model 36

Discussion in 'Revolver Handguns' started by fadisahouri, Jan 6, 2012.

1. fadisahouri

fadisahouri New Member

i have smith and wesson model 36 subnose i want to buy a modern grip so i wana ask if any j frame well fit my gun?

2. danf_fl

danf_fl Retired Supporter

IIRC, there are two types of grips.
    Rounded frame and square frame. Look up the model 36 on google images and you will see that some have a rounded grip base and others don't.
    Grips for the square frame will fit the rounded.

3. fadisahouri

fadisahouri New Member

here is picture of my revolver am not even sure its model 36 am new with revolvers

Attached Files:

4. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

Yes, standard J frame grips will fit yours- although those are decent grips you have on there.

Open the cyllinder, and look at the part of the frame directly below the barrel- you should see a number like 36, or 36-1, 36-2, etc.

5. fadisahouri

fadisahouri New Member

i open it the number is T523 the seller who i bought it from says its brazilian but the frame says its made in usa

6. c3shooter

A Model 36 is a Smith and Wesson. On the right side, in front of the trigger, and below the barrel, it will say
    Made in USA
    Marcas Registradas
    Smith & Wesson
    Springfield, Mass

On the LEFT side, directly below the cylinder release, it will have the S&W logo in a circle, and trade mark, and reg. US pat office

However, I think yours may be a Charter Arms Undercover. That is not a model 36 (J frame is S&Ws designation of that frame size and shape) However, Charter followed the S&W shape pretty closely, and J frame grips should fit. DO NOT expect other S&W parts to fit your gun if it is NOT a S&W.

PS- Your caliber marking may say .38 S&W Special. That is the CALIBER, not the make.

Last edited: Jan 6, 2012
  7. fadisahouri

fadisahouri New Member

here is micro pictures the last one is the number on the frame when i open the cylender

Attached Files:

8. c3shooter

OK- yours is definitely a S&W. The T 523 number- is that stamped on the frame of the gun, or is it on the crane of the gun (part that swings open?)

9. fadisahouri

fadisahouri New Member

the bumber on the crane

10. fadisahouri

fadisahouri New Member

i mean the number on the crane

11. headhunter

headhunter Member

c3, my first model 19 purchased in '70 had a similar trademark stamp The mainspring anchor to only one side of the frame seems unusual. I've both an early 60 and an earlier 36 and neither look like that. Puzzled, Doug.

12. pmanton

pmanton Member

I read something in the Rifleman magazine that these model 36s are getting a bit pricey. My wife has the Ladysmith version with rosewood grips and fancy Ladysmith script. Since we still have the box and stuff I'm wondering if we shouldn't pack it away and get her something not quite so pricey.

Paul
    Salome, AZ

13. fadisahouri

fadisahouri New Member

the seller says its not smith and wesson its brazilian trade and all the smith and wesoon stamp and the made in usa is all fake

14. trip286

trip286 New Member

Edit, irrelevant

15. Gonzilla

Gonzilla Active Member

I've got the same Pachymr grip on my SW chiefs Sp.

It does a great job on recoil mgt.

16. c3shooter

Unable to comment on whether your revolver is a fake or not. The Taurus revolvers from Brazil were very similar to S&Ws, but did not copy markings. The "Marcas Registrada" marking on an true S&W was placed there due to widespread counterfeiting in Spain in the 1920s.

I do not know about Jordan, but a counterfeit marked firearm is illegal in the US- Federal law requires guns to be marked with name and country of the maker or importer.

17. fusil

fusil New Member

Sure doesn't look like a Smith & Wesson. Has anyone ever seen that mainspring perch on a Smith? Or that trigger guard?

18. IDVague

IDVague New Member

It is hard to say based on the photos if it is a fake or a S&W, but if the seller says it is fake, it probably is. The price of 36's would encourage counterfeiting. As for the frame type, it is a round-butt frame.

19. Olympus

Olympus New Member

Does it have a serial number stamped on the bottom of the butt?