1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
429 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Premium Member
906 Posts
As long as the fat guy and the guy with the home made wrist ties cant do it! Lol!
Interesting concept... kinda scary... volunteers, i wonder if there are any requirements or background checks? IDK, seems like a good way to get your door kicked in. Will be interesting to see if it goes anywhere.

·
Registered
Shield 9mm, AR15
10 Posts
“Civilization Threatening Event”

I don’t think they need any laws for this type of event. All gun owners will happily defend our Civilization. We would even share with our non-gun owning friends, to kick some civilization threatening ***.

·
Premium Member
3,813 Posts
Hm.

So, in the case of the state of Missouri do they not already have "militia" laws on the books? (It's the rare state that didn't create them, back in the day.)

A few years back, I seem to recall coming across a few states that had specific anti-militia and anti-gathering "defense" laws to where it'd be a very risky endeavor (bordering on a "lynch mob" type action) if a person was found to be engaging with others in this sort of thing. The assumption would be it was criminal and because of the group/gathering/affiliation it couldn't possibly be legal. (Sadly, I can't recall the couple of states' laws I remember seeing. Perhaps those have all been ditched, by now, though I doubt it.)

IMO, I'd much prefer a state to engage in specific equipment, communication and action/coordination training with its own in-state citizenry instead of strictly relying upon the largely federally-controlled National Guard when the policing agencies are overburdened and community "defense" is necessary. At least, with lower-grade, lower-intensity stuff. Unless serious training exists.

·
Registered
429 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The part that gives me pause is:

"Additionally, volunteers’ firearms, accessories, ammunition, uniforms, equipment and supplies would be considered state property “for purposes of sovereignty and jurisdiction in matters of judicial, taxation, and police powers exercised by the state when a member is called into service,” protecting them from attempted federal seizures. "

Soooo, although it says "The bill states that firearms and equipment will also not be subjected to taxes or registration requirements. ", what happens if the state government later changes things and decides it wants "its" property "turned in", seized, or somehow taxed? It also says "no registration", but anyone who joins this, you know their particular firearms (at least those used for this purpose) will become known. You can't have organization without some sort of list or database of who has what.

As for training, it does say the governor would be required to set standards for that.

At this point, I'm not sure if this is a good thing or not.

·
Premium Member
868 Posts
The part that gives me pause is:

"Additionally, volunteers’ firearms, accessories, ammunition, uniforms, equipment and supplies would be considered state property “for purposes of sovereignty and jurisdiction in matters of judicial, taxation, and police powers exercised by the state when a member is called into service,” protecting them from attempted federal seizures. "

Soooo, although it says "The bill states that firearms and equipment will also not be subjected to taxes or registration requirements. ", what happens if the state government later changes things and decides it wants "its" property "turned in", seized, or somehow taxed? It also says "no registration", but anyone who joins this, you know their particular firearms (at least those used for this purpose) will become known. You can't have organization without some sort of list or database of who has what.

As for training, it does say the governor would be required to set standards for that.

At this point, I'm not sure if this is a good thing or not.
Yep. Reading it I am left with some questions and doubts. Too much ambiguity...

·
Registered
6,730 Posts
Looks like some lawmakers have to much time on their hands, maybe they should concentrate on doing something useful and relevant.
Like creating more incentive for illegal entry into the USA?

·
Premium Member
2,603 Posts
Headed to Missouri Legislature next week to meet with legislators for electric cooperatives, possibly Governor Parsons as well. Missouri is a pro-2nd Amendment state overall.

·
Registered
560 Posts
I dont like the idea of gov controlled militia.
Militia by its definitionn is a hedge against outside invasion, civil unrest yes.
But it is also a guard against government itself should it jump its bounds to extensively.

Ky has several, well organized, well equipped militia. None care if the state likes it or not or depend on the state for anything.

I think there is even a state law barring private militia but its not enforced .
One LE at times depend on militia and two its impossible to enforce here.

·
Premium Member
7,540 Posts
Not enough state ummph to do it.

I think im going to stop posting for a few days. Bad time of year and ive no patience for trolls right now. Probably better i do that thsn read a couple of people their actual status and get banned.
Its a question, not trolling. After the capitol riots we have seen what these type of winnable hero's do when caught, cry for momma to get them out of jail.

·
Registered
2,184 Posts
The left has a way of creating names for events to suit their agenda.
While thugs burned and looted all summer long resulting in 25 deaths and causing the lose of 10's of billions to properly owners and taxpayer due to vandalism, they called it "peaceful protesting"
Some of the reporters actually said this on air while a police car burned in the background.
But one day when things got out of hand in the Capitol is called an insurgance, a riot and a planned attack and an attempt to overthrow the government by Donald Trump.
Both descriptions have the same thing in common.....nothing but bullish*t.

·
Registered
429 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Not just for events, but they also like to create names and nomenclature for all sorts of new "conditions" or create "job" positions around all their psychobabble. I heard one a while back I'd never heard of: "Diversity Consusltant." Apparently there are now companies out there who specialized in selling consultation services to other companies to help them "fight systemic racism" and to help them get their "diversity, equity, and inclusiveness" just right....oy ve...

·
Registered
1,270 Posts
My biggest concern with this is the idea that my weapons belong to The State. Because sooner or later Missouri is going to be blue and the day that happens are going to want "their" weapons back.

·
Premium Member
12,636 Posts
The lawmakers are just pandering to their voters. I would have thought that they already had a National Guard.
There has been a law on the books in my state, (Florida) for a very long time. Most people go their whole lives without realizing that they were part of the state militia. That is how meaningless it really is.

2011 Florida Statutes
Title XVIIMILITARY AFFAIRS AND RELATED MATTERS
Chapter 250MILITARY AFFAIRSEntire Chapter
SECTION 02
Militia.
250.02 Militia.—
(1) The militia consists of all able-bodied citizens of this state and all other able-bodied persons who have declared their intention to become citizens.
(2) The organized militia is composed of the National Guard and any other organized military forces that are authorized by law.
(3) The unorganized militia is composed of all persons who are subject to military duty but who are not members of units of the organized militia.
(4) Only persons exempt from military duty by the terms of federal law are exempt from military duty in this state.
History.—s. 4, ch. 8502, 1921; CGL 2015; s. 1, ch. 25112, 1949; s. 1, ch. 73-93; s. 2, ch. 2003-68.
Note.—Former ss. 250.04, 250.05.

Reactions: kfox75

·
Premium Member
3,813 Posts
The lawmakers are just pandering to their voters. I would have thought that they already had a National Guard.
Though, the distinction should be: National policing/military forces acting in the State's interests, versus community protection forces (the People, in their communities' interests).

Agreed, there's far too much "pandering" going on.

And there is the risk of the "wannabe" types coming out to "play" once such stuff is no longer criminalized in a given state.

But the majority will likely be simple, hard-working people who want to lend a hand, who have something to offer, who believe they can help within a community. As with many of the smaller towns and cities across the country that saw "militia" coming out to aid in monitoring and guarding against the violent rioting this past year. As with many communities that had their quite-small police (or sheriff) agencies calling on local militia to assist when stretched.

Always was: the "army" was the state organized forces to defend the nation as a whole, and the "militia" were the rest of the people acting in their communities best interests to protect their own communities and selves against local/regional threats that "national" forces wouldn't be around to deal with. Should still be that. Good reason to keep them separate. And for the primary reason of tyrannical threats and meddling, it really should be something where the State doesn't create, control and dictate terms to it.

1 - 20 of 51 Posts