Miracles of modern medicine!

Discussion in 'The Club House' started by Pasquanel, Oct 10, 2017.

1. Pasquanel

Pasquanel Proud to be an American Supporter

Today a young man, probably younger than most of my children sucked the natural lens and cataract out of my right eye in less than twenty minutes. He then replaced my natural lens with one that corrects my astigmatism and vision at that same time. My vision as I write this is still "foggy" but I have high expectations.

If all goes well we do it again next Tuesday. Overall the experience was fun and enlightening and a tip of the hat to Wentworth-Douglass Hospital in Dover NH who made this a pleasant experience.

2. phideaux

phideaux Active Member Supporter

My wife had both eyes done last year,
    She says it is great, everything is sharper , and much clearer.

Good luck with yours.

Jim

winds-of-change and Dallas53 like this.

3. Dallas53

Dallas53 Well-Known Member

wishing you a speedy recovery Mr. Pasquanel. and hope the next one goes well too.

4. burr527

burr527 New Member

Had the same thing done years ago. !00% happy with the results. Always wore glasses, now can see like an eagle. Best part- got a complimentary stress relieving shoulder massage by a pretty nurse prior to surgery!

5. Balota

Balota ... but I used to play keyboards.

Winds had each eye done, but one at a time. She got the best lens they had available which was quite costly. Insurance only covers the basic lens. Better lenses are not covered. Now she has bionic eyeballs as we call them.

I'm going to ask my opthalmologist whether I qualify for that surgery to be covered. If they will cover it, I'm getting it done with upgraded lenses.

6. burr527

burr527 New Member

Balota,
    Do whatever you can to get the premium lenses. They are more than worth the expense.

Balota, winds-of-change and Dallas53 like this.
  7. 303tom

303tom Well-Known Member

Hope you have a speedy recovery Pasquanel, getting my left one done on the 30th !.............

Dallas53 likes this.
  8. Pasquanel

I went for the premium lenses, why go through the surgery and not have your vision corrected?
    Good luck on yours Tom, it's a piece of cake I'm having my left eye done next Tuesday and if I could I would go today! I literally had zero discomfort.
    Balota if you can go for it.

303tom, winds-of-change and Dallas53 like this.
  9. winds-of-change

winds-of-change The Balota's Staff Member

Yes, I had cataracts removed from both eyes. One in 2014, one in 2016. I had multifocal lenses put in. It was awesome!!!! The change in vision is incredible. I didn't know how much color I was missing and how much trouble I was having seeing as the growth of cataracts is slow. Easy procedure with life changing results.

Balota and Dallas53 like this.
  10. 303tom

303tom Well-Known Member

Getting my right one done on the 11th of Dec...................

11. Dallas53

prayers that all goes well for you Mr. Tom.

12. Chainfire

Chainfire Well-Known Member Supporter

I did it about 18 months ago. It corrected my distance vision, I no longer need glasses to drive, but it trashed my close vision, I have CSS without readers. That pretty much reversed my pre-treatment situation.

After the fog cleared after the surgery I realized that I didn't remember what white looked like. It was a wow moment.

I made the error of watching a video of the procedure between my two treatments. That made the second one worse because I knew what was going on. But the worse part of all of the treatment is the weeks and weeks of drops.

13. winds-of-change

I noticed all colors were brighter. Vibrant blues, bright yellows, pretty lavenders. I watched the video only after both eyes were done. But I had an IV that made me not care, anyway. I was awake but had a ‘yeah, sure, fine’ attitude. LOL. Yes, the drops were endless. I carried my little pouch with me everywhere.

14. Pasquanel

I'm just getting past the fog period, I didn't watch a video but one of my daughters is an operating room nurse so I got a blow by blow detailed description. I may need cheaters to read but I'm good with that. I too had forgotten how bright white is o_O
    I had a great bunch of nurses and the procedure was nothing, the most painful part was I opted to remove the electrodes on my chest and ended up removing a few clumps of hair.
    My youngest grand-daughter asked my wife why I was all covered in fur.....:p

15. buckhuntr

buckhuntr Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporter

I've got cataract surgery on my radar, probably within the next two years. I'm not looking forward to another surgery of any kind, but it will be nice to see clearly again.

Dallas53 likes this.
  16. Pasquanel

You walk in and you walk out no big deal I hurt myself worse than that on almost a daily basis. Plus my hospital has delicious blueberry muffins!

17. F4U

F4U Well-Known Member Supporter

Next eye exam I am gonna ask too! As I understand it they won't do the surgery if your eyes are changing fast. I had 20-15 vision at 48, I needed glasses at 51, mine may be still changing too fast!:(:(

Dad watched the video of a knee replacement after Mom had her first one done. He said it looked more like carpentry than surgery, he wouldn't let Mom watch until she had the second one done, for fear she would back out if she saw the actual procedure.:eek::eek:

18. Dallas53

they give you blueberry muffins after the surgery? :)

Pasquanel and winds-of-change like this.
  19. winds-of-change

It’s really no big deal. After the surgery each time, Balota and I went out for breakfast. You have to protect the eye while it heals but the benefits are wonderful and there is no pain. Much easier than open heart.

Balota and I went out for breakfast. All I got after surgery was juice.

20. Balota

Balota ... but I used to play keyboards.

My vision is 20-400 when my eyes are rested and 20-600 when I'm tired. Think about that a second. What you can read at 2 football fields away, I can read at 20 FEET! Since 2nd grade I've never gotten out of bed without putting on my glasses. But with glasses, it's correctable to 20-15. They usually correct me to 20-25 since stronger gives me some headaches.

I've never been able to wear contact lenses. It takes a skilled opthamologist or 2 men and a boy holding me down to put drops in my eyes. Getting an eyelash out is unmitigated he!! on earth. Touching my eyeball borders on impossible. So after watching the video with Winds, I'm having a hard time imagining drugs good enough to make me think "Sure, fine, whatever". But I'm still going to get it done.