Mini 14

Discussion in 'Mini-14 Forum' started by tenntyrant, Jan 8, 2012.

1. tenntyrant

tenntyrant New Member

Will a mini 14 shoot 5.56 as well as 223 or is it designed only for 223 and how well made and accurate are the new mini 14s better or worse than past models?

2. Chandler51

Chandler51 New Member

Refer to the manual, or contact Ruger.

3. firedawg60

firedawg60 New Member

I doubt it. Like Chandler stated, check the manual. I know a lot of AR's will fire .223 and 5.56. From what I understand, 5.56 has higher pressures than the .223. So if it's not designed to shoot the 5.56, I don't think I would. Let us know what you find out.

4. tenntyrant

tenntyrant New Member

On there website it says 5.56 cal

5. Chandler51

Chandler51 New Member

If that matches up with what is on the gun, you should be good to go. If the barrel is marked .223 Rem, I'd want to either see in the manual that CAME with your mini, or talk to someone @ Ruger, either by phone or email to confirm it will fire 5.56 NATO. As I understand it, .223 is ok in a 5.56, just not the other way around. Many, MANY threads here on that topic if you're interested in the particulars.

6. JTJ

JTJ Well-Known Member Supporter

The Mini 14 is chambered for 5.56x45 except for the target model which is chambered for 223. 223 may be fired in a 5.56x45 chamber but not a good idea to shoot 5.56 in a 223 chamber.

7. Snakedriver

Snakedriver New Member

Yes, everything but the Target Model. My understanding is that the Mini has actually always had a 5.56 chamber even though it's marked .223 Rem..

Here's Page 3 of the Owner's Manual:

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 8, 2012
  8. TLuker

TLuker Active Member

Pressure?

My understanding is that a 5.56 has more pressure than a .223. I've also read before that the mini is chambered for the 5.56 and was meant to shoot either. The only concern I have is that the .223 with the factory gas block is tough on the action because of too much pressure. Would the 5.56 be even harder on the action because of higher pressure than the .223 with the factory gas block?:confused:

9. Snakedriver

Snakedriver New Member

You're talking about the heart of a battle tested system that has worked flawlessly in rifles like the M1 and the M14. You're not going to be able to do anything to hurt the gas system in a Mini-14 shooting ammo it was designed to shoot. Remember, Ruger wanted to sell the Mini-14 to the Military and Law Enforcement, the chamber and all the systems were intended to use 5.56.

My old 183-series Mini has fired countless thousands of 5.56mm rounds without a single hiccup ever. The action and the gas operator are still like new.

10. TLuker

TLuker Active Member

Mine throws brass 20+ yards and dents half of it and that's with .223. On the plus side it has never failed to cycle, but its definitely high on pressure. I figured that much force would be tough on the action. Just out of curiosity does your throw brass as far or is that just with the newer minis?

11. Chandler51

Chandler51 New Member

20 yards, seriously?

12. Snakedriver

Snakedriver New Member

LOL! Only 20 yards? Mine slings it clear into the next county! :D That's always been a characteristic of the Mini. Nothing like a good positive ejection system. ;)

13. OzarkRecluse

OzarkRecluse New Member

These rifles have been around for many years. You'll have no problem with your rifle from shooting either caliber.

14. TLuker

TLuker Active Member

I asked some guys at the other end of the tables at the range to keep a heads up for flying brass while I shot a few rounds. They thought I was joking until brass from the first shot hit one of them. I hate getting the tables on the far right because I can't ever find the brass and if I go the left I take a chance on hitting people to the right. So yes, seriously 20 yards. But again, it has never failed to cycle. :D

15. Chandler51

Chandler51 New Member

Wow, I guess not!

16. Snakedriver

Snakedriver New Member

I've been using a rigid plastic brass catcher by E & L Manufacturing on my Mini for about 20 years. It's about $36 and will be the best investment you'll ever make if you want to retreive your fired brass. It works flawlessly without interferring with the operation of the gun. I have the model #101, but you'll probably need the model #102 if your's Mini is a Ranch or Mini-30 style. It fixes the problem of flying brass at the range, no kidding!

Here's a link to the E & L website:

E&L Manufacturing e.Store - Brass Catchers

17. 1stMarine

1stMarine New Member

A gun chambered for 5.56 will fire a .223, but a .223 should not fire the 5.56. The case dimensions are slightly different and a 5.56 in a .223 chambered weapon (except for bolt and single fire) can rupture. It will fire, but id stay on the safe side. The .223 in the 5.56 is ok though becaues the case on the .223 is thicker and fits well enough to operate. Its much like the relationship between .308 and 7.62 x 51 except reversed. The .308 can fire the 7.62 but a 7.62 should never fire a .308. Again to do with case thickness and minor differences in dimensions.

Never Forget.

18. Chandler51

Chandler51 New Member

Unless otherwise stated by the manufacturer...my AR-10 is stamped 7.62, but will fire .308 Win. (Per the ArmaLite factory manual).

19. masterPsmith

masterPsmith New Member

The 5.56 Nato and the .223 Rem cases have the exact same external case dimensions. The military Nato 5.56 cases in most instances are slightly thicker. The .223 Rem is loaded to commercial industry specs while the 5.56 Nato rounds are loaded to approx. 10,000 psi higher pressure. Due to bullet design and higher pressures of the 5.56 Nato round, it should not be used in a firearm chambered for the commercial .223 round, dangerous peak pressures can result in some firearms with bad things happening. The .223 Rem can be fired in a 5.56 Nato chamber all day long. The 5.56 Nato chamber has a longer free bore than the commercial .223 chamber for use with the 5.56 bullet design and higher pressures. "ALL" of the Mini-14s,except for the "Target" Model are chambered to use both the .223 and 5.56.

Please have your facts straight before posting info as you have done in your post.

This subject comes up time after time in the Mini forum without the poster doing a search first for the info.

Jim..............................................

20. louieboots

louieboots New Member

So what brand of ammo does the Mini 14 like the best? For range also for self defense?