Mini Scoping problem

Discussion in 'Mini-14 Forum' started by Shihan, May 23, 2011.

1. Shihan

Shihan Active Member Lifetime Supporter

So, I have this 187 series Mini that I am trying to mount a scope on and I am having a problem.

What size scope will fit this darn thing? I have gone through two(2) different scopes.

I am not looking for any high dollar scope, it's a Mini after all. What would be the best budget scope and size objective diameter.

Prices around $150 and under. It's just for plinking.

2. KMO

KMO New Member

3. Shihan

Shihan Active Member Lifetime Supporter

40mm is hitting the shield and not letting scope seat into rings.

4. M14sRock

M14sRock New Member

See if Wally World has any of the Leupold Rifleman Series 2-7s. They have a 32mm objective bell and should work for you. Plus, the Mini action can be rough on scopes, and Leupold makes a durable scope with a lifetime warranty. They used to be about $169.

5. KMO

KMO New Member

If you call Ruger's customer service, they will swap your rings for taller rings at no charge. They will do this once for any rifle.

6. OzarkRecluse

OzarkRecluse New Member

Have you thought about using a B Square mount. This one allows me to use my scope (Weaver K4) as well as the stock rear and Mo-Reaper front sight.

[​IMG]

7. KMO

KMO New Member

Sharp rifle Ozark! ;)

8. Jeff_F

Jeff_F New Member

I use the B Square mount on my 185 Mini 14. I have had it for a few years and found it to be quite solid and it returns to zero when you remove and replace the side mount. My rifle travels in a saddle scabbed quite a bit with the scope removed and carried in the saddle bags, when I have needed more then irons, the scope has reattached quickly and never let me down yet.

9. Snubshooter

Snubshooter New Member

I use a Leupold w/o a forward bell. SUNP0004.jpg

10. alard17

alard17 New Member

do it

how are you shihan i'v read your proplem and the best thing to do is not to buy that scope because it is really useless i can advice you to save money and buy an ar-15
    i hope to be your friend safwa92@gmail.com

11. Gojubrian

Gojubrian New Member

I gave you a thumbs down for stupidity. :mad:

12. Stillwater

Stillwater New Member

Another one, grossly unclear on the concept...

Bill

13. plumbernater

plumbernater New Member

Ive had my mini for awhile and they can be rough on any scope. Its the forward slam of the op rod that damages the scopes, being they are designed for reciol. A fixed power scope seems to last longer on the minis being tougher made. dont get me wrong I have heard of some multi power scopes lasting pretty good. I had a tasco 4x9x40 that lasted on my mini with a square B side mount. Couldnt keep it tight and took her off. its on my 22 now and still will hold 0

14. Stillwater

Stillwater New Member

I have a SS 580 model Mini-14 made in 2006. Using the Ruger high rings, I have a Leupold VARI-X III 3.5X10X50 scope mounted on it and there is plenty of clearance between the 50 MM scope bell, and the handguard.

Your problem isn't that big of a nuisance...

Bill