Model 66-1 now in the fold

Discussion in 'Revolver Handguns' started by rmclamb, Jul 3, 2014.

1. rmclamb

rmclamb New Member

Seems my dad had been keeping this up in his closet and I never knew he had it. Now resides in my safe. ImageUploadedByFirearms Talk1404390104.299586.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Firearms Talk

2. Rick1967

Rick1967 Well-Known Member

Very nice. I have a 64-6. Yours is a 357 mag, right?

3. rmclamb

rmclamb New Member

Yes it is.

4. rmclamb

rmclamb New Member

Yes it is

5. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

Trust me- you are gonna like that! Mine is a 66 (no dash) with a 5 inch.

6. rmclamb

rmclamb New Member

It's great to have a piece that can be passed down to my son that was his grandfathers.

7. robocop10mm

robocop10mm Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

The Model 66 is a great gun. Meant to be shot with specials and carried with Magnums. You will experience some issues after a few humdred Magnum loads and/or a thousand or so .38 specials.

The most common issue is "end shake cylinder'. The cylinder will develop some fore and aft movement and the cylinder gap will seemingly close up. The installation of an "end shake bearing" will corect this and likely stop the issue. Cheap fix.

8. rmclamb

rmclamb New Member

Thanks for the info I'll keep it mind. Looking forward to putting some rounds through it next week!

9. CrazedJava

CrazedJava New Member

I fired one of those recently. No magnum rounds, but it was a blast. I had never shot a centerfire revolver before and really liked it. Still considering buying it off of the owner but not sure I want to part with the money.

10. rmclamb

rmclamb New Member

Put some rounds through it the other day and man what a blast!

11. Sniper03

Sniper03 Supporting Member Supporter

rm,

That is One Very Nice Pistol! I carried one for years on the Sheriffs Department and later on the Metro PD! That is very nice an excellent keepsake and since it is Dads gift to you! It is a 357 Mag. And another great thing about it is you can shoot 38 Special Ammunition in it for just plinking, target shooting and training . Although they are a good sturdy quality handgun not taking anything away from it! I would not always subject it to 357 Magnum rounds as a steady diet if shooting hundreds of rounds through it. Over time they can loosen it up since if you shoot any full blown 357 Magnum Rounds in it you will see what I am talking about if you shoot a lot of them at one time!
    We shot 38 Specials and even 38 Special Wadcutters for most of our training since the 38 Special Wadcutters are fairly reasonable to buy. If you are going to do a lot of target shooting with it which I would encourage you to do they are the ticket! If you shoot lead Wadcutters just keep the cylinders and bore clean after each session.
    Once again very fine and good looking pistol! You will enjoy it! Have Fun! :D