Model 94 Silver Dollar?

Discussion in 'General Rifle Discussion' started by rferguson61, Dec 25, 2011.

1. rferguson61

rferguson61 New Member

Hey I got a 1971 Win 94 30-30 for christmas. It has a 1894 Silver Dollar inlayed into the stock. I was told before that its one of the commemoratives but i cant find anything on it. Can anyone tell me anything about it? Let me know if you need more info.

2. Txhillbilly

Txhillbilly Active Member

The only Commemorative rifle that it shows that Winchester produced in 1971 was the NRA Centennial rifle and also a matching musket.They both had NRA 1871-1971 engraved on the receivers,and a NRA medallion in the buttstock.

Winchester wasn't the only company that made Commemorative rifles,even today there are many Hunting/Fishing organizations that have Commemorative rifles/shotguns/pistols made every year.
    They are only worth what someone is willing to pay for them,and mainly that is whatever that particular rifle is worth in the Gun Values-Blue Book.

3. rferguson61

rferguson61 New Member

So then what is with the silver dollar in the stock? I've heard of lots that have it...

4. robocop10mm

robocop10mm Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

I can find no references to a Winchester made commemerative with a silver dollar inlayed in the stock. Most of the commemratives from Winchester have a medallion inlayed in the stick, but not a silver dollar. If yours does have such an inlay it could have replaced a factory medallion or the commerative could be from one of many companies that did customizing of factory rifles.

What else does the rifle say on it?

5. hiwall

hiwall Well-Known Member

When I was gunsmithing people had me inlay different items in their rifle stocks. it might not be factory done.

6. towboater

towboater Well-Known Member

Guessing someone removed the medallion, and replaced with silver dollar. With the price of silver, I'd say it increased the value.
    If it don't have a mint mark, its worth more than the gun. Id be very tempted to take it out and check.

Last edited: Dec 30, 2011
  7. trip286

trip286 New Member

Especially if its one of those collectible coins. It'd be worth it to me to pry it out and sell the coin if it is.

8. rferguson61

rferguson61 New Member

I'll go over and take pics soon. Its currently locked in my dads gun cabinet. I didnt see any other marks on it but I know its a1894 siver dollar.

Edit: It doesnt have any other markings on it...just Winchester model 94 30-30 made in new haven conn. on the left side of the barrel.

Last edited: Dec 30, 2011
  9. Txhillbilly

Since it has no markings on the receiver,it probably isn't a commemorative rifle,just a rifle that someone put a silver dollar in the butt-stock. The Value is whatever a Winchester 30-30 is going for in your area.
    It looks like a nice rifle,enjoy shooting it.

10. rferguson61

rferguson61 New Member

Was that common for people to do? Cuz i see it a lot. I mean I dint plan on ever getting rid of it cuz it was my grandpas. Just interested in the history

11. Txhillbilly

In the 60's-70's it was very popular for people to have things inletted,inlayed,and carved on the stocks of their favorite rifles.
    I've seen some that were very nicely done with exotic woods,and very fancy carvings over the years.

12. clr8ter

clr8ter New Member

Good luck with the coin being worth more than the gun.......It's glued in, and if pried out, WILL damage the coin.....worth Silver Spot. Just cause it has no mint mark, does not mean $. Sometimes JUST the mint mark means Big $. If it's worn, or has glue residue on it, probably worth only silver spot. Right now silver spot is $27+. This coin has .772 oz., in it, I believe. So it's probably worth in the $20 neighborhood. I'd leave it alone.

13. Hawg

Hawg New Member

The dollar looks pretty good and would be worth 15-20 bucks if it didn't have glue stuck all over the back of it. Unfortunately cleaning the glue off will reduce the value. Cleaning the coin at all will reduce value.

14. rferguson61

rferguson61 New Member

I looked up 1894 Morgan dollars...the one without the mint mark is worth a crap ton. This gun was my late grandpas rifle so im not going to ever get rid of it or pull the dollar out. I just like knowing what I have.

15. trip286

trip286 New Member

It can be a good investment one day. I'm against selling guns, but I've had to sell a couple myself. You just never know what the future holds, that silver dollar alone could save your butt one day.

16. Txhillbilly

A heatgun used correctly will allow removal of the silver dollar if you wanted to remove it for some reason.You'd also need to protect the stock with some damp rags.

17. JonM

JonM Moderator

thats a morgan dollar from 1894 worth anywhere from 60-1000$ depending on which one and condition.

value of the rifle is actually decreased because of the inlay. if that dollar is a rare or in good condition your going to want to be very careful getting it out.

custom work on guns generally decreases the value depending on who did it and if you can prove it was a desired custom gunsmith or not.

personally i would have the dollar removed very carefully and evaluated then get a new stock if its a keeper.

if it is valuable coin further use and exposure to the atmosphere will degrade its value. since its a heirloom you might think about buying a lower valued morgan to replace it if yours is a high value one. they arent uncommon.

Last edited: Jan 1, 2012
  18. rferguson61

rferguson61 New Member

That is exactly what I was thinking about doing. Im not concerned about the value of the gun because im going to keep it in the family and continue to hand it down. But as for the dollar...it wasn't one my Grandpa put in it or anything...it was bought that way. And I feel its almost irresponsible to let it deteriorate.

19. clr8ter

clr8ter New Member

The dollar won't really deteriorate if you leave it in there. I would stake it to a coin shop in the gun and ask their opinion on it's worth. If I'm not mistaken, the mint mark will be on the side that's glued to the stock. Sooo...... Condition will be EVERYTHING on this one. I still wouldn't hold your breath. If it IS a high dollar coin, I don't see any way to get it out without wrecking the value....