Firearms Talk banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,789 Posts
About the only thing I can tell you through the pictures is it's German and pre 1938. The Weimar Eagle was phased out in lieu of the hakenkruz in 1937. Sauer and Sohn were the last manufacturer to use the Weimar Eagle. The manufacturer identity would be on top of the receiver under the mount for the optics as well as the date of manufacture. The serial number has an N prefix. The first 10,000 of the yearly run had no letter prefix followed by another 10,000 with the prefix A and so on. When they got to the end of the Z prefix they then doubled the letters, AA. These 98s were made in great numbers but even till the end of the war the tolerances were quite good. Pre war 98s are extremely tight, the best of the lot.

After the war a lot of G.I.s brought souvenir K98s and K98ks home thinking they would make fine rifles to hunt with. In the 50s a decent gunsmith could make a living taking ex military 98s, sticking the actions in civilian stocks and mounting optics on them. This is what you have. Even though I have seen some of these with magnificent stocks, engraving, etc. collectors have always looked down on these conversations with disdain and values go the same way. If that were a completely matching pre war K98k in the same condition as when it left the battlefield it could easily bring $3K. As it sits it may bring $600. I will say these conversations are starting to get a little more respect these days. Really nice ones can bring as much as $1K. The old 98s are accurate, the actions are strong and they fire the respected 7.92x57mm. round which is equal to the 30-06 unless rechambered. They make superb deer rifles even with their dated optics.

Looks like the bolt has been swapped out or worked on. I don't see a step in the barrel which military Mausers had so perhaps a new barrel sits on it. Have you tried to chamber a round? Many of these have been rechambered to other calibers.

·
Registered
290 Posts
Proof marks mean very little here check if it's a c-ring reciever or a split ring , the rest is now a sporter in god knows what caliber .

·
Premium Member
6,789 Posts
Proof marks mean very little here check if it's a c-ring reciever or a split ring , the rest is now a sporter in god knows what caliber .
Wouldn't any receiver that's pre war be a c ring?

·
Registered
290 Posts
Wouldn't any receiver that's pre war be a c ring?
I will look I'm not sure , but what was the ring actually for I knew an old german gunsmith and he told me his take on it . I would be interested to hear your thoughts on it . What he told me was they had a torque wrench that fit into the receiver to tighten the barrel . And of course the claw fits the c ring .

·
Premium Member
6,789 Posts
I've read where the C ring was replaced by the H ring receiver starting with FN in 1948.

·
Registered
45 Posts
The H ring was a faster/cheaper way of doing it from what I've been told. The C ring is the primary torque shoulder, and it also strengthens the receiver ring. When you're cranking out hundreds of thousands of military 98's, you need the mass produced barrels to headspace when they get torqued down. "Ideally", installing a barrel, when it's torqued to the C ring, there should be a slight crush fit of the barrel to the receiver ring face, or about a maximum of .003 clearance. Both the C ring and receiver ring face should be trued first, before the barrel machining work is done. I've pulled some sporter barrels from 98's that were torqued down tight against the receiver, and had a good .005 gap between the breech face and C ring that was packed with gunk. I guess that was "good enough" for the smith that did it.

·
Registered
290 Posts
I checked the following have C rings , 1909 arg. , VZ 24 , G 33-40 , DOT 44 , La Corona 1946 , I also have a colombian most likely made by FN and it's a H ring . First thing I do when I buy an old sporter is stick my finger in the receiver to check . Now does it matter I don't know but the small ring Mauser has no ring and they shoot just fine with suitable cartridges .

1 - 9 of 9 Posts