Mixed reviews

Discussion in '1911 Forum' started by 97cobra, Sep 25, 2011.

1. 97cobra

97cobra New Member

I've been thinking of a 1911 for CC and I was looking at colts and Dan wessons but I keep getting mixed reviews for both. As far as colts people are saying they aren't the same as they used to be and they live off there name whereas Dan Wesson's reviews are saying get before cz because cz is no good. What do y'all think about this? It's a CC and range gun obviously for practice.

2. eborden1122

eborden1122 Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

I asked the almost exact same question a while back. Majority of all of the responders were positive with the Colt brand and a few others such as Kimber. Cane convinced me into trusting in a Colt. He was dead on, the Colt is not living off their name and produce a great pistol. You will not go wrong with a Colt. It is now my main carry pistol and I trust my life and the life of my family with it.

3. danf_fl

danf_fl Retired Supporter

If you compare either of you choices to a third brand (let's say RIA), then either would be a good choice. I've had DW's (both pre- and post- CZ) and regret the days I had to get rid of any.

(As a side note, I still will take a CZ-DW over any Kimber. But that is my opinion only.)

4. MrWray

MrWray New Member

I would pick a colt over a dan wesson any day of the week, thats just me

5. IGETEVEN

IGETEVEN New Member

Indeed. My choice as well.

6. g17frantz

g17frantz New Member

Government, commander or operator size for your cc? If you were going for government either would be a great choice. If you were gonna go with commander or operator Colt would be what I would go with. I only own a Sig 1911 but my next purchase will be a Colt commander.

7. Olympus

Olympus New Member

Nobody that owns a Dan Wesson will tell that they are not good now that they're owned by CZ. I have a Dan Wesson CBOB and also a stainless Series 80 Colt Gold Cup. Quality, fit, and attention to detail easily go to the Dan Wesson. Accuracy is an apples/oranges comparison with the Colt being a .45 caliber 5" with target sights and the DW being a 10mm caliber 4.25" with combat sights.

If I were buying a new production gun today, it would be another Dan Wesson. You'll find mixed reviews on every gun ever made. The fact that most DW owners will never sell their guns speaks volumes to me. I promise I will never well the DW that I own.

8. 97cobra

97cobra New Member

I was looking to see if anyone covered this but it's a lot of threads to go through. But I've been leaning more towards a colt myself.

So even after cz is still a good firearm?

That seems to be the common response with no disrespect to Dan wesson.

I've been leaning towards commander or operator.

9. 97cobra

97cobra New Member

I was looking at that CCO bobtail. It seems to be a sweet little gun. Any opinion on that?

10. HOSSFLY

HOSSFLY New Member

Colts been doing it right for over 100 yrs-
    Nuff said ;)

Now on a side note i'm a die hard 70 series guy but thats just personal taste :rolleyes:

11. MrWray

MrWray New Member

Im with you on the 70 series

12. danf_fl

danf_fl Retired Supporter

I have a CZ-DW CBOB, in 10mm. I have a Ed Brown Kobra carry in .45. They look like they came from the same mother (twins), but if you rack slides, pull triggers, work safeties, you could tell the difference in quality.

Most higher costing 1911's are worth it. To say which is the best is left to one's interpretation of "best".

There has to be something good said about Colt series 70 if Colt has added that back into their lineup with some of their models.

And if you only go on one person's opinion, well here it is:

Hurricanes, tornadoes, and typhoons suck. :)

13. Olympus

Olympus New Member

I don't have any experience with the CCO. Go over to the 1911 Forum (not the M1911 forum) and read through the DW sub-section. Lots of people happy with their CCOs.

14. canebrake

canebrake New Member

See post # 2.

If your hands are like mine (large but not XL) the CCO does not provide enough grip. The Commander is full size frame with the 4 1/4" barrel. The rounded MSH would be nice but I think the concealment benefits are over rated. :eek:

A good pancake or IWB holster does a great job.

If you want a Commander look at this:

[​IMG]

If you want an operator:

[​IMG]

15. 97cobra

97cobra New Member

I really like the look of that commander. Is that yours? That is a beautiful gun. I have a question for you though. I want to know how well the gun performs out of the box.

16. canebrake

canebrake New Member

No, not mine, but IMHO "the" best non-custom, production carry 1911 out there. It's on my bucket list!

I'll go out on a limb here, you will find it the best bang for your buck .45 ACP on the market! And should there be any issues, it's a Colt.

Attached Files:

17. canebrake

canebrake New Member

[​IMG]

That's the first 7 rounds @ 7 meters with my XSE Government.

I'm happy with this production gun! Well almost. I did customize it a tad.

[​IMG]

18. Olympus

Olympus New Member

I can't let Cane get away with calling that Colt Commander "the" best non-custom production carry 1911. For defensive carry, the 10mm is king in my book. This DW will also have fewer MIM parts than the Colt.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I own several Colts as well and none of mine come close to a fit as tight and smooth as the DW.

[​IMG]

And it will match, probably even outshoot, the Colt Commander in the accuracy department. This is 10 rounds of 180gr FMJ slow-fired offhand from 25 yards with the DW. That's a 2 inch target for reference.

[​IMG]

I'll give Colt the nod in the "best bang for the buck" category. They're definitely solid guns with a great reputation. But the 10mm CBOB blows the doors off the Colt Commander in the running for the best non-custom production carry 1911. Sorry Cane...

Last edited: Sep 26, 2011
  19. 97cobra

97cobra New Member

Well I currently have the funds to go with either of the two. I have always wanted a colt 1911 because well who doesn't want atleast one colt 1911. The best bang for your buck is definitely appealing.

Man and when I thought my mind was made up you bring in a 10mm. I have always wanted a 10mm because of the unbelievable things I've heard about it's ballistics. This makes my decision harder. I guess the next thing the two of you will tell me to do is to get to a range or dealer and shoot them and see what I'm comfortable with.

20. Olympus

Olympus New Member

That's probably a good idea, but I can guarantee you won't find a 10mm Dan Wesson to try unless you have a good friend with one. They only made the 10mm for a few years and now there is kind of 10mm cult following and people grab them up as soon as they come available. In my area, there is an 8 month waiting list to have a 10mm Kimber ordered even.

And front cocking serrations? C'mon Colt...what would J.M. Browning have to say about that?:eek:

Attached Files:

Last edited: Sep 26, 2011