minimum ammo?

Discussion in 'The Club House' started by rifleman1, Mar 5, 2010.

1. rifleman1

rifleman1 New Member

what would be the minimum amount of ammo you would want to have for your two primary defense weapons going into a SHTF scenario? i currently have a thousand for my rifle and a thousand for my pistol.

2. DarinCraft

DarinCraft New Member

Well I'll tell you this, you have more than I do and I feel prepared;)

3. canebrake

canebrake New Member

Two full mags for each gun. (After the shooting stops!)

4. Dillinger

Dillinger New Member

From this thread: http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/newreply.php?do=newreply&p=33791

This is a standard that I live by in my house. YMMV.

JD

5. deth502

deth502 New Member

have, or have on me??

if need be, and i had to, i have a lbv with a holster for the pistol and 4 addl mags, 6 addl mags for teh ar, and 2 frag grenade pouches filled with 12 ga.

in storage at the house is a different story.

6. gorknoids

gorknoids New Member

.223 as your primary defensive round doesn't really fit the Katrina scenario. Offensively, yes, but that presumes that you're going to be taking shots at people before you know what their situation/intentions are.
    I'm thinking that a good pump-action 3" 12GA and a band saw would be preferable. Winchester Model 12 with a Monte Carlo cheekpiece comes to mind. #4 shot/slug/#4shot/slug...........

7. gorknoids

gorknoids New Member

As for the water jugs, burying them, even in the desert will keep the water cool, and therefore less apt to grow bacteria. Collapsible plastic water containers work great for this, because you don't have to dig a perfect hiding hole. They conform to whatever you can manage to dig.

8. Rick1967

Rick1967 Well-Known Member

I like the idea of a 22 with a full brick of ammo. The thing to think about with hunting is you may not have refrigeration. If not, then large game would go to waste. Most hunting would probably be kept to a size that could be consumed that day.

I have over 1000 rounds of each caliber I reload. That is pretty common for a reloader. But, I have an ammo can that is specially marked. It has 200 rounds of 45 auto, 200 rounds of 40 s&w, 100 rounds of 357 mag, 40 rounds of sks, and a brick of 22lr as well as some 12 gauge bird shot. I have another can with 100 rounds of 00 Buck. Those are what I would grab in an emergency. If I have to defend my life or the lives of those around me I can do that. I was in the Army. However, I personaly can not justify a 200 yard rifle shot as self defense. That is just me. I would not hold it against anyone here with a different opinion. Again this is just me. If someone was shooting at me from a distance I would of course return fire.

9. MGH

MGH New Member

I've thought about that too, I would imagine you could make a fridge out of snow and ice if you're in the right area. If you're in the dessert though I guess you could make a bunch of jerky, but I'm not sure how to without electricity.:eek:
    Damn technology! I guess the Amish were right all along.:p

10. doctherock

doctherock New Member

the ammo is only good if you can pack it all. Id go for half the ammo, will be plenty laying around from the unprepared.

11. CA357

CA357 New Member Supporter

I always add more ammunition when I can. I consolidated calibers some time back, so .30-06, 12ga. and .45 ACP is what I stock the most. Those are my defensive calibers.

I have a good supply of .22lr and a fair amount of 357's. But those are not my SD/HD calibers.

Unfortunately due to the FTF party boat sinking, I no longer have any guns to shoot them with.

12. willfully armed

willfully armed New Member

jeppers, I used to keeop 1500 for my faves

13. spittinfire

spittinfire New Member Supporter

I keep more 45 then anything because that's what I shoot the most. I've usually keep at least 1000 rds of each pistol caliber on hand, a few hundred for my 30-06, a boat load of bird shot and about 100rds of buckshot with a few boxes of slugs in there too for all my shotguns. A couple thousand 22LRs too.
    Any to think, if CA357 hadn't talked me into going on that stupid boating trip I'd still have all my guns.

14. Gus556

Gus556 New Member

WOW.......I am way over prepared!
    I have >3k rounds for the AR's, >5k rounds of .22LR, >1k rounds of 12GA, >1k of 9mm, and >1k each of .45ACP and .44Mag.
    I also maintain rounds for guns I used to have or rounds I obtained buying huge boxes of shooting supplies from yard sales, auctions, etc. I would hesitate to put the amount of ammo overall into whole numbers as I am sure I could not be accurate. I keep them in safe storage but I have never totally quantified them. Chances are good that if you showed up with something, I would be able to make it fire.

15. Car54

Car54 New Member

Well now we all know where to gather when the SHTF. We'll bring everything we have and have a grand old time.
    I have 600 rds .223, 500 rds .45, 600 rds .380, 50 rds 00 buck, 50 rds slugs, 150 rds. .38 special, and some odds and ends for guests (in Fla). In Michigan, I have 400 rds, .223, 300 rds .45, and 100 rds. 380.

BTW, coming into the FTF in January, I haven't heard about the party boat incident. So When, where, why, and how would be appreciated.

Last edited: Mar 7, 2010
  16. CA357

CA357 New Member Supporter

The party boat incident was a terrible tragedy. We were planning a Schutzenfest and heading out when Moby Dick and a Tsunami swamped the boat.

Thankfully, no members were lost, but our firearms sank without a trace. Sadly, there are some beautiful firearms that rest on the ocean floor.

Now we mostly collect ammunition for nonexistent firearms and reminisce about the good old days.

We've had so many new members join recently, that a plan is in the works for another boat trip. ;)

17. skullcrusher

skullcrusher New Member

To make matters worse in the boat accident, we were directly over the Marianas Trench....:(

18. Rick1967

Rick1967 Well-Known Member

You guys crack me up!!!! I love this site!!

19. Gojubrian

Gojubrian New Member

I often wonder if I could kill and eat my dogs should the need arise. :D

How much ammo? I keep 500rds per firearm on hand.

20. robocop10mm

robocop10mm Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

I guess it depends on the duration of the event. A Katrina like event with a return to normalcy in less than a month is a piece of cake. Bug in, hunker down, keep a low profile for as long as possible. I will be fine in that situation. No need to forage for food or water.

Longer than that will require significant assets (ammo). If the sit does not stabilize after a month, we have problems. The Government has likely failed and society has crumbled. 10K+ 5.56mm, 5K+ 7.62 NATO, 5K+ 7.62X39, 2500+ .30-06, 5K+ 12ga., at least 5K of each handgun caliber. 4-500 for scoped bolt rifles.

This would carry a family through some pretty tough times. I'm OK.