Mirage?

Discussion in 'Optics & Mounts' started by Mercator, Oct 12, 2020.

1. Mercator

Mercator Well-Known Member

Sometimes as I aim through the scope the picture gets blurry, goes in and out of focus. Is that mirage or the scope or eye fatigue?
    This happens with and without Rx glasses. I ruled out fogging the eyepiece and the parallax.

Rifling82 likes this.
  2. sheepdawg

sheepdawg Well-Known Member Supporter

With me it's called old age.

Caveman Jim, Rifling82 and Oldoutlaw like this.

3. Oldoutlaw

Oldoutlaw Well-Known Member Supporter

Same with me.

Rifling82 and sheepdawg like this.
  4. Rifling82

Rifling82 Well-Known Member Supporter

I’m not old :p:p

towboater likes this.
  5. freefall

freefall Well-Known Member

Then it's called impairment.

Oldoutlaw likes this.
  6. primer1

primer1 Well-Known Member Supporter

If it's happening after you have shooting awhile, it's probably eye fatigue. If it happens all the time, you're old.

7. locutus

locutus Well-Known Member Supporter

Sounds like eye fatique to me.

8. Chainfire

Chainfire Well-Known Member Supporter

The older you get the quicker your eyes get tired.

Sniper03 and locutus like this.
  9. Oldoutlaw

Oldoutlaw Well-Known Member Supporter

Yep, yep. That's the rifle guy! :D:D

towboater, alsaqr and Rifling82 like this.
  10. OldManMontgomery

OldManMontgomery Active Member

Mirage is a wavy, fade in, fade out sort of effect. If you follow the 'wave' about, there will be a place where the wavy effect goes straight up. At that point you are looking straight into the wind moving the mirage. Mirage is an effect of heat, most seen over dry and hot areas like flat dirt, sand, asphalt or concrete.

Old age eyes is a failure to keep a focus very long, or achieve one sufficient to formulate a sight picture.

primer1 likes this.
  11. Viking

Viking Well-Known Member

If it's before shooting, as above, otherwise it could be from a hot barrel, I've had this happen to me a few times, what seems to help is slow down firings and open the bolt, set the rifle aside and let cool air going through the barrel help cool it down between shots.

12. sheriffjohn

sheriffjohn Well-Known Member Supporter

From an old guy with decades of eye doctoring, take my advice. Make an appointment with a good opthamologist (M.D. doctor) right quick. You only get one set of eyes. Explain in detail what's happening. Sometimes it's the scope, true enough or it might be heat dissipation or "fatigue". Learned the hard way - sometimes it's a medical problem that, if treated early can be fixed. Serious stuff can come on sudden or so gradual folks dont find out until it's progressed too far.

Friend had been having a bit of blurred vision, did nothing. Awoke one morning blind in one eye. Not just blurred. Midnight black. Another sees doubles of everything and will for the rest of his life. Take care.

13. Sniper03

Sniper03 Supporting Member Supporter

As most have said too much time focusing on the target through the scope can cause eye fatigue. Or prolonged periods of time shooting. It is as important as breathing to do things correctly to help avoid issues. What I do is until I am on the Scope to shoot I keep both eyes open when I am down on the Cheek Weld to fire a precise shot. For movers I shoot with both eyes open. since I use the ambush method. Mirage usually will not cause the scope to fade in and out. But the wind can cause the bull on the target to fade in and out depending on the heat and wind speed. But as far as effecting the vision through scope it will not. That is usually caused by holding ones breath to long or as mentioned eye fatigue.

Mercator likes this.
  14. Chainfire

Chainfire Well-Known Member Supporter

That is a good point and also very relative to pistol shooting. Sometimes when I am shooting a string, and having a ball, I forget to breathe, and the shot placement shows it.

Sniper03 likes this.
  15. Les Moore

Les Moore Well-Known Member

It sucks being the same age as old people, don't it ? Probably just eye fatigue.
    Doze off in the hunting stand, yet ? :D