Mitigating Rifle Recoil

Discussion in 'General Rifle Discussion' started by Beezer, Jan 21, 2014.

1. Beezer

Beezer Member

I have a Remington 700 in 30-06 that was passed down to me. I was finally able to shoot it over the weekend and man does it kick.

For comparison, I shot a Savage 30-06, a .308 and a 22-250 as well. While those packed a punch, none seemed to pack the same wallop as the Remington.

I know that there are various pads that you can purchase that will reduce recoil, but I'm wondering if there are other methods for reducing recoil (like stance, technique, adding weight to the rifle, etc).

I feel like I'm holding the rifle securely in my shoulder, but I have a nice bruise. I'd really like to have this as a functional rifle, but its difficult for me to stay on target (now I involuntarily flinch prior to the shot) and its difficult to relocate my target quickly after the kick.

Any tips are appreciated.

2. John_Deer

John_Deer New Member

We all need some 22 therapy after shooting a 30/06 more than a couple times. Since you just got the rifle you are probably shooting it off a table or bench, leaning right into the rifle. Standing the rifle won't have the same recoil. I am a hunter. When I take target practice I try to emulate hunting conditions. I work on different improvised rests. Anything but leaning right into the rifle.

All 30/06 rifles have about the same amount of recoil. The Remington likely doesn't fit you as well as the savage. I don't have a clue as to why the Remington doesn't fit you. My crystal ball is broken. A recoil pad might make things worse if the gun is already to long for you.

3. Beezer

Beezer Member

The first few shots came off a table with the rifle resting on a stand and shooting bags to steady it. I did fire it the next day from a standing position with the rifle steadied and it did seem to kick less, though I think my shoulder was already bruised at that point, so it was still uncomfortable.

How would I be able to tell if the gun is too long or too short for me?

4. Mercator

Mercator Active Member

I don't know your biometrics or habits or whether you're a natural bruiser. If anything below sounds trivial please ignore.

1.Plant the buttpad firmly into your shoulder. Don't give it extra room to gain momentum and hit you on recoil.
    2.Consider "chesting" the rifle rather than shouldering it. Move the point of contact away from the joint toward the rib cage.
    3.Gel pad. The name escapes me, but you can find it. A black silicone shoe with layers of silicone inside (adjustable)
    4.There are formulas for LOP, but those are only rough estimates. Every rifle needs to be shouldered and dry fired at least, to get the feel of it.
    Also what seems right in bench resting may be a little long for off hand.

5. seancslaughter

seancslaughter New Member

6. therewolf

therewolf New Member

1.-Check the Remington's LOP. Even half an inch "short" can create a

rifle which is painfully "slappy", and inaccurate. It's great to

tuck it in tight to the shoulder, but with short LOP, the rest of

your arm is also pulling back with it. Fortunately, as others have stated,

the addition of a recoil pad not only absorbs kick, but helps the LOP issue.

2.-The "passed-down" Rem 700- a wood stock, I presume?

Synthetic stocks, IME, soak up recoil better.

So if that Savage was a syn stock with longer LOP,

we might have solved a mystery here.

Last edited: Jan 21, 2014
  7. Beezer

Beezer Member

My 700 is a wood stock (gorgeous looking). Savage was a synthetic stock. I'll check my LOP to see if I am running long or short.

8. therewolf

therewolf New Member

I love nice wood stocks, too. But I'm limiting the loving to what

I currently have, because I dread scratches, dings, and dents,

which are normal wear and tear, on wood furniture. Babying a rifle

stock, then getting it damaged anyway, takes a lot of fun out of

shooting. So I guess for me syn stocks are better.

The point being, if you can find a syn stock with a longer LOP,

sometimes they are cheaper than the cost of a gunsmith extending

your LOP on a wooden stock.

9. MOshooter

MOshooter New Member

10. wechols

wechols Member Lifetime Supporter

If you increase the weight you will decrease the recoil. If you slow the rearward acceleration of the rifle with a muzzle brake or a pad ( which stretches the time for the acceleration to hit you) You decrease the recoil
    F=MxA. Or shoot lighter loads since recoil is the equal and opposite of the bullet force.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Firearms Talk mobile app

11. dteed4094

dteed4094 New Member

How heavy was the projectile? IF the 22/250 packed a punch, range time may eliminate the problem.

12. John_Deer

John_Deer New Member

My neighbors wife has a 25/06 that is cut very short to fit a small woman. Her husband hates to shoot the 25/06 because his thumb is right under his nose. I have had to deal with short rifles all my life due to my size. I end up shooting the 25/06 to make sure it is shooting right. Even with the super short stock I feel very little recoil.

If the 22/250 has to much recoil you need to get some professional help from a gunsmith or shooting instructor. You are placing the gun right on the pressure point in your shoulder and it has to stop.

13. jpattersonnh

jpattersonnh Active Member

The LOP being to short is an easy fix. I Have ape arms, I'm not a small person. My savage 110 in 7mm Rem mag was never bad as far as recoil, but I always had an issue when I shouldered the rifle if I was not wearing winter clothing. I put a Limbsaver recoil pad on it after neck surgery and now it is as timid as my 6.5x55 rifles. The extra 1/2" LOP makes it just shoulder perfectly w/ perfect scope alignment every time. Another factor is if the .30-06 ammo was something like cor-lokt that uses a fast powder and has quite a bite. When I bought my 7mm, my buddy bought the same exact model in .270. His rifle using Cor-lokt ammo had more felt recoil, alot more. When I use handloads in mine is is very light recoiling using IMR4831

14. Beezer

Beezer Member

Projectile was 160 grains. Range time will help for sure.

The 22/250 didn't kick near as much as the 30-06. Part of that is due to the 22/250 rifle weighed a ton.

I'm beginning to think that once I figure out my LOP, a good recoil pad and range time may solve my problem.

15. Hookeye

Hookeye Active Member

Yup the old Remington wood can be pretty, but on the old BDL's they came with butt plates.

The magnums had recoil pads (so did 1100 magnum shotguns).

Even the old style rubber pads helped quite a bit, but the latest stuff is even softer.

But for cost savings I'd just get a used factory cheap Remington synthethic stock with old style pad. By the time you get a decent recoil pad and cut the wood stock.........it's more time and or $ (if you have a good stock guy do it).

I've done several, takes me a while as I don't have the jig. Results are fine..............but not everybody does a good job.

Old and cranky, less hassle in my opinion, to just swap the whole stock. And if you do that, you have the original for any sentimental value.

After that, shoot 180's and lighter and it should be pleasant. The more you shoot the less it will seem to kick too. My buddy had a .300 winmag, previously just a varmint rifle guy.

After a summer of load development and practice he thinks it a p*ssycat.

While barrel porting methods work, I'd steer clear of that. Stuff is loud enough already. Do everything you can to preserve your hearing. Even when hunting.

Tinnitus sucks, really bad too.

Last edited: Feb 2, 2014
  16. gunnut07

gunnut07 New Member

Sounds like the stock doesn't fit you properly.

17. Hookeye

Hookeye Active Member

I was just at a local shop and saw an old BDL stock with recoil pad (old stamped checkering, narrow forend tip). It was in suprisingly decent shape...........a magnum stock from way back (long action)..............for $35.

Might buy it next go around............but I let an old ADL 7mm mag slip by last month :(