MKIII Magazine life

Discussion in 'Ruger Handgun Forum' started by kjdeut, Aug 9, 2013.

1. kjdeut

kjdeut New Member

For those that have been shooting a MKIII for a while how long have your magazines lasted? My MKIII started to load incorrectly both with the first round and also at times with later rounds in the same magazine.

What is happening is the round is catching on the bottom of the ramp so it doesnt load. I have to take the magazine out and point the nose of the top round in more of an upward angle, replace the magazine and begin shooting.

I first thought that the gun needed cleaning but that didnt help. Also cleaned and lubed the magazine, with no luck. I next tried a new spare magazine I had and everything worked smoothly.

Best guess is around 3000+ rounds using the old magazine. Is this a lot of rounds for a magazine? Just wondering what others experience has been.

Ken

2. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

Usually when there is a mag problem, it lies in the feed lips. Sometimes from dropping a mag (those things are heavy when loaded) or the bend of a lip having been bent out too much. Compare angles and curves between a new mag and the suspect mag.

I have a Ruger Standard in bought in 1971. Still shooting w/ original mag.

3. kjdeut

kjdeut New Member

Thanks, I will take a look and see if any difference is visible. I had strong feeling they should last longer but wanted to double check.

Thanks
    ken

4. DrumJunkie

DrumJunkie New Member

Well..I know at least four years...Because my mags are still fine. I'll get back to y'all when I get a failure ;)

5. therewolf

therewolf New Member

Yeah going on four years with no mag failures.

My MKII is my favorite range gun. So it doesn't

get abused, and the mags don't get dropped.

But I've been using it a lot, no mag issues.

I clean the mags about every 5th time I clean the gun.