Modern Made Mosin Nagant Bent Bolt

Discussion in 'Curio & Relic Discussion' started by JayCody, Aug 31, 2013.

1. JayCody

JayCody New Member

With my Company I have been working on a U.S. Made Modern Mosin Nagant Bolt with a bent handle for quite some time and I am wondering if anyone would Purchase it if I were to Invest in the Tooling to manufacture it.
    The bolt assembly is made of 4140 Steel and features a bent handle. One of the biggest upsides of this bolt would be that it is made of a solid piece of steel, unlike the other bent bolts on the market.

2. Axxe55

Axxe55 The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

welcome to the forum and stop over in the Introductions Section and say hello to everyone and share a little about yourself.

do you have any pictures of your product? sounds like an interesting project and might be a nice item to sell.

3. JayCody

JayCody New Member

No I don't have any pictures yet, I'm working with a manufacturer and I hope to have some prototypes for anyone who wants to test them.

4. Axxe55

i think it's a rather interesting idea and has some merit as many people that buy Mosins, like to mount scopes on them and a bent bolt is pretty much needed if mounting the scope in the traditional place on the reciever.

another one i have seen is the one where you cut off the bolt handle and drill and tap it for an new bolt hand that attaches with screws. very cheesy looking.

wish you luck and show us some of the prototypes if possible to gain a better idea as to how you are doing it differently. very interested.

5. akms47nagont

akms47nagont New Member

Around what price range
    I'll test one for you
    I would also recommend researching that in case you were accidentally making a duplicate

But for the right price under maybe $80 I would definitely purchase one

6. akms47nagont

akms47nagont New Member

Have you considered contacting a blacksmith having him modify the current bolts into bent bolts Especially for those with matching serial numbers

just a thought

7. Axxe55

good thought, but if the gun is a serial number matching rifle, it might be better to modify another bolt as when the original bolt is bent, the value just went down, regardless of it being a number matching unit.

8. JayCody

JayCody New Member

That brought me to another problem. The price... I don't plan on making much money on this as it is just a hobby. My idea was that people would only need one and could use it with each of their mosin rifles. I also feel it would outlast the original mosin bolts making it worth the money.

9. JayCody

JayCody New Member

And good point if a mosin nagant bolt is modified the value is gone. With this bolt you wouldn't need to worry about ruining the value of the firearm

10. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

Jay- please understand I am NOT talking down to you- but the mention of swapping bolts from one rifle to another- do you understand about headspacing on a rifle bolt?

11. Axxe55

that's a good point as well. would there be a problem with headspacing on a Mosin by swapping the bolts?

i see where C3 is coming from and it does seem to be something that should be considered. headspace on a firearm is very important and i should have thought about it as well.

very good catch C3!

12. JayCody

JayCody New Member

Yes I do and if the bolt was to be switched from rifle to rifle the head space is a major issue. I don't Recommend anyone change a rifle bolt and shoot it without checking headspace. Now lets say I have a normal mosin rifle and I took the newly made bolt and placed the Russian made bolt head on the newly made bolt would that correct the headspace?

I also want to state that for this project I appreciate the criticism, it will only lead to a better product.

13. therewolf

therewolf New Member

Sounds like a great idea.

I think we all are waiting for a price, here.

:confused:

14. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

Jay- no-it would not. You have to look at everything from the lockup point on the bolt to the face of the bolt, as any difference in length will affect headspace. One of the reason for serially numbered bolts was to keep THE bolt with THE rifle.

15. JayCody

JayCody New Member

Like I said I want it as inexpensive as can be. I just realized that it would be best to sell just the bolt body. the spring, firing pin, and bolt head would be supplied from the rifle the new bolt would be going on. I would have the whole bolt assembly for sale as a option

16. JayCody

JayCody New Member

Ok, I will look into some options I have to fix the headspace issue. If someone was to purchase it and the headspace was unsafe I would gladly issue a full refund

17. JayCody

JayCody New Member

Okay I believe I have come up with a solution.. I will measure the headspace of say 20 mosin nagants and come up with an average headspace measurement and manufacture the bolt with that measurement this way there is a good chance the bolt headspace will be safe and if for some reason it isn't I will refund the purchase. Does that make sense?

18. trip286

trip286 New Member

Do you intend to refund a damaged face and missing eyes?

Not saying you have a bad idea at all. But I think you need to refine it a little. Do a little more research and really brainstorm this.

Think there may be a way to build one with a readily field adjustable head space? You would be well placed to also sell head space gauges.

19. JonM

JonM Moderator

20. JayCody

JayCody New Member

That is exactly what I thought because the bolt head has the locking lugs that would ultimately effect headspace. I have a meeting set with a gunsmith and I will have a answer to this headspace issue.

Please keep in mind I would never sell anything unless I was 100% sure the product was safe.