Model 11 stock and forend

Discussion in 'Engraving & Refinishing' started by Duddn, Jan 27, 2010.

1. Duddn

Duddn New Member

I have drug out my old Model 11 and have been doing a little rabbit hunting and decided to "spruce up" this old auto loader. Now this was my grandfathers who passed it on to me when he died, he used it a good bit while it was his and it got a little beat up. Anyway I took off the barrel and recoil spring and other to clean and i noticed a crack on the top back of the forend where it meets the receiver between the mag tube and the barrel, and then this happened........

[​IMG]

I then realized that the little nubs that go into the receiver between the barrel and mag have broke off.

[​IMG]

Since I don't have the original nubs or whatever they are to glue back in could I simply drill out the hole and use a dowel rod or something as an alternative?

Also I would like to do something to the stock and forend itself. Both are pretty banged up.

[​IMG]

What is a good way to strip the old finish off without really hurting the wood?

Ive heard of using and iron and a damp cloth, should I do this before or after stripping the old finish?

Any hints, tricks, and tips will be greatly appreciated.

2. Txhillbilly

Txhillbilly Active Member

Numrich gun parts has replacement wood for your gun,or you can also put Ramline synthetic stocks on it and then not have to worry about splitting the forearm if you don't have the friction rings setup for the type of loads you are shooting.
    Here's a link-http://www.e-gunparts.com/products_new.asp?CatID=5642

This is what the synthetic stocks look like on one that has been parkerized-

Attached Files:

3. Duddn

Duddn New Member

I thought about a synthetic but I was hoping to keep the original wood.

4. CA357

CA357 New Member Supporter

It was your Grandfather's, if it holds sentimental value, it would be better to restore/repair it rather than replacing the wood.

5. Duddn

Duddn New Member

Thats what I would like to do, this is actually the first gun I ever shot (5 years old) and Ive had it all my life.

But there where it chipped off how could I repair that? A strong wood adhesive?

6. CA357

Do you have the chip? If you do, send me all the pieces, stock and forearm and I'll repair and refinish them for you. I'll use a TruOil finish on it.

No charge, I enjoy doing the work. You can pay for the shipping. PM me if you'd like.

7. CA357

8. Highpower

Highpower New Member

Careful there CA.....

I'm liable to send you a truck load of stocks and a couple cans of Tung oil. :p

9. Duddn

Duddn New Member

End Result

Well I got 'er finished up last night, was too tired to post pics after work. CA told me these were required so here you go.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

10. Duddn

Duddn New Member

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Not a wall hanger but still looks good to me :D

11. canebrake

canebrake New Member

Great Job!!

I have several hand-me-downs and I know the reason for wanting to 'keep the wood'!

12. Duddn

Duddn New Member

The way I see it, I am gonna keep this thing all my life regardless. I say it gives the gun some character, you can tell when an old gun has some stories to tell.

13. Txhillbilly

Txhillbilly Active Member

Glad to see you fixed it. I still have my original stocks,but since I still hunt with mine I decided to put on the synthetics. Mine was made in 1906,and the wood is the original,and in great shape.

Attached Files:

14. Duddn

Duddn New Member

Nice looking stock there Tx, mine was a little more beat up than that. I might add that in a couple of the pics looks like its dull but I buffed it out with a cotton T-shirt and it looks pretty rich now. I can thank CA for the tips, it looks great IMO.

15. CA357

Great job, it looks a whole lot better. It just needed to feel some love. :cool:

16. Cheapshot

Cheapshot New Member

I still have my Dad's Old Model 11 shot gun. I know what ya mean when it comes to keepers. Dad replace the four arm on the gun 40 years ago and now the stock is starting to crack on it. But i dont shoot it a lot anymore so it just hangs on the gun rack. The one i have has the US stamps on it with the bomb stamp. dad said the gun was a sec arms prison gun in WW2 It had a green coat on it but most of it has gone now. looks like it was blued under the old coating. gun still shoots great but kicks the heck out of ya. Thanks for showing the pic's of yours nice to see other ppl with old guns that was handed down to them.

17. 50of4064

50of4064 Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

thanks! it's refreshing to see you offer help this way. it gives hope!

18. cpttango30

cpttango30 New Member

Quicks and easy way (I take no responsibility for injury) toss that sucker in the dishwasher.

I used a nontoxic safe of kids stripper (Not that kind you dirty old bastards) Ready Strip Kit - The Official Site of AsSeenOnTV.com This is the one thing we got from the AS Seen On TV place that really did work and work good.