Mini Range Time

Discussion in 'Mini-14 Forum' started by sandog, Dec 24, 2013.

1. sandog

sandog Member

Yes, I've been posting here a lot lately, but somebody needs to keep the Mini forum going! Today was fairly warm (39) so I went over to a valley I used to live in, one of the "banana belts" of Montana. Usually no snow or very little snow. When I got to the range, the wind was howling, so I didn't stay as long as I'd have liked to. Last shot is of the Tobacco Root Mtns.

Attached Files:

2. therewolf

therewolf New Member

I like the rifle, did it come that way, or did you

have it Parkerized ?

(Oh yeah, like the mountains, too. ;) )

3. sandog

sandog Member

I sprayed it with Oven bake Cerakote. Got the Mini from a co-worker last spring for $400, I put another $600 into it, but $350 of that was the scope and rings.

4. primer1

primer1 Well-Known Member Supporter

That is a one fine looking mini. Nuff said there.

Be sure to post again when you get some better range time. The wind surely didn't give the groups any justice, but it is always good to practice. I'm wondering how some 55 gr ballistic tips would do.

5. sandog

sandog Member

Thanks for the comments. My 195 series Mini has a 1-7" twist, it seems to do better with the 62 to 77 grain bullets. I do have some 55 gr. Sierra Blitzkings loaded with Varget that shoot as well as the heavies. I just loaded 300 rounds of 55 gr. Hornady V-Max for next spring's prairie dog shooting, but did not try any until I get a calmer day.

6. hawkguy

hawkguy Well-Known Member

three words: riverrat's shooting challenge!

is that mini of yours just purty? or does she bite? :p

give it a shot! (pun intended!)

7. Cade

Cade New Member

Where bouts do you go for the dog shooting?? I go to eastern MT around mls city and terry, spend about a week each year. I take a Cooper .223 , a CZ 527 and my mini, going to have to work on it to stop slinging brass so far away, a Savage in 17 HMR, a 22 mag in Magnum Research and my custom build Ruger 10-22, think I have everything covered.

8. sandog

sandog Member

Cade, I was working in Sidney, north of Glendive all last year. It's mostly farmland there and I never saw any dogs. I used to go just across the border a few miles into North Dakota and shoot on the natl. grasslands there. It's all public land and lots of prairie dogs. You have to get a North Dakota "non game" license, $17, to be legal. I used to see a lots of dogs form the highway when driving past Miles City.

9. Copeman60

Copeman60 New Member

Nice mini!! Always wanted one but the price drove me away.. Beautiful mountains by the way:)

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using Firearms Talk mobile app