mini 30 Update and optics question

Discussion in 'Mini-14 Forum' started by TexasVet, Dec 8, 2012.

1. TexasVet

TexasVet New Member

Hey all, been too long, been too busy. Happy holidays -Veteran's Day- Thanksgiving - Pearl Harbor Day- Christmas.

Based on a my original post http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f95/mini14-upgrade-mini30-57879/ I bought a Ruger mini 30 tactical and 4-20 round Ruger mags, added a recoil buffer based on suggestions here [thanks]. I will take my mfg concerns to the Ruger Forum.

The optics question based on my eyesight, I'm thinking I should go with a 2X7 scope instead of a red dot, is twofold:
    Name some scope mfgs. that are quality across all price ranges and have something under 200 bucks.

Then there's this;
    Is a pistol scope an option for a 100yd and less shooter mini 30 tac?

2. Holmes375

Holmes375 New Member

Redfield Revolution 2-7x33mm is an excellent scope for the Mini. Under $200 with a $30 rebate until the end of the year.

Scout scopes, handgun scopes, etc, are not my cup o' tea. They generally have a more narrow field of view than their traditional counterparts. Additionally, I don't care for the way the balance of the rifle changes with their forward position.

This is really quite a personal opinion and there are many whom prefer and swear by the scout scope set-up. Jeff Cooper is cussing me right now from the beyond... :)

Last edited: Dec 8, 2012

3. TexasVet

TexasVet New Member

Thanks for the tip and the feedback on pistol scopes. I know they have greater eye relief and possibly could work. I need all the eyes on target as possible. :D

Field of view is paramount along with 'both eyes open' targeting.
    Thanks again, still researching

4. heymatthew

heymatthew New Member

I will second the 2-7 Redfield. I have the Revenge (not the Revolution). I think they're fairly similar, but the Revenge is apparently made (or at least assembled) in the US. I'm REALLY happy with the 2-7 on my new Mini 14 Tactical with the Hogue stock. Here's a photo to let you see what it looks like. It would be similar on your Mini 30, I think.

[​IMG]

And here is a writeup about the actual scope that I did earlier this fall: http://www.firearmstalk.com/reviews/revenge-2-7x34-4-plex-rifle-scope.html

Got my scope from Amazon.com for $139. The $30 rebate brings it down to $109. Not bad for this optic and it handles like a dream on my Mini.

Hope this helps you out!

5. tri70

tri70 New Member

The Redfield scopes are very popular and have great reviews. I bought my Nikon 3x9 on sale for around $100. If you can hold them and check the eye relief with scope picture to make the best choice.

6. TexasVet

TexasVet New Member

Thanks for continuing the feedback. I'm going to a gunshow Dec 22-23 to see, fondle and talk rifle scopes for the Mini30. Some of what goes on here will be noted as a reminder to ask good questions at the show.

Anyone with experience on red/green dot such as Millet 3/5/8/10 would be welcomed also. this rig is for defense rather than hunt.

Nice looking rig heymatthew ! I did notice the Revenge model when looking for/at the Revolution.

7. heymatthew

heymatthew New Member

Thanks for the compliment on the rifle. It's a great shooter and super-fun to take out to the farm. I'd love to get a Mini 30 to accompany it someday... :D

I had this Millet Red Dot for a few minutes before I boxed it up and returned it. Here is my review from Amazon.com explaining why I didn't like it. Others may have a different experience with the Millets and I'm sure they'll chime in as well.

If you want a tube-style red dot and you have the coin, get yourself an UltraDot. I couldn't be happier with mine. It's been on a couple different guns now and I'm still thrilled to pieces every single time I turn it on.

8. TexasVet

TexasVet New Member

Appreciate the write-up on Millet. You made up my mind as I wasn't convinced a 60 buck scope was going to go the distance. I have been looking at Burris and like them and they get good reviews. glad you turned me on to UltraDot. I haven't heard of or found them until your suggestion. can anyone tell that I've never been on scopes? lol. They are definately inside my price range and the 4 MOA and the Lithium 3v CR2032 battery add to the plus side of the consideration.

30mm tube is fine as long as I can get 30mm rings for Ruger.
    I found two ways to do that also, one thru a trade up with Ruger, my 1" for their 30mm. The other with Warne Maxima rings

9. heymatthew

heymatthew New Member

Glad that I could offer up some good advice for you. Let me know if you need input on the UltraDot optics. I have the plain Jane 30mm 4 MOA dot and it works like a charm. I have it mounted to my little 10/22. I'd be glad to send you an image of it with the optic mounted to give you an idea of scale. I've had that optic on my 22/45 and my 10/22 and it hasn't faltered, hiccuped or lost zero at all. I've probably got 3,000 rounds under that optic and it turns on just as it did the day I took it out of the box.

As for the rings, you might consider the Warne QD Rings. That's what I'm running on my Mini and they are REALLY nice rings. A little finicky to get installed, but once they're on the optic and gun, the QR levers work well and I can get my optic on and off in no time at all. It should be noted that the little QR levers do interfere with the charging handle on the Mini 14, but moving it back or forward (depending on which lever you're turning) gets it out of the way so the rings can be detached.

10. hawkguy

hawkguy Well-Known Member

i second (oops third) the redfield. made by leupold in usa, lifetime warranty. very clear scope and fits my mini like a glove!

Last edited: Dec 12, 2012
  11. hawkguy

i have a little millet red dot that is actually pretty good, but not that model, it was an sp1.

12. heymatthew

heymatthew New Member

Keep in mind that the Revolution is made in the US. The Revenge is made in the Philippines. Just FYI... :D

13. hawkguy

the ware QD rings are GREAT! i never thought the levers interfere with the charging handle myself, only a bit during removal and re attachment.

the only prob is they are a bit pricey.

14. hawkguy

right! the revolution is the way to go! i love mine! for the price, damn hard to beat imo.

oh, and btw...great looking mini!

15. JTJ

JTJ Well-Known Member Supporter

I went with an Amega rail and scout on my 30 but on my AR I went with a Bushnell Trophyy XLT 30mm 1-4x24 4A reticle with an illuminated 1 moa red dot built in. You still have the scope if the battery dies. It gives you both a 1x red dot and up to a 4x in one unit. Ruger will exchange the rings if they have not been used. I shopped around and got mine for $180 delivered. One of the reasons I went scout on the 30 is bolt removal on field strip. The scope has to be removed on a conventional mount to get the bolt out. It really does not throw the balance off and sits very low so cheek padding is not required.

Attached Files: