Model 29-2. . . What would you give?

Discussion in 'Revolver Handguns' started by diggsbakes, Aug 8, 2010.

1. diggsbakes

diggsbakes New Member

OK boys I'm thinking about picking up a 29 here soon, but have hesitations. Help me out. . .

Features:
    Blued, looks to have very mimial holster wear
    No nicks or scratches
    Great bore
    Wooden Houge finger grooved grips (would certainly have to get some originals soon)
    6.5" barrel (wish it was 4" bad)

Overall really great shape.

I'm thinkng about going up to $800, but I've passed up better deals than that this year (very sadly :() I'm dying for a 29, but in a perfect world it would be 4" not 6" and stainless. That's not a deal breaker though.

I could probably pick it up for $800-$850.

SO. . . Get it or wait once again???

2. hunter Joe

hunter Joe New Member

So what would Dirty Harry do? $800 for a 29-2 is a fair price but not if your going to try and turn it over for a profit. You'd have to be willing to sit on that one for that price IMHO.

Good Luck, Joe

Last edited: Aug 8, 2010

3. M14sRock

M14sRock New Member

The 6.5" carries a bit of a premium. It is the one Dirty Harry carried, and they were made in limited quantities. The 6" later became the standard, and is far more common.

Old "N" frames in nice shape bring good money. I recently sold my 4" P/R M57 for $1,000.

If you want a 4" 629 and you buy the 6.5" 29, will you still want the 4" 629?

4. spittinfire

spittinfire New Member Supporter

I know these aren't the same gun but I only gave $450 for my 629-1 8 3/8". $800 seems a bit hight to me unless you want to keep it for a while like joe said.

5. canebrake

canebrake New Member

[​IMG]

$800 is what I payed for my 29-2. It came with the wood display case and all the tools. It was rated at 98% and I got it as a safe queen. That plan lasted right up to my first range trip to test fire my new acquisition.

A vintage S&W 29-2 P&R is a real piece of mechanical art. And I'm hooked, I can't stop shooting this safe queen. I guess that makes it a safe trollop, a fun to be with trollop! Just ask utf59, he had his way with her!

If you're looking for a collectible, investment piece make sure it has at minimum the following.
    • 95%+ rating
    • presentation box
    • papers
    • tools
    • yellow lift strap
    • light cylinder ring
    • low round count
    • target trigger
    • target hammer
    • target grip

This gun will run you something North of $800.

If you are buying a shooter then the price should drop with each item missing from the above list.

When I realized I was going to shoot the Smith I changed out the target grips. Mine are pristine and extremely important to the value of the piece. I swapped them out with a Hogue Monogrip.

[​IMG]

This close up shows the case hardened trigger and hammer. SWEET!

Everyone should own a vintage S&W .44 Rem Mag once in their lifetime. It's cathartic!

6. danf_fl

danf_fl Retired Supporter

To each their own, but IMO $800 is a little high. I just sold a 25-2 for $350.00 after I put another hammer in it.

7. utf59

utf59 New Member

I did indeed, and she was very willing! Smooth and sweet, too, and a great shooter.

8. stalkingbear

stalkingbear Active Member

800$ sounds just a wee bit steep for just the gun. I'd try to get them down a little.

9. robocop10mm

robocop10mm Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

Revolver prices have gone through the roof in the past few years. The N-frame Smiths are REALLY pricy these days. $800 is about what the market is commanding these days. I think the prices ratcheted up when the new Smiths came with MIM parts and safety locks.

I won't pi$$ y'all off by telling you what I paid for the N-frames I have.

10. NGIB

NGIB New Member

11. diggsbakes

diggsbakes New Member

Thanks ya'll. I guess I'm gonna keep looking as this offering has neither the original box or grips.

This is definitely gonna be a shooter. If I can't get my hands on a 29, I would most likely settle on a 629 (would have to be a steal) and even use it as a mountain gun.

12. Highpower

Highpower New Member

That looks somewhat familiar. :D

Bought this one new in '83..... The presentation case was an additional $46.00. It's currently wearing a set of S&W smooth fingergrip panels (Goncolo Alves) and the target grips are safely tucked away.

[​IMG] [​IMG]