Minnesota no longer recognizes Texas CHL

Discussion in 'Minnesota Gun Forum' started by bowserb, Aug 20, 2015.

1. bowserb

bowserb New Member

Big disappointment. Planning a Great River Road trip with the grandchildren, and the only problem state would have been Illinois, which was easily skipped by traveling the west side of the river. Now I've lost the MS River source and first few hundred miles. Trip is cancelled.

I thanked the MS River Parkway Commission of MN for the maps, along with my donation to cover postage and handling, and I let them know our trip is off and why. I take safety and security of our grandchildren seriously.

I don't know who started it, but I see Texas also no longer accepts the MN license. Where oh where is nationwide reciprocity?

2. regload

regload Member

Where did reciprocity go? To the great wasteland in the sky where ultra-rightwing Constitution deniers feel that it is somehow a ruse to take away our individual gun rights. Give me a break. They truly haven't a clue about what they discuss.

3. Balota

Balota ... but I used to play keyboards.

I think there is fear that if the Federal government gets involved in the licensing of handguns, then they will be in a position to take gun rights away unilaterally. As a result of that fear, people who opine against Federal reciprocity take the position that licensing is a State's rights issue.

I disagree. I do not believe licensing is a right that the States should enjoy. 2A clearly states that we have the right to keep and bear arms. So, it is a subject covered by the Constitution. 10A only gives States the right to legislate in areas NOT covered by the Constitution. However, I am realistic enough to know that the Federal government is not going to tell all the States that all their CCW licensing laws are null and void and may never be reinstituted. Licenses are here to stay, so I would like to make the best of that situation.

I would not want the Federal government to be defining or controlling the basis of obtaining a license. All I want as "Federal reciprocity" is a clear, general decision (a) that 2A says all Americans have RTKBA and (b) that all States must recognize other States licenses. In this way, handgun licenses become as generic as drivers licenses. This is probably still wishful thinking, but I believe there is a better chance of this than universal "Constitutional carry".

4. Does anyone here think driving licenses are reciprocal because of some Federal interference or regulation?

5. Balota

Balota ... but I used to play keyboards.

I have wondered how that situation arose. Do you have a reference for it?

6. bowserb

bowserb New Member

I don't know who disallowed the other first. In fact, I don't know if Texas ever accepted MN license. I got an email from Texas Law Shield about MN no longer accepting Texas and Missouri, so I gather that change just happened. In fact, I know it just happened.

Only about three weeks ago, I checked the reciprocity map at handgunlaw.us. I wanted to see if the Great River Road was a feasible road trip. I also checked to see what states were included in my Texas Law Shield multi state coverage. At that time every state on the river except IL was OK with the Texas CHL. IL was easy to avoid by driving the west side of the river. That was only three weeks ago. I checked again, and sure enough, handgunlaw.us is up to date and shows MN not recognizing the Texas CHL.

This is the first instance I've seen of reciprocity being removed between two states. Typically, reciprocity has been getting better rather than worse.

7. robocop10mm

robocop10mm Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

Generally, the reciprocity is based on similarities in application criteria and training. As long as two States are similar in the way they license their people, the other State will honor their licenses.

The reality is often political. When one State peaves the other, the yank reciprocity.

8. tinbucket

tinbucket Well-Known Member

The only reasons I've heard is some states not subscribing to the registration scheme, where other states can look at your plates or licenses and say he if a firearms owner and probably carries at least one firearm.
    Constitutional Carry States Citizens are denied their Right because they are not registered, or permitted to carry in some states like Nevada.
    Also a carry permit and be marked for extra scrutiny and persecution and prosecution in places like Maryland, NJ, NY and so on also.
    Better part of discretion I left off a cite.

Last edited: Aug 21, 2015
  9. EngrBob

EngrBob New Member

The reason that Minnesota no longer accepts a Texas CHL is because Texas passed a law in 2014 to allow 19-year-old military personnel and veterans to obtain a permit. Minnesota law does not allow issuing permits to anyone under 21.

10. schnuffleupagus

schnuffleupagus New Member

Ultra Right wing constitutional deniers? Better check your compass. Your directions are off 180 degrees

11. CaptMidnight

CaptMidnight New Member Supporter

Condemning citizens who do not trust their Federal Government is the sport of Liberals. Branding these gun owners as Ultra-Right Constitutionalist is like Obama's infamous comment. They cling to their God and there Guns. Yes, I am one of those. :)

12. Seargent_York

Seargent_York New Member

There are two things at play for Minnesota reciprocity:

-age of 21
    -other state must have mandatory pistol qualifying component to their CCP (Minnesota does)

As far as the comment about ultra right wing this, whatever the f*ck THAT was about - Minnesota is by far the most liberal state not on a coast. Wisconsin used to be close. Illinois as a state no, Chicago as a state run city, yes

The one good thing though is Minnesota is chock full of outdoorsman (duh!) and hunters of all types. Silencers were just declared legal here. Magazine restrictions always die before they hit the floor. Still, there is a liberal majority here so depending on events elsewhere, we need to be wary of our rights and vigilant about standing up for them

13. EngrBob

EngrBob New Member

14. CaptMidnight

CaptMidnight New Member Supporter

That is exactly why every gun owner should work for Constitutional Carry in every state. All politics are local. Every change in Constitutional direction starts at the local level.
    The main problem is gun owners accept politically correct gun laws. They take politically mandated classes and pay fees while under going back ground checks.
    They then brag on what great gun laws their state has?:confused: These same gun owners then want a quick fix. They want a magic Band-Aid applied by the Federal government called Reciprocal agreements. .
    Comparing 2nd Amendment Rights to a Drivers Licenses is reducing the argument to an elementary level. When enough states acquire their Constitutional rights the Federal Government will lose their control.:)

15. Seargent_York

Seargent_York New Member

There is a huge difference between obeying and accepting. Important not to confuse the two while you are in the midst of labeling your fellow gun owners

16. formerCav

formerCav Member

according to this site, if you have a residential TX CCW permit you are good to go in MN
    https://www.usconcealedcarry.com/travel/
    Maybe this needs to be updated, but I'd check further if I were you.
    I moved OUT of MN back in 05 to AZ.
    I plan to NEVER go back. MN does NOT honor the AZ CCW and I took a two day class to get the CCW and am a full time resident of AZ.
    I've often told folks that the only people who have rights in MN are queers and criminals! They get mad at me for telling the truth.

17. robocop10mm

robocop10mm Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

I fail to understand how having a concealed carry permit "marks" one for extra scrutiny in any jurisdiction. Texas does not have any notation on a license plate or computer record of the CHL status of the owner. Unless, NY, NJ or MD consider EVERY resident of a CHL State to be a handgun licensee. That would be a major stretch and absolutely ZERO probable cause to stop.

18. formerCav

formerCav Member

thats what all gov'ts say! Kind of like the NSA has NOTHING on anyone.
    I got a bridge for sale too!
    If you think it sounds like I don't trust no gov't, you are correct.!

All the gov'ts have done to me my whole life (68 years now) is LIE to me!
    100% of the time.

19. bowserb

bowserb New Member

I'm 68 also, but I have had a different experience with government than you. Besides lie to me, government has sent me to fight in a stupid, stupid war (Vietnam) and ever since than has taken money I've earned from me and given it to people who have chosen to not work.

20. formerCav

formerCav Member

me too! Welcome home brother. I was with the 3rd Squadron, 4th Cavalry, 25th Inf. Div from Nov 67 to Aug 24, 68 when I got zapped.
    I worked a paid taxes too. And it only took the VA THIRTY years to recognize that I got combat injuries to my leg and blinded in one eye.
    Nice folks the are !!!! (NOT)