Mishap at range

Discussion in 'Range Report' started by Kelly J, May 30, 2010.

1. Kelly J

Kelly J New Member

A guy came into the PD the other day to ask a favor.

He had a S&W 629 (44 Mag.) that he wanted to dispose of after a mishap at the range.*

He said there was a loud bang when he tested his new ammo, (Chinese made),
    and the gun smacked him in the forehead, leaving a nice gash.*
    *When the tweety birds cleared, this is what he saw ...

Bet he never uses Chinese made Ammo again!

Photos:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. gorknoids

gorknoids New Member

Sympathetic detonation????? WOW!

3. dunerunner

dunerunner New Member

Uh, Chinese ammo? My guess is that he reloaded, probably a wee bit too much.

Why do I say this?

Way back when I was a youngster, my brother-in-law got a reloading kit along with a brand new .357 S&W Model 19. He and I reloaded 50 rounds using Unique powder and his dad ( a machinist ) had double checked the scale we were measuring the charge with 4 1/2 grains. What we didn't see was a "10's" wheel under the beam of the scale set to "1". We loaded 14 1/2 grains into those casings and forced the bullet into place. Blew the cylinder in half, sheared the top strap and warped the frame. Luckily, his dad made us unload the other cylinders and fired only one round through the gun.

Classic overload!!

Last edited: May 30, 2010
  4. rodent.22

rodent.22 New Member

Wow- did ya check the weapon and his hands for radioactivity?

5. CA357

CA357 New Member Supporter

The guy was awfully lucky not to get seriously injured and it's a damn shame to destroy a nice Model 29 as well.

6. spittinfire

spittinfire New Member Supporter

I'm with dune, he had to of overloaded that ammo. I find it hard to believe that any factory loaded ammo would produce that, although anything is possible. Hate to see that happen to a beatuiful weapon.

I will also mention that is why my magnum handloads are done one step at a time for as many rounds as I'm loading. It's extremely time consuming but it makes anything unusual stand out.

7. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

I do some HEAVY .357 Mag loads that are right at the upper edge of good. I use a powder measure that dumps onto a scale. I then move the pan to second scale, THEN into the case.

8. canebrake

canebrake New Member

Not to poop on your party but that photo(s) looks awfully familiar.

Last edited: Jun 2, 2010
  9. Dzscubie

Dzscubie New Member

I followed your links Cane and looks like it goes back to 2007.

10. dunerunner

dunerunner New Member

And that is about the best self check safety step you can do. I would bet this guy mis-measured or mis-read the charge or used a charge of one powder, substituted another powder and assumed they were the same. :eek:
    Either way, I'm with CA.....What a waste of a nice pistol!!

Yup...same gun!

Last edited: May 30, 2010
  11. m72law

m72law New Member

it could be fixed....he should have been shooting a ruger;)

12. Kelly J

Kelly J New Member

The Photos are the same perhaps I got hood winked but I will say I never bought into the Chineese Ammo story, I've seen good Rugar 44 Mags look just like this because of the Wrong Powder and Overloaded Cases, the Result of the Dirty Harry Syndrome.

I have a belief that if I want to pull a trigger on a cannon it better have wheels. and if my 40S&W isn't big enough I will change over to my 10 mm, if that don't get the job done I'll reach for my long gun. But that's just me!

13. mcramer

mcramer New Member

nice gun...well it was.

thats scary though

14. doctherock

doctherock New Member

If it were Chinese ammo I would expect a squib round not a blowout. Looks like it hurt, thats for sure.

15. gorknoids

gorknoids New Member

It wasn't a case of too much powder, it was a case of the wrong damned formulation. If it was otherwise, there would be no need for primers.

16. Txhillbilly

Txhillbilly Active Member

Those photos have been traveling around the internet for several years. And there are several different stories about the gun,the shooter,and what the supposed cause of said accident was.

Kinda like the bogus monster hog that was posted awhile back. It's fake and photoshopped.

17. spittinfire

spittinfire New Member Supporter

My wife told me I'm not allowed to do this to any of my weapons, especially hers.

18. deathkricket

deathkricket New Member

+P++ would be a good bet :)

19. Uchahi

Uchahi New Member

That is crazy!

20. Gojubrian

Gojubrian New Member

Yep, I've gotten that in my email several times. :rolleyes:

So, you were there when he brought this in and said that huh? That's what my email said too, *copy and paste job* :rolleyes: