Mobil 1 for gun oil???

Discussion in 'General Handgun Discussion' started by NvRbanArms, Feb 1, 2012.

1. NvRbanArms

NvRbanArms New Member

What's your thoughts guys??? 5W30

2. MrWray

MrWray New Member

Damn good gun lube, one bottle will last you forever

3. Axxe55

Axxe55 The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

i think if you used it in one of the smaller squeeze bottles with the the applicator nozzle, it would last a long time. Mobile 1 oil being a synthetic, and used in many high revving performance engines by many factory car builders, then it should work fine in oiling a pistol is used like regular gun oil. of course this is just my opinion on the matter and i will have to try in out myself. Lucas Oil products and additives, makes a really good gun oil. several years ago the Lucas Rep, gave us some bottles to try out. i have since run out of it and am trying to find a new source for it.

4. robocop10mm

robocop10mm Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

I have about run out of my stock of Castrol Syntec. Mobil 1 will be the replacement.

5. Riverg420

Riverg420 New Member

That's not a bad idea come to think about it I may try that

6. danf_fl

danf_fl Retired Supporter

I purchased a couple of pump containers from Harbor Freight. I use one to lube the chains on the motorcycles, the other for Mobil 1.

7. BlueTurf

BlueTurf New Member

Everything I have read and heard about Mobile 1 tells me it is a great lubricant for firearms and very cost effective. You can use things like Q tips and small squeeze tubes to control the application of it. I think it would be a great choice.

8. Drriley

Drriley New Member

Axxe55 - fyi
    I was in my local O'Reilly Auto parts a couple of days ago and they are carring Lucas Gun Oil at the front counter. Haven't tried it

9. JonM

JonM Moderator

Motor oil is great for lubing guns. Used to use 5w30 on my issue m60 machine gun. I use it to lube pistol rails if its a long range session. I use a light gun grease for my carry guns as motor has a tendency to leak into my clothes.

10. Paladin201

Paladin201 New Member

I switched to Mobil 1 after seeing a discussion about it here. Cleaned and oiled my AR with it. After a range trip where I fired 100 rounds, I stripped it. Every part that wasn't directly attacked by hot gas was still visibly oily. Most gun oils I've tried, the gun would be completely dry afterward.

11. purehavoc

purehavoc New Member

I have used Mobil 1 in both of my ARs from day one and its great , I have a couple of contact eye wetting drop bottles I refill , They have a small tip and I can get it into small places pretty well , I had been using something else on my Smith and switched over to this , night and day difference in the smoothness of the slide

12. Reaper61

Reaper61 New Member

I must admit I never would have thought of this...wonder how it would do in arctic conditions of a Fairbanks winter...

13. Paladin201

Paladin201 New Member

If you use a light weight, I couldn't see it having any cold weather issues. Especially since it's synthetic. Synthetic oils have a lower increase in viscosity in cold temps.

14. Josh1158

Josh1158 New Member

Is this stuff better then hoppe's ?

15. colmustard

colmustard New Member

When I first came to this site, some one suggested this. I tryed it and now thats all I use for lube. My guns run much smotther than before, also I have had one quart since then. ANd still have plenty of oil left.

In my humble opinion, it works better than gun lub and is more cost effective.

I use hopps number 9 and mobile 1

16. Reaper61

Reaper61 New Member

Thats what Im thinking. Cause I use full synthetic oil in my truck and have had no engine problems in almost 3 winters up there.

17. Overkill0084

Overkill0084 Active Member

All the cool kids are doing it.

I have to be different though, I use Rotella Synthetic.

Unless one had to worry about extremes, I suspect that non-synthetic would work fine too.

Last edited: Feb 1, 2012
  18. wjnfirearms

wjnfirearms New Member

Hmmmm....I'm glad I checked out this thread. Real interesting. I'm going to have to give this a try. I've always used Break Free and now, Weapon Shield. If the synthetic motor oils are a better alternative, I'm game to give it a shot (no pun intended).

19. NvRbanArms

NvRbanArms New Member

I used it last night. Awesome stuff. Just don't know how good it is for your hands. Lol.

20. NvRbanArms

NvRbanArms New Member

And considering how much I used to oil up four guns. This quart will last lifetime. I used a Qtip and just dabbed it where I needed it.