Mixed feelings about my new sig mosquito

Discussion in 'Semi-Auto Handguns' started by dirty393, Dec 30, 2011.

1. dirty393

dirty393 New Member

I had recently purchase a sig mosquito on an impulse which is something iv never do. But something about it just called out to me. I liked the feel of it and the low cost of shooting 22 ammo. When I took it out the range I quickly decided that I did not like the single action trigger it was too long and felt kind of mushy.. But I continued to shoot it, after about the first 150 the feeding issues came into play. I only had three FTF and I was using the cci mini mag the guy at the gun store recommended. So I shot the other 50 and left the range disappointed....when I got home I read the manual I was told to strip the factory grease off and re lube it ( I know I should of done this first but I didn't think I would be coming home with a gun that day and went straight to the range) so I think this had alot to do with it. Also had read some reviews and how it likes a hotter ammo.. I haven't taken it out again but something inside of me wants to trade it in for something else like a bersa 9 which I have had my eye on for a while....so should I continue to break in my sig or take the loss and trade it in? I'm sure I'll make own decision but I wanted some opinions.

2. JTJ

JTJ Well-Known Member Supporter

Sig makes some very nice guns but I dont think the Mosquito is one of them. If you like the feel, give it another chance.

3. dirty393

dirty393 New Member

Yeah that's what all my buddies say...it came with a lighter recoil spring as well as the stock one so I think I might buy different types of ammo and try different spring- ammo combos.

4. JonM

JonM Moderator

I feel the same about mine. I love the looks and feel but hate the trigger and its finicky ammo preference. I could live with the picky nature if the trigger was better. I would probably shoot it more.

5. dirty393

dirty393 New Member

I do like DA pull, a little heavy but smooth and steady.

6. Hollander

Hollander New Member

One thing that helped mine was to polish the feed ramp. I used a dremel tool and found a brush or tool that just fit into the ramp. That helped its performance. I still get some misfires and once in a while a misfeed but it is just a fun gun to target shoot with so I do not let it bother me. I still have fun with it. Federal bulk pack works better than Remington. CCI minimags work very well but since I am cheap I just use the Federal for the most part. Also I run it wet or well oiled. I would not trust any self defense situation with it but it is fun to shoot and just relax and take some of the misfires with a grain of salt. Good Luck.

7. dirty393

dirty393 New Member

Yeah I had seen a YouTube video about polishing the feed ramp so I might just have to invest in a dremel. But a guy I work with has a friend who has a mosquito says he uses the bulk Remington golden bullets and they work great.

8. dirty393

dirty393 New Member

And as for SD I have my 870 in my closet, although I would like to get my cwp but the sig is my only handgun I call my own.

9. firedawg60

firedawg60 New Member

I feel fortunate. I've had mine for a year now and just love it. I feed it nothing but CCI mini mags. But they do like to run wet. I've got better than 1-1500 rounds though it and it's still running great. I know a lot of folks have had a lot of issues with them. It's too bad, like others have said, it looks and feels great. I'd give it a good cleaning and lubing and give it another chance. Good luck and happy shooting.

10. dirty393

dirty393 New Member

Well after hearing all of this info I lubed it up nicely and I think my buddy and I are going to run some tests on different ammo, it turns out I'm the one who is being picky haha.