihan would say something amazing, Tango would shart himself trying to make a video of him playing with his titties...and we would all laugh and have a great time because collectively we all add up to "AWESOME"

Last edited: Jan 2, 2011