Missouri takes another step...

Discussion in 'Legal and Activism' started by Highpower, Aug 6, 2014.

1. Highpower

Highpower New Member

... in the right direction. :)

Last edited: Aug 6, 2014
  2. CzarChasm

CzarChasm New Member

Having not delved into any of the details yet, going just off the synopsis in the quote-box, this seems like a huge victory for MO gun owners. Strict scrutiny is the only intended inference that can be taken from the words, "...the right of the people to keep and bear arms, shall not be infringed. SCOTUS should've established that level of scrutiny in Miller, Heller and McDonald, but they didn't.

Interestingly, I just got done making a post referencing a 1982 gun control ballot measure known as "Prop 15" out of CA that we defeated with the identical whole-number percentages reflected in MO's measure last night. The decimals varied, but it was basically 62% to 37%.

Anyway, congrats to MO gun owners. Maybe you can start a trend here. That's awesome! (remaining cautiously optimistic that there are no "Devils in the details" though.)

CzarChasm

3. Triumphman

Triumphman Active Member

It was good to see this pass with voter approval. Let's hope other States see this and enact amendments to their State Constitution.

4. JWagner

JWagner New Member

Last edited: Aug 6, 2014
  5. artbrownsr

artbrownsr Forum Chaplain Lifetime Supporter

6. Highpower

Highpower New Member

Not true about the veto.... but that was MY fault. I got it mixed up with another pro-gun bill that governor Nixon vetoed that day.
    However that one will very likely be taken up again in the next session in September. It's extremely close to the votes needed to override the veto.

7. Highpower

Highpower New Member

Governor Nixon chose to put amendment 5 on the August primary ballot instead of the general election in November. I think his plan backfired on him. I'm sure he was hoping for a low turn out at the polls (which he got) and getting his usual base to provide him numbers.

Fortunately gun owners in the state have finally woken up (for once) to the fact that if they stay home - they LOSE!