Model 61 Ammo

Discussion in '.22 Rifle/Rimfire Discussion' started by Blueguns, May 5, 2012.

1. Blueguns

Blueguns New Member

Hey,
    I have a 1948 Winchester model 61. It is a pump action, but is very picky about its ammunition. It does work with about 95% of Remington 36 Grain L.R. Is there a better ammunition for these guns?

Thanks,
    Blueguns

2. Blueguns

Blueguns New Member

3. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

What does not "work"? Feed, fire, extract?

4. hiwall

hiwall Well-Known Member

I've never had a 61 that that wouldn't feed. I would have to say that I doubt its the ammo but is a hardware problem.

5. Blueguns

Blueguns New Member

Every once in a while when I pump it the round will eject but the new one will hit the side of the chamber. All of the parts function perfectly it has only actually jammed (when the old won't eject and the new won't go in) once and that was after about 500 straight rounds (it continued without jamming for 500 more that day). It doesn't load Winchester rounds into the chamber they hit the side every other time. Again I'm sure there is nothing internally wrong with the gun.

6. locutus

locutus Well-Known Member Supporter

I have always had good results with using standard velocity (match type) ammo in older rifles. The slightly lower pressure causes a bit less wear on the old timers. and they're usually a bit more accurate.

7. Blueguns

Blueguns New Member

Yes I have done that what brand and grain round do you shoot your older rim fires with.

8. locutus

locutus Well-Known Member Supporter

Usually Winchester match or CCI. 40 grain. But any of them are fine for the old timers.

The top end match rounds, like wolf, RWS and Eley are reserved for the Anschutz, as they really don't give much improvement in the Marlin 60 or the old Remington 12.

9. Blueguns

Blueguns New Member

I'm gonna give CCI a try. Thanks.

10. Blueguns

Blueguns New Member

Also, will these guns shoot modern day .22SR? It is stamped that it does shoot short rifle cartridges, but I really don't wanna mess it up. Just asking as a precaution.