Modifying a !911.

Discussion in 'Gunsmithing Forum' started by limbkiller, Oct 27, 2013.

  1. limbkiller

    limbkiller New Member

    Modifying a 1911.

    Well if I put my mind to it I'm pretty good with my hands. I consider my self a master carpenter so I'm not unfamiliar with tools. So I decided to take a SA GI and add a few parts to it. I don't have all the tools to finish it like cut the slide for sights so I will have to send it off and get that done. But other things I figured I could tackle.

    This project is far from done but is getting a whole lot closer. Still need a little blending and some more polishing then sights and I will call it good for know.

    What I started with.

    The first thing I did was to install a bobtail. Not great but since the frame is cut I will have to live with it. Still need some blending here.


    Next I got a Smith and Alexander .220 radius Beavertail grip safety and the jig. Grinding metal off of a gun will make your butt pucker I assure you. Almost done with this know. Still need a little blending here also.




    Next I installed an extended Wilson thumb safety.

    The way it looks so far. I need to break it all down and finish polishing it.

    Last edited: Oct 27, 2013
  2. DrumJunkie

    DrumJunkie New Member

    Pretty cool...I never did like the GI sights. But that problem is fixable too if one wants to.:)

  3. Axxe55

    Axxe55 The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

    great job on the 1911 Limbkiller!:D looking good so far!

    and i fully understand the pucker factor when grinding on a pistol!:eek:
  4. SSGN_Doc

    SSGN_Doc Well-Known Member

    Nice job. Removing metal seems like it would be easy to folks who've never done it. The pucker factor comes from realizing if you go too far, that putting metal back is a whole lot harder.
  5. Fred_G

    Fred_G Member

    Looks good! I like that grip safety.