Firearms Talk banner

model 39 ballard rifling

3K views 5 replies 3 participants last post by  Eric0424 
#1 ·
Did marlin make some in 70's or when did they stop or start or make some extras or whatever . I have one I can not find alot of good info on it. Thanks

#2 ·
To the best of my knowledge, Marlin converted the 39A to microgroove during 1954. That year will have some Ballard (about 200 by rumor) and the rest M-G. They changed some of the larger calibers back to Ballard years later, but not the 39A. Are you saying you have a non M-G after 1954?

#4 · (Edited)
Count the lands a grooves at the muzzle, the Ballard barrels should have only 7 grooves for the 22, the Micro-Groove barrel will have 16 if I remember right.

The link below probably has more information on the Marlin barrels than you want, but it's worth reading.

Marlin Microgroove Barrels

The letter date code on your rifle is most likely a D (1947) if you're sure it's Ballard rifling, as there is no B and the R is 1957-58. The Micro groove was started in 1953 on the rimfire barrels.

#5 ·
39 A Ballard rifling

It has 7, And now I'm sure it's 1947 as you said, that makes more sense. Thanks a lot. It is in very good condition for its age . Also had a redfield scope (4 power) 3/4" tube on it. I can not find much info on that .only that they stoped using S# there is none on the this one .

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.