Mini 14 Stock

Discussion in 'Mini-14 Forum' started by Jeffko, Jul 8, 2015.

1. Jeffko

Jeffko New Member

I just picked up a 195 series Mini 14 after hocking one as a dumb kids some 35 years ago. I have a few questions below if you guys would please comment. Thanks

1. I had an assault stock that had a sliding butt and a shotgun type pump action that grabbed the slide to clear/load the chamber. Can't find it anywhere and would like to have one again.

2. does anyone subscribe to this article contents? https://www.brownells.com/.aspx/lid...pgrading-the-Ruger-Mini-14-The-Brownells-Way-

3. Any tips/tricks would be great to hear of.

Also, im assuming that the 195 series is also chambered for 5.56.

2. FernandoTheCommando

FernandoTheCommando New Member

Unless its the target model, its definitely chambered in 5.56. Ive never seen a pump style stock that grabs the charging handle. Some guys like the tactical ATI stock for the mini. I have 3 stock for mine and the one i like most is the hogue rifle stock. Its light and i think it looks killer in od green with the stainless. On a 195 series i think your best upgrade would be an accu-strut. It should tighten the groups. I have a 580 series and it shoots good enough for me, but i do plan on putting a strut on some day.

3. primer1

primer1 Well-Known Member Supporter

Congrats on the new mini.

Assault stock? It would be if you thumped someone over the head with it. An assault rifle is one that you assault somebody with, a stock is the same the way many here see it. Just a terminology thing here at ftf.

Upgrades? Check the stickies. Trigger job, barrel strut, and the undersize gas port bushing is a heck of a start.

4. mtnbadger

mtnbadger New Member

The stock that uses a pump action to chamber the first round is called the MAXI-14 stock. They are not very common.

5. FernandoTheCommando

FernandoTheCommando New Member

I just looked up that maxi stock and all I saw was people trying to get rid of it.

6. mtnbadger

mtnbadger New Member

The only one I see for sale online is $100 on Armslist.

7. hawkguy

hawkguy Well-Known Member

welcome to the board!

get a 2 clamp accu-strut on that thin barrel. after that you should be good to go! enjoy your new to you gun!

that maxi 14 stock is interesting, i had never seen one before.

8. Jeffko

Jeffko New Member

Maxi 14 is the same concept but not the same stock. Unless the one I had was an earlier version But I don't think so.

Thanks guys for the input. I'm happy to have a Mini14 again.

Attached Files:

9. Misfire51

Misfire51 New Member

Nice lookin set-up. Me personally, I would put an Accu Strut on it , do a trigger job , bed or shim the stock, Tech Sight rear sight. And get some Ruger Factory Mags. Looks like you have the Choate flashider already and the Choat handguard, Woot your good to go. Don't know if you handload but there are guys on here that do with some good results. Enjoy. oh ya, keep the stock it looks great.