mini 30 questions

Discussion in 'Mini-14 Forum' started by jimogden1984, Feb 26, 2012.

1. jimogden1984

jimogden1984 New Member

Just as I had decided to get an m&p 15 when I found a mini 30 in a pawnshop here in town. They want about 675 for it, comes with 2 mags and a folding stock and they still have the original. I don't know much about the mini 30 but from what I've read they seem like a pretty decent gun. They claim its only been fired 6 times but I'm not too sure I believe it. It is aw a pawn shop afterall haha. Does this seem like a pretty good deal or do you guys think there's better out there? I've never fired one or even seen one in person till I found that one. I'm thinking the 30 would be better for me than the ar. Its will be used for hd and plinking, possibly hunting if I can find a place to go. I'm in the country but there's so many houses around these days I'm not sure about rifle hunting on my own land. I've heard mixed reviews on them but mostly good. Is this a deal I should jump all over? Any other opinions and info on the mini 30 or any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

2. JTJ

JTJ Well-Known Member Supporter

Is it the new model (580) or the old model 189 or lower? If it is older, $500 would be more reasonable. Fired 6 times could mean 6 trips to the range and 1k fired each trip. Look up a mini 30 on Slickguns or Buds.

3. spack762

spack762 New Member

My friend also bought a used Mini-30, with a folding stock. It was not a good rifle. It would jam on the seconed or third round ever time. No matter what mag we used, what ammo,or how we used it. Now this is my only experices with the Mini-30 system, I dont know if it was dirty, bad spring, or the after market stock was messing with it. I have nothing agaist the Mini-14 or 30, when my buddys did work it was a sweet gun.

4. jimogden1984

jimogden1984 New Member

i tried to call and find out but no answer so i guess theyre closed on sundays. ill try again tomorrow and report back. if it is the 580 does it sound pretty decent for being used and not knowing for sure how used?

5. jimogden1984

jimogden1984 New Member

do you know if that was the older or new model? did he get the problem fixed and if so how did he do it?

6. Byrdguy

Byrdguy New Member

Also, is it a Ranch version? they came with scope mounts and rings. I have a Mini30 and a Mini14 and the FACTORY mags are the best. I've had problems with aftermarket mags. My 30 is an older one, 189 series and it's been a long while since I've fired it, but I don't remember it giving me any problems. (I would have gotten rid of it if it had)There are lots of upgrades and goodies for them also. I wouldn't pay $675 for it, but that's me.

7. spack762

spack762 New Member

It was over8yrs back, I dont know. He sold it to me. I played with it for a time. In my very limited knowaladge I think the stock was to blame. Again i have no idea what it was. I sold it yrs back. The moral of the store; becareful of someone elses project:)

8. jimogden1984

jimogden1984 New Member

ya, im hopin theyll come down a lil for me. if they wont i will probably pass

9. jimogden1984

jimogden1984 New Member

Well, I ended up buyin it. Had a butler creek folding stock the 5 round mag and three 20 round mags. I got a simmons scope to put on it, I don't know much about scopes but hopefully simmins isn't too bad. I've always been an iron sights guy so this is gonna be a lil different for me. Hopefully ill make it to the range this weekend

10. jimogden1984

jimogden1984 New Member

It didn't have the owners manual with it though, any ideas on where I can get one?

11. JTJ

Go to Rugers website. You can download a pdf file or call and ask for one. Which model was it? 1st 3 digits of the serial number give you the model.

12. jimogden1984

jimogden1984 New Member

First 3 are 581...I made sure it was over 580 after the good advise I got from you. I put 40 rounds through it from 50 yards tonight and got the scope sighted in kinda. The wind was strong enough it was hard to keep steady and I was using a bale spike on our tractor for a rest...did what I could with what I had. Ill have to wait for another day to really zero it in. I nailed a targer to a locust tree about 6 inches thick and just about cut the tree down haha.

13. JTJ

You are OK since it is a newer one. I have found that Silver and Gold Bear ammo work well in my 189 series. Do not use Tulammo due to primer problems. Use some blue locktite on the scope bases not red. The scope will have to come off to get the bolt out. Ruger rings should re zero when you put them back on. There are plenty of how to videos on you tube.

14. jimogden1984

jimogden1984 New Member

There's even how to videos of the break down and cleaning. On rugers website, they go through it pretty fast though. I found the owners manual and printed it off, ill probably read through it tonight or tomorrow after work. I've heard that muzzle breaks and flash suppressors can actually improve accuracy, have you used either of these? Which would you recommend and what are some good sites to shop from. I'm on cheaperthandirt.com regularly and couldn't find either on there for the mini 30. I've really enjoyed shooting it so far, the trigger is pretty heavy. That's probably the only think I would change so far.

15. JTJ

I dont care for muzzle brakes but I do like flash hiders. Idiot politicians dont have a clue to what a flash hider does or they would not ban them in some states. Do not get the combination flash hider muzzle brake as they are worthless gimmicks meant to make money for the mfg. They are not compatible. You get one or the other. Mobar makes a nice flash hider and new front sight combo that is nice.

16. jimogden1984

jimogden1984 New Member

Awesome, ill chech em out. Thanks

17. Byrdguy

Byrdguy New Member

I just put one of KMO's Mo Reaper on my Mini14 and it is top notch qualitywise. (haven't had a chance to get to the range yet) I need to upgrade the stock rear sight now. I'm also running a Laseraim red dot on a B Square mount and it lets me use the iron sights also.

18. jimogden1984

jimogden1984 New Member

19. jimogden1984

jimogden1984 New Member

I emailed him about the flash hider and any other products that might help. Thanks for the help.