Mini 14 skeptic...

Discussion in 'Mini-14 Forum' started by Boggy5, Feb 10, 2011.

1. Boggy5

Boggy5 New Member

I don't claim to know a lot about the mini 14, reading most of the posts has been very interesting. I had a mini 14 for over a year and hunted two coyote seasons with it. In Iowa we hunt from trucks, scare them up, chase them down and shoot them on the run. Obviously the good ol' boys in the group are very successful at doing this with bolt-action rifles, I felt like I needed a semi-automatic that gave me as many chances as possible.

When I zeroed the gun in the best groups I got were the size of a volleyball at 100 yards. I thought for sure the scope was loose or something. It wasn't. I tried three different kinds of ammo and reduced the grouping size a little, but still nowhere near the size I had expected.

I recently sold my mini 14 and bought a Remington VTR in a .243. Much more accurate, but now I feel like I it's one shot and done, if I miss, the critter is gone.

I'm torn, I want a semi-auto; don't want to spend the money for an AR, and want something more accurate than my mini 14. What are some of the cheapest fixes that improve the accuracy the most on the mini's?

Last edited: Feb 10, 2011
  2. NGIB

NGIB New Member

I have to ask, is this even legal? I'm not a hunter but I've always heard bad things about "truck hunting" - just being curious...

3. stalkingbear

stalkingbear Active Member

You can get a DPMS for about 700$ or a RRA predator for less than 1,000$. We have a vendor that sells "Mo Rod" that instantly cuts the groups in 1/2. Or you could get the newer Mini 14 Target model.

4. Boggy5

Boggy5 New Member

Truck hunting is very legal...and expensive. With gas prices going up, it's probably the most expensive kind of hunting you can do :) Now with the new Iowa carry laws, you can have your rifle loaded, handgun loaded and shotgun loaded and ready to go, if you have a concealed weapons permit.

Dangerous? Can be. That's why you have to know and trust who you're hunting with.

5. amoroque

amoroque New Member

6. NGIB

NGIB New Member

Where there's smoke there's fire. Thought maybe this was bad stuff...

7. KMO

KMO New Member

Maybe it's legal if the hunter is driving/hunting only at night with a spotlight on the truck, and a six-pack on the front seat? :cool:

8. Boggy5

Boggy5 New Member

I highly doubt you made any phone calls regarding your sources, and if you did you weren't asking the right questions. Here are some quotes directly from the Iowa DNR website regarding CB radios and vehicles:

Exceptions: Coyote hunters may use two-way
    transmitters, except during the two regular gun
    (shotgun) deer seasons.

ATV Use and Hunting
    The following regulations apply when using allterrain
    vehicles for hunting purposes:
     ATVs cannot be operated on highways (except
    for agricultural purposes).
     It is illegal to operate an ATV on DNR Wildlife
    Management Areas.*
     A person shall not operate an ATV with more
    persons on the vehicle than it was designed to
    carry.
     You must obtain permission from the landowner
    to operate an ATV on private land.
     When transporting guns on an ATV, guns must
    be unloaded and in a case at all times.
     It is illegal to chase or use a machine to assist in
    the taking of any game animal. (definition of a game animal is one with a season and a limit.)

Coyote - Continuous Open Season No Restrictions No Limit No Limit

In the state of Iowa a coyote is a predator who has no predators. They kill livestock, pheasants, fox, quail, and anything else that can be found in Iowa. They are a nuisance to farmers and not considered a game animal. I came on here to ask a gun question, not to defend the legality of my hunting, which is completely LEGAL!

9. dog2000tj

dog2000tj New Member

So how does your 2nd post validate your 1st post? Do or do not defend your position I do not care. But if you are breaking the law I would suggest you cease or at the very least do not refer to yourself as a hunter.

Thank you

10. amoroque

amoroque New Member

You are seriously going to doubt me on this one? Are you questioning my credibility?

I called and spoke with a person named Mona. She is at 515-281-5918, why dont you call and ask for yourself.

In my call I told her that some guy is telling me that "In Iowa we hunt from trucks, scare them up, chase them down and shoot them on the run"

So I wasnt asking the right questions??? I quoted you word for word.

The "no restictions" that you referring to is regarding no restictions on hunting hours. It does not mean that there are no restrictions in hunting coyotes.

Hey Boggy, I too am a coyote hunter. I understand the devastation to livestock, game birds and deer. However, there is a right way to do it and a wrong way to do it.

How about we put this argument to bed? I will email the Iowa DNR. When I receive a response I will post it. Sound good?

11. R-BOLT

R-BOLT New Member

Kansas also allows yote hunting from a motorized vehicle, though not legal to use a spotlight at night calling predators (dumb). I am not a fan of using vehicles, but many cattelman welcome that type of hunting on their ground so they do not lose their calf crop - I understand. I'll place my dollar on Boggy. I bet he is right. It is necessary where you need to protect your livestock from harm.

12. Boggy5

Boggy5 New Member

1.) Because the restriction is on ATV's
    2.) Coyote is not considered a "game" animal

It's not illegal. I will call myself a hunter also. I've spent 14 years bow hunting every weekend the season is open. I hunt squirrels during the season, and call coyotes in the spring, summer and fall. In the cold weather we prefer to stay in the vehicle as much as possible.

So other than one guy, am I not going to get an answer on the mini 14? I was looking in to the products by Mo-Rod until he ran off at the mouth. I would rather talk guns, but if need be I'll keep providing proof that what we do is 100% legal.

13. amoroque

amoroque New Member

I have sent an email to the Iowa DNR, will reply asap.

Oh, and for what its worth, I do apologize for "hi-jacking" your mini 14 thread.

Please let the mini 14 discussion continue, when I receive an answer I will create a new thread.

My apologies for disrupting the flow ya'll.

14. Boggy5

Boggy5 New Member

I just sent an e-mail to two different DNR regulations officers. I instantly got a message that told me to allow for 3-5 business days for a response. We'll see what happens.

I will say the debate on whether a loaded gun is allowed in a vehicle is very heated in Iowa. The DNR are sticking to their rules say it's illegal, state law says that with the new concealed weapons permit you can have one loaded. Some DNR officers will write you up and make you go to court to get the fine thrown out, which it will everytime, the DNR can't trump state laws. But most DNR around here save you the hastle and just check licenses and send you on your way.

15. allmons

allmons New Member

Mini 14 accuracy

You are correct that standard mini 14's have less than stellar accuracy. If you can hit a steel target with more than 10 rounds out of a 20 round magazine at 100 yards, you have an exceptional mini 14. I have heard that the newer target mini's solve that problem, but I have no experience with them.

:D

16. masterPsmith

masterPsmith New Member

Boggy5,
    All you have to do is read the stickys on accurizing the Mini-14. Then if you have any further questions, ask away..

Jim................

17. Boggy5

Boggy5 New Member

I read all of those, I was curious what the cost of accurizing one. If I'm understanding it correctly, each mini responds to the different accurizing attempts differently. Which one would you start with? And what's the approximate cost?

18. therhino

therhino New Member

The document linked below is the one I'm assuming folks are cutting and pasting from:
    http://www.iowadnr.gov/law/files/huntingregs.pdf

This document pretty clearly states that you can hunt coyote on a standard hunting license, with no time-of-day restrictions, nor bag limits.
    The document also states that "motor vehicles" are not allowed in game areas, and defines "motor vehicles" as "any self-propelled vehicle having at least three wheels and which must be registered as a motor vehicle under Iowa Code Chapter 321."
    The document then goes on to define two-way transmitters, and states that coyote hunters may use such devices, but NOT during deer hunting seasons.
    The document states that you cannot transport a rifle or shotgun in a motor vehicle on a public highway unless it is broken down, or secured in a case. However, once you leave the "public highway", my guess is as good as yours.
    The document also states the restrictions on ATVs, which Boggy listed. You do have to note that ATVs are not the same as "trucks". Also, that section is preceded by the statement:
    "“Prohibited acts.” Except as provided, the
    use of a motor vehicle on any game management
    area by a person without a valid permit, or at any
    site not approved on a signed map, is prohibited.
    Permits and maps must be carried by the permittee
    at all times that the permittee is using a motor
    vehicle on a game management area, and must be
    exhibited to any DNR employee or law enforcement
    official upon request." (p16)

You're not even allowed to DRIVE a truck in a game management area, let alone shoot a weapon out of one. Of course, that restriction is based on the "game management area." Also, the permit referred to in the quote is for folks with movement-based disabilities or physical handicaps. Such a permit only allows the use of the ATV for movement, and doesn't allow said individual to fire a weapon from one.
    Laws about firearms discharge are going to cover how and why you can fire a firearm out of a moving vehicle.

As for coyote not being a "game animal"...incorrect. Coyote are classified by the document as both "furbearers" and "small game." You still need a permit to hunt them, and must still abide by the rules for your hunting permit.

19. Boggy5

Boggy5 New Member

This document pretty clearly states that you can hunt coyote on a standard hunting license, with no time-of-day restrictions, nor bag limits.
    The document also states that "motor vehicles" are not allowed in game areas, and defines "motor vehicles" as "any self-propelled vehicle having at least three wheels and which must be registered as a motor vehicle under Iowa Code Chapter 321."
    "“Prohibited acts.” Except as provided, the
    use of a motor vehicle on any game management
    area by a person without a valid permit, or at any
    site not approved on a signed map, is prohibited.
    Permits and maps must be carried by the permittee
    at all times that the permittee is using a motor
    vehicle on a game management area, and must be
    exhibited to any DNR employee or law enforcement
    official upon request." (p16)

You're not even allowed to DRIVE a truck in a game management area, let alone shoot a weapon out of one. Of course, that restriction is based on the "game management area." Also, the permit referred to in the quote is for folks with movement-based disabilities or physical handicaps. Such a permit only allows the use of the ATV for movement, and doesn't allow said individual to fire a weapon from one.
    Laws about firearms discharge are going to cover how and why you can fire a firearm out of a moving vehicle.

As for coyote not being a "game animal"...incorrect. Coyote are classified by the document as both "furbearers" and "small game." You still need a permit to hunt them, and must still abide by the rules for your hunting permit.[/QUOTE]

Holy Cow people! I live here. Game Management Area refers to a public hunting land. A farmer's field is not Game Management. You DO NOT need a permit to hunt coyotes, you only need a standard hunting license, which also means you can hunt them without a furbearers license. You only need that if you are trapping them. I never said we shoot from the trucks, that was interpreted incorrectly. We get out to shoot. We also do all our shooting in the fields because you can't shoot from the road or across the road. We get stopped every year and never have gotten a citation.

20. therhino

therhino New Member

lol, that changes everything! I think everyone interpreted your initial statement as a bunch of folks standing in the back of a pickup with guns ablaze as it tore around at 40mph.

My bad!