Minimum bug in supplies

Discussion in 'Survival & Sustenance Living Forum' started by jimogden1984, Apr 9, 2012.

1. jimogden1984

jimogden1984 New Member

I live in a fairly rural area...a mile off black top, 10 miles from a gas station and 15 from the nearest walmart. I don't have a lot of neighbors and can trust the ones I do have. What would you consider to be the bare minimum I should have in a shtf situation? as far as firearms go I have a 1911, ruger mini 30, 12 gauge and 4 .22s. I stock up on ammo when I can. We have plenty of game running around and a creek on our land and a well. Also have a lot of machinery and farm equipment and lumber, wire, and stuff like that around. What should I look into getting to add to my collection or I guess I should say to really get one going? I'm just looking for suggestions on stuff to get started and then I can build from there.

2. Marlinman

Marlinman New Member

A garden and canning stuff is a really good place to start. A fuel tank on the place is a good idea too. Otherwise nothin is coming to mind.....im sure more will come later on though;)

God didnt make all men equal colonel Sam Colt did

3. spack762

spack762 New Member

A safe water supply. Livestock, and the skill to care and use them.

4. Ranger-6

Ranger-6 New Member

Do a risk assessment

1. What is the threat?
    2. Can you defend in place?
    3. For how long?
    4. Food, water, and ammunition.

5. Marlinman

Marlinman New Member

He has the water already....guineas make a dang good alarm system plus they keep your bug populations down. Geese work as well if you can stand the noisy suckers

6. jimogden1984

jimogden1984 New Member

Tried raising guinneas, critters keep gettin em. No matter how hard we try or what we do we just haven't had any luck. I shot 4 coons in 2 nights when we had some last summer. That took care of it for a couple weeks but then something else got em

7. Marlinman

Marlinman New Member

Idk then

8. jimogden1984

jimogden1984 New Member

I'm plannin on tryin again this summer and getting a trail cam, figure out what's gettin em and when they're comin

9. Marlinman

Marlinman New Member

Thats a good idea....if you have a coupe your puttin em in a piece of rope that has old soup cans w a hand full of gravel on it strung low across a door way works also. There is a thread that give you ideas on that titled ways to get rid of problem coons i think it is....let me find it and get back to you on that.

10. Marlinman

Marlinman New Member

The thread is quiet round capable of oppossum sized pest

Last edited: Apr 9, 2012
  11. hiwall

hiwall Active Member

Alot of critters eat guineas, we lost many before we gave up on them on the farm. You might want to buy a water filter. Having water is good but having potable water is better. If you live where it gets cold in winter you should have a plan for that. Hunting for food is fine but might stock up on some canned stuff, salt, spices. If you use propane for cooking/heating you might just keep the tank full or consider stepping up to a larger size tank.

12. jimogden1984

jimogden1984 New Member

Thanks, I'll check it out. And thanks to everyone else for the ideas. I think wed be able to survive for quite a while but theres a few things I need to look one getting

13. Marlinman

Marlinman New Member

Your welcome and what things? We can probably give you some ideas on brands and costs on most things

14. jimogden1984

jimogden1984 New Member

Like the water filter, gas, propane, more canned goods and a garden. I guess if gas runs too short I always have the horse haha

15. Marlinman

Marlinman New Member

Exactly...on the horse. Water filters are easy to find, just figure out what you want and start pricin. The fuel(diesel/gas) is easy. Buy you a farm fuel reservior at a farm supply place and put a little in it everytime your at the gas station and have a little extra $ to use for fuel.

16. kryptar19

kryptar19 New Member

If I didn't know any better id say you were my neighhbor. Lol all the didtances you listed are the same for me.

Now our bug-in list for food is full lof canned good and the like. Anything with a long shelf life. Beans, wolf chili, spam, saurkrout, mac&cheese, etc.

As far as llive stock goes, we raise chickens and goats. Get animals that do not have to rely on you for more than a place to sleep. Plus, goats get rid of the need for a lawn mower.

As far as weapons and ammo goes, my rule is to have at least 1k stored for EVERY firearm. I also suggest you get one more rifel and one more pistol.
    At the moment I need another rifel, and I'll probably end up getting another pistol and shotgun.

This is what works for me. I hope it helps.

17. jimogden1984

jimogden1984 New Member

I'm always in the market for new guns but my walet says no

18. HockaLouis

HockaLouis New Member

What are the necessities of life?
    Food, clothing, shelter, security, health.
    Guns and ammo ya got -- be practical.
    You have a roof and don't have to freeeze to death.
    Water filtration/purification and intermediate-term (weeks/years) of nourishment.
    First aid.

19. BenLuby

BenLuby New Member

Bow/Crossbow as well. If you're seriously in a bug in situation, firing a gun is like sounding the alarm to anyone in ear shot. Getting a bow/crossbow and becoming proficient with it has a few benefits. Utterly silent, reusable, and, if worse comes to worse, you can make them yourself.

20. kryptar19

kryptar19 New Member

Agreed, but if your gonna go for a bow I suggest a recurve or longbow. IMO the less mechanical things to rely on with a bow, the better.