Model - 10 extractor issue

Discussion in 'Gunsmithing Forum' started by Gh0zt36, Sep 2, 2011.

1. Gh0zt36

Gh0zt36 Active Member

My extractor rod collar froze solid in the extractor and when i tried to unscrew it to lube it the threads broke off in the extractor so I was wondering if anyone knows how to remove the extractor rod so I can see if i can remove the threads that broke off in the extractor. otherwise im goingto have to buy a whole new extractor assembly . thanks

2. neilage66

neilage66 New Member

Remington and Smith & Wesson and I'm sure others made a *Model 10* ?

You're more likely to get help if you are more specific with details.

We can't see what you are talking about.

Last edited: Sep 2, 2011

3. Gh0zt36

Gh0zt36 Active Member

[​IMG]

Ok this is the extractor and pin. the extractor spring and sleeve go over the pin and screw into the extractor. it'd be too long i guess since i last lubed the threads on the extractor sleeve and it froze into the extractor and when I tried to unscrew the sleeve to lube the thread broke off in the extractor around the pin that goes into the extractor. now my question is it possible to remove the pin so I can possibly drill out the broken threads?

4. Gh0zt36

Gh0zt36 Active Member

crap sorry about the obnoxiously large picture . i didnt know my phone was set to take them that big lol

5. neilage66

neilage66 New Member

LOL...despite being quite large, we still can't see what you are talking about. :p;)

Did I miss it or have you still not mentioned the manufacturer of the piece.

6. Gh0zt36

Gh0zt36 Active Member

where the pin goes into the extractor there are broke off threads from the sleeve that goes over the pin you are seeing .. it is a Model 10-7 .38 special S&W

7. neilage66

neilage66 New Member

If you are not a machinist who's handy with metal working tools like drills, mills and EZ Outs, you might consider replacing the parts.
    However, there could be a creative way to solve the problem by using JB Weld, sealing wax, baling wire or duct tape.
    Numrich Arms (Gun Parts Corporation) may have what you need.
    Here is the page for the S&W model 10.
    Numrich Gun Parts Corp. - The World's Largest Supplier of Firearms Parts and Accessories

Last edited: Sep 2, 2011
  8. Gh0zt36

Gh0zt36 Active Member

thanks for the advice. :)

9. hiwall

hiwall Well-Known Member

If you get a new extractor they often have to be fitted to your particular gun. And keep in mind that the extractor contains the ratchet so it will effect the timing. You might be able to cut the pin off flush and then push it in far enough to use an EZ out. Or use a Dremel or a drill to get the broken piece out. Buying a new extractor should be your last resort. Good luck.

10. Gh0zt36

Gh0zt36 Active Member

fitted how like milled? i dunno man whatever you said sounds like it may be over my pay grade. might hafta goto a shop??? man if i had only lubed the extactor sleeve a little earlier

11. lief69

lief69 New Member

Smith &Wesson lifetime warrentee should fix your 10 for nil.

12. Gh0zt36

Gh0zt36 Active Member

got rid of it got a Daniel b. Wesson .357 [​IMG]