Missing one thing

Discussion in 'Survival & Sustenance Living Forum' started by capto56, Dec 20, 2012.

1. capto56

capto56 New Member

I've been getting my b.o.b. / hiking backpack together for the past 6 months. I've compiled all of the essentials except for one thing. I don't have any food.

What kind of lightweight, high calorie, not terribly expensive, easy to acquire food would you suggest?

2. vincent

vincent New Member

Jerky, granola, nuts, even hard candy for a quick fix. Be aware of expiration dates...

Get a few individual MRE's to put in there too...

3. hiwall

hiwall Well-Known Member

Most walmart's have freeze dried stuff in the camping section. Power bars and millennium bars granola bars are a fair choice.

4. bonney

bonney New Member

I mix instant oatmeal with peanut butter and Tang. no freeze, no spoil, no cook. good nutrition, enough bulk to keep you regular, easy to find, cheap. just mix and eat with a spoon, like cookie dough. also, mix tang and a BIT of powdered gatorade in drinking water, and take a good multivitamin/mineral tablet daily.

5. rainmakerat92

rainmakerat92 New Member

For high calorie and cheap, peanut butter is hard to beat. Also, get a bag of corn chips, slice a small hole in the bag and then step on the bag gently a few times. When you are done, you can probably get the whole bag of chips into a quart-size zip-loc and then eat them with a spoon. Instant stove top dressing is good and so are large bags of knock-off M&Ms. The cheese and peanut butter filled packs of square crackers are good and fairly inexpensive. A few of the crackers crumpled into some hot, instant Cup-O-Soup at the end of the day make a great snack before supper. Also, anything that has the Little Debby label. Ah, the memories.........

6. Jpyle

Jpyle New Member

+1 oats, citrus, vitamins and proteins...all a growing body needs.

7. bonney

bonney New Member

lots of fat in PB, and fats have 2x the calories per oz of protein or carbs.

8. capto56

capto56 New Member

All good suggestions. I'll have to start mixing up some concoctions and maybe create my own recipe. Thanks guys

9. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

GORP. No cooking, no utensils, and if the world does not end, a pretty good day to day snack.

10. sdiver35

sdiver35 New Member

^^^^^Agree^^^^^^

11. lbwar15

lbwar15 New Member

+2 on that lol.

12. HockaLouis

HockaLouis New Member

Met-RX

Met-RX Meal Replacement Bars, the Big 100 ones (100 grams of food/400 calories). Buy the ones that are closest to 30%-30-40% of their calories from protein, fats, and carbs, respectively.
    They are not hot-weather friendly but are cheap and plentiful and will stay in the pouch even if any chocolate coating melts a bit...

I have more ships' emergency rations bricks (with packets of salt duct-taped to them) in my GHB too actually which are indestructible, but, I'm the exception and after shipping they ain't so cheap as they initially appear to be!

Attached Files:

Last edited: Dec 21, 2012
  13. bonney

bonney New Member

any sort of already prepped stuff is MANY times more expensive than my mix's basic ingredients.

14. HockaLouis

HockaLouis New Member

Is that the case? Whew, lucky for us you're here then. Please show us a comparative price review of all mentioned.

Oh, and make sure you contrast nutritional requirements and delivered values as well as features and benefits of each type of food when you do so people can make decisions based on comprehensive facts...

Attached Files:

Last edited: Dec 21, 2012