Minigun

Discussion in 'General Rifle Discussion' started by Eattheham, Feb 23, 2012.

1. Eattheham

Eattheham New Member

Ok so I was just wondering, is the minigun real?

2. Jay

Jay New Member

Sure it is... I took these pics of it working at night, in northern I Corps in 1967....

Attached Files:

3. unclebear

unclebear New Member

yep during name they mounted some on the sides of C47 for ground support, the cobra gunship has one mounted on front that points where ever the gunner looks. I know some black hawk (if not most) have them mounted next to the door. Also they're tons of videos on the internet of them firing, mythbusters even had a thing where they fired one off the top of a humvee if I remember correctly.

4. Snakedriver

Snakedriver New Member

Real how? I've fired tens of thousands of rounds out of one. The nose turret in the old G-model Cobras that I flew had a 7.62 caliber minigun that would fire 4,000 rounds per minute and the ammo drum would hold 4,000 rounds. Every sixth round was a tracer. While it looked like the tracers were about an inch apart while firing there were actually five standard rounds between each tracer. Firing over water where you could see each impact was truely an awesome sight.

Now of course there are miniguns mounted on almost every type of vehicle and aircraft. The man carried version with the backpack of ammo is purely a Hollywood fantasy due to the power requirements and the weight of the ammo that would be needed. An average man could only carry a couple of seconds of ammo in a backpack.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. hmh

hmh New Member

I was always told that they could cover every square inch of a football field with a round

6. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

There are two different firearms called the mini gun.

One is a minature revolver made in Switzerland. Yes, it is real. It is not the first- people that have the skills of a jeweler have built miniature working firearms for over a century. You will not find the Swiss mini-revolver in the US- the 1968 Gun Control Act bars the import of certain firearms that do not meet a mnimum weight/ size limit.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KIq3JkoABYM[/ame]

The other mini that the folks are referring to is a powered Gatling gun. rate of fire varies depending on the gun, but can run as high as 6,000 rounds per minute. A small version was in the movie "Predator". The LARGE version is the size of a Volkwagen Bettle, and is carried by the A-10 Warthog- fires a 30mm diameter shell. Smaller versions are on the AC-130 Spectre gunships (the sons of the AC-47 "Puff the Magic Dragon" aircraft) and the smallest are the side gunners weapons on Huey and BlackHawk helicopters.

This is the version used for heavy traffic in Los Angeles-

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LvHMbN_epe4[/ame]

7. robocop10mm

robocop10mm Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

Many people refer to all electrically operated, multi barrel machineguns/cannons as "mini-guns". IIRC the 7.62 X 51 verssion is called a minigun. There is also a GE six pack that is 5.56mm (the movie Predator). A 20 mm version and the 30 mm in the belly of the A-10 Thunderbolt. Probably a few other caliber options out there.

8. Snakedriver

Snakedriver New Member

In addition to the 7.62 caliber version in the nose of the Cobra helicopter, I also had one of these on the wing for a while in 20mm. Worked great against enemy armor.

Attached Files:

9. MobileMarine

MobileMarine New Member

Yea man i picked one up from the last show and got video remote car mounted tripod for it too , fit s nice in the back of my tahoe . I could have put it out the roof but picking the casings up is a pain , but in the back of the tahoe , they all stay inside so i can reload them later .. But mine is chambered in the 338 lapua so its a bit more accurate :p

10. ScottA

ScottA FAA licensed bugsmasher Lifetime Supporter

Still gives me goosebumps to think you can get paid to do that. :)

11. 303tom

303tom Well-Known Member

O hell yes.................

Attached Files:

12. trip286

trip286 New Member

There is also an air soft mini gun I totally wouldn't mind having!

Maybe not quite as fun, but still tons of fun anyway. Plus, there are no ATF requirements and the ammo is much cheaper! And unlike the real thing, a person can actually carry enough ammo to have a little fun!

I think it's about 5k dollars though, a little steep for a plastic bb shooting toy, IMHO.

13. Snakedriver

Snakedriver New Member

Of course as a Hollywood prop it looks great! See that big ol' motor that spins the whole thing and the solinoids that retract to feed the ammo though? Well all that needs elec. power to operate and I don't see a big 12v battery to do the deal. The minigun doesn't use recoil or gasses to operate the mechanisms.

Between the short lifespan of a battery due to the size of the motor and the fact that it would empty that small backpack ammo box in a few seconds, it doesn't look viable to me.

I'm also skeptical of a man's ability to control a 7.62 minigun by holding it in his hands while firing at 4,000 rpm. I've tried to Rambo a M-60 with live ammo myself before and know that controling the thing is difficult to say the least.

Last edited: Feb 24, 2012
  14. ShagNasty1001

ShagNasty1001 New Member

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d84r8gMGxFQ&feature=youtube_gdata_player[/ame]

15. Snakedriver

Snakedriver New Member

Well that's just too cool. If I hadn't seen it myself, I wouldn't have believed that he could control that thing firing at that rate. I do notice that he stays pretty much stationary because of the large ammo box and the two car batteries running the gun. That's the limiting factor I guess for trying to make it a mobile man-carried system. Love the sound of that thing going bbbrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr!!!

Thanks for finding that film and putting it up for us to see! :cool:

16. ShagNasty1001

ShagNasty1001 New Member

Oh it's no problem. I saw that last night as I was cruising around YouTube and was pretty shocked myself!! It'd be a great zombie slayer though

17. robocop10mm

robocop10mm Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

He stays pretty much stationary because the pedestal mount is bolted down to a concrete slab. Check out Dillon Aero M-134. They make the 7.62 versions. The Predator movie gun was the 5.56 version. Not even Jessie Ventura in his prime could trek the jungle w/one minute's worth of ammo and control a 7.62 Minigun.

18. Snakedriver

Snakedriver New Member

Robocop, watch the film all the way through. I'll be damed if the kid doesn't manage to fire the thing handheld hanging from a shoulder strap. It seems to be a 7.62 version too. I wouldn't have thought it was possible either. It's fairly dark while he's doing this, I wonder if he is getting some help from a hidden support?

As far as being able to hump through the jungle, I couldn't agree more. The ammo weighs 80 lbs. for a thousand rounds and that would only give you 15 seconds of fire, so quaudruple that for a minutes worth. Then, the gun weighs 66 lbs., plus you'd have to haul some heavy-ass batteries around to power it. Sounds more like a serious squad served weapon like a mortar team.

19. clr8ter

clr8ter New Member

"That is what the **** I am talking about." LOL. Awesome! I wish this guy was my neighbor.

20. MobileMarine

MobileMarine New Member

Now we just need to show that video to rick on the walking dead and send his ass back to atlanta .

The lead toxicity levels of that pond just sky rocketed , prob much more than the swamp behind me .

He shot more 308 in a few seconds than i would stock pile for a life time .

If im correct , I do believe most military systems run off 24v dc , hence the two optima red tops . if not most the alot do . 24v is much more effeciant than 12 when it comes to running smaller items . The old m715 we had would crank and run off 12 but did so much better with 24