MkI Martini-Enfield .450-577cal this morning.....

Discussion in 'Curio & Relic Discussion' started by tac foley, May 6, 2018.

1. tac foley

tac foley Member

You might just see more of this kind of older stuff shooting on my Youtube channel, tac's guns.

tac

303tom likes this.
  2. Daoust_Nat

Daoust_Nat Well-Known Member Supporter

3. 303tom

303tom Well-Known Member

I need one of those to go along with my other Enfield's !..............

4. tac foley

tac foley Member

Try and find a real Enfield-made rifle, rather than any of the Nepali-made models that seem to clog the internet these days. John and I were saying, that with over a hundred years experience of shooting between us, we have never seen an Enfield-made rifle with a poor bore.

tac

5. sheriffjohn

sheriffjohn Well-Known Member Supporter

What's the cartridge equivalent to ? Black powder only or is there a smokeless load ?

6. tac foley

tac foley Member

It's about the same as VERY stiff .45-70 Govt load, but with the extra ooomph of a 545gr bullet. The original load was 85g of Fine Rifle Powder - about the same as 3Fg, poured into the cylindrical case which was then necked down to .450 and compressed by the insertion of the bullet. At Rorkes Drift that bullet was clearing though three Zulu warriors in a line, front to rear.

There never was any kind of smokeless load, but you can replicate it somewhat with with ~32gr of H4198. It's 'unkind' to shoot, to say the least. I've never managed more than twenty before calling 'uncle'.

tac

7. Rex in OTZ

Rex in OTZ Well-Known Member

Would one of those lace on recoil boots help?

8. tac foley

tac foley Member

Why would I want one of those? The biggest, ie, pushiest, thing I usually shoot is only the .450BPE, and that's only once or twice a year.

You can see that on my channel, too, just look for tac's guns .450BPE - there are a couple of little movies there.

I guess that wearing a recoil shield of some kind would reduce the perceived recoil some, but I wasn't complaining about the recoil. It's what big old BP rifles do. My High Wall, shooting .45-70 Govt reloads, is quite gentle with the 405gr bullet over 33gr of H4198, and not too bad with 55gr of Triple 7, and I'm not shy.

tac

9. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

Flashback memories of Zulu there......

tac foley likes this.
  10. tac foley

tac foley Member

Seeing as this rifle is a MkI, and has a good deal of 'sunburnt' blueing on the Nocks Form, it may well have seen service in Africa. Of course, we'll never know that for sure.

OT, I have two other older rifles, Mausers, with genuine African history behind them. I might post details some time if anybody is interested in that kind of thing. I really don't want to seem too eager and wear out my welcome.

tac

303tom likes this.
  11. 303tom

303tom Well-Known Member

Please Do, we would love to see & hear about it !..........

12. tac foley

tac foley Member

Here is the first of my African stories. The rifle is a Mauser Model B Sporting rifle, the base model of the range. This one was bought in 1913 to accompany a family going out to Rhodesia to grow tobacco. In the late 80's, Mr Mugabe decided to give all the white settlers' farms to his brother freedom fighters, and half the family came back to UK and the rest moved to Tanzania. I bought the rifle in an auction, unseen, in 1992, for £120. It was filthy, having been in store for a couple of years.

Here it is now, well, a few weeks back.

[​IMG]

upload_2018-5-8_13-24-18.png

upload_2018-5-8_13-22-53.png

upload_2018-5-8_13-23-17.png

Fast forward to a few years back, when a fellow shooter from Tanzania - seen in this little movie -

asked me about it. He took some pics of his own, and sent them to a former school pal in TZ. It transpires that the rifle belonged to his great-grandfather, and he, himself, had learnt to shoot with it as young man.

tac

13. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

Tac, that is a marvelous specimen of Mauser. Re: Martini- I have a few oddball rounds of ammo in my collection- including a coiled brass cartridge for a Martini, and a couple of the subcaliber rounds- think they are 297/230 Morris CF.

tac foley likes this.
  14. tac foley

tac foley Member

Yes, indeedy. Designed for the job, using the Morris tube sub-caliber device, as found in use by recruits doing basic training on the later Lee-Enfield .303 rifles, albeit in .22cal.

tac