Modification to carry gun

Discussion in 'General Handgun Discussion' started by Shalym, Oct 28, 2015.

1. Shalym

Shalym New Member

Any liability issues with removing the magazine disconnect on a carry gun?
    [​IMG]

2. JonM

JonM Moderator

not being a lawyer i can only give an unproffessional opinion (this is not legal advice and represents my sole opinion on the issue):

only if you sell it or lend it to someone who then shoots itself with the gun. or you damage someone else's property or negligently discharge it and wound or kill someone else. you might have an issue.

personally i dont carry a gun design that includes an idiotic mag safety. i have some guns that came with them, but i never carry them for defensive use, sell them without the safety restored, or lend any gun to anyone

Last edited: Oct 28, 2015

3. hiwall

hiwall Well-Known Member

There certainly could be. But you would have to weigh that fact against your desire to remove said safety.

4. Cannibal

Cannibal New Member

I don't modify my carry guns at all. I refuse to give an overzealous prosecutor any footholds I can avoid. Juries are weird, so I want to present myself as just a normal guy with a normal (factory stock) gun that reluctantly had to respond to an imminent threat.

Best to be selective when choosing what you'll carry, IMO.

5. 25-5

25-5 New Member

What I have noticed in the media is that after a shooting, any modifications done to a firearm or special ammo was done for the sole purpose of killing someone. Adjusting the trigger or JHP ammo come to mind.
    How such situations turned out l don't know, but it is a liability.
    Now that the Constitution is under attack one should ponder the decisions carefully.

6. Cannibal

Cannibal New Member

I use the same ammo as most local law enforcement use. For one, it's excellent ammunition. Secondly, when asked why I used said ammunition, I can just respond, "It's what the police use, so I thought it best." Hell, the box even says "Law Enforcement Ammunition". It is not restricted ammunition though.

7. danf_fl

danf_fl Retired Supporter

Take this test:

Sir, would you explain the modifications made to your firearm, and why modifications were made, to a jury?

Would you explain how you have more knowledge on firearm design than the manufacturer that your modifications improved said firearm?

What college did you attend for mechanical engineering?

In today's society, the firearm owner is guilty in the eyes of some people before going to court.
    Now, should you limit usage of the modded firearm to the range, I don't see where these questions would be asked.

8. Dakota1

Dakota1 Active Member

Removing any safety device will allow the D.A. to paint a picture of you as reckless & careless - so reckless that you deliberately removed a safety device that is "designed to save lives."

"Ladies & gentlemen of the jury: The gun's manufacturer put this device on their guns to save lives & this defendant purposely removed them because he didn't want anything to slow down or interfere with his desire to kill people."

I also don't like such devices, internal locks, loaded chamber indicators, etc. so I won't use a gun for defensive purposes that has them.

9. gunman41mag

gunman41mag Active Member

Well i bought this gun used, there are over a million different guns models made, i just shot as i bought it

10. Mercator

Mercator Active Member

In this particular case, minimal risk. Only if you forget (or the next owner is unaware) that the disconnect is no longer in place, and shoot someone unintentionally, with the mag removed.

The magazine disconnect is not integral to any design, and is found rarely in modern self-defense handguns. Honestly - I'd leave it alone, because it protects YOU if someone goes for your gun. But removing it is not in itself a detrimental move, like making a light trigger or disabling thumb safety.