model 94 help

Discussion in 'General Rifle Discussion' started by boudmanj, Nov 25, 2013.

1. boudmanj

boudmanj New Member

I just picked up an old 94 30/30, it's not worth a lot, but needs some new furniture, was looking for synthetic, maybe a tactical look, just playin around with some things, thanks for any help

2. JW357

JW357 New Member

A tactical Winchester lever gun?

Synthetic furniture on a gun like that?

:Face palm:

3. mountainman13

mountainman13 New Member

I left it to you to say. Lol

4. mountainman13

mountainman13 New Member

You should be able to get parts on numrich.

5. boudmanj

boudmanj New Member

Thanks for the help mountainman, I'll check it out

And I post on here for help, not be criticized for the choices of MY weapons, lets keep it professional

6. JW357

JW357 New Member

What I said WAS professional, compared to what I was thinking.

I hope it works out for you.

7. SSGN_Doc

SSGN_Doc Well-Known Member

Marlins tend to lend themselves to the "tactical lever gun" a bit better than the Winchesters because of the closed top action and sight mounting potential. But it has been done, so I don't know why folks are so shocked at the idea. The Henry when it came out during the War Between the States was essentially a tactical lever action rifle. The big disadvantage is the slow process for loading, and unloading. Other than that folks could do a lot worse.

Of course there are tasteful iterations out there:
    [​IMG]

And there are executions of the concept that look like something a raccoon shat:
    [​IMG]

8. JTJ

JTJ Well-Known Member Supporter

Compared to single shots the levers were fast. Boyd's sell new wood furniture for the 94's if you change your mind. The one thing I would do is mount a peep or a forward rail for a ler scope or red dot. I cant handle the open sights very well anymore. I do OK with peeps though.

9. ScottA

ScottA FAA licensed bugsmasher Lifetime Supporter

Ok... Enough with the jokes about the rifle.

10. boatme98

boatme98 New Member

I've always been one for "it's yours, do what you like" but I've always shied away from buying something that someone else has customized. Especially guns and cars.

I've only been interested in firearms for about 30 years, a relative newcomer, my start was with historical and collectables. Of course I wanted to restore stuff at first, then I found, like cars, sometimes it's better to leave well enough alone.

Is your 94 older and collectable, or is it a repro? If it's a repro, have at it. If not, why would you do that and negate all value?

Winchesters aren't being made anymore, even the Japanese made guns (not that there's anything wrong with them) will eventually be museum pieces.

Add a peep sight, if you must, oil it, and shoot it.

11. boudmanj

boudmanj New Member

@boatme98, I've ran the numbers, unfortunately, no it is not a pre 64, serial number in the 3 millions, I do find a new stock, cut the old one down past the terrible crack, tried cold blueing, considering I got the gun on a trade and it didn't cost me anything, I threw a coat of rattle can to help combat rust a little, the gun shoots great after a little tlc on the internals, I don't think it was ever cleaned, it's just an old beat up trick gun, that's not worth a whole lot, unbelievable how far some will let a gun go, it's still cosmetically I'm rough shape, but after drifting the rear sight a bit, shoots a hell of a group at 50 yds, I'm pleased considering it was pretty much free, but new sights will be the last installment on the gun

12. boudmanj

boudmanj New Member

That 464 looks horrible, feels even worse, the only thing I would do is try to put an aimpoint micro for faster shooting on deer that are being run by dogs