model 37 load sugestions

Discussion in 'Smith & Wesson Forum' started by spif, Dec 5, 2014.

1. spif

spif New Member

My wife just purchased an older model 37 5 shot revolver. I was shooting some 148 wads that were light target loads. It shot well but I was looking for a fairly light defense load.

Jay

2. Rick1967

Rick1967 Well-Known Member

A manufacturer started making a 90 grain self defense load for the 38 Special. It is being marketed toward women. It is in a pink box. I dont remember who is making it. But there cant be that many pink boxes of 38 special out there.

3. spif

spif New Member

Thanks Rick I'll look for it

4. Sniper03

Sniper03 Supporting Member Supporter

Spif,

I would agree~! I would get her some Hornady Critical Defense rounds. Have her shoot a few of them at close range so she is familiar with them. Then go back to target rounds for training her.
    I have switched over to them for most of my self defense guns.

5. hiwall

hiwall Well-Known Member

A model 37 is my EDC gun. I started with 148 grain loads but after testing many bullet weights and loadings I have settled on 115 grain. My particular gun really likes these and is very accurate with them. I happen to load my own but you could likely find factory 115's also.

6. spif

spif New Member

I reload also. What load do you use? I'm trying to keep it moderate since it's an air weight.

7. hiwall

hiwall Well-Known Member

I have jacketed 115 gr hollow point bullets and use Red Dot powder. I believe the load is only 2.1 grains of powder (if I remember I will check later to be sure). The load is not hot and sure shoots well.

8. John_Deer

John_Deer New Member

I carry a 9mm. I get better prices on critical duty. If critical duty is available for a 38spl your money will be better spent.

9. spif

spif New Member

Thanks Guys I usually load the 148 wads with 2.7g of bullseye. My 52 likes that. I did load some 140 XTP's with 4.2g of Accurate #2 because I'm out of bullseye. I'm looking for something That performs well at low velocities as a defense round.