Mini-14 Madness.

Discussion in 'Mini-14 Forum' started by Deadman1, Mar 29, 2010.

1. Deadman1

Deadman1 New Member

It's great to find a spot dedicated to the Mini-14, the Mini is one of my all time favorite firearms! I hope it's okay if I post of few pics of mine??

I've got a 186 series stainless dropped in an ATI Strikeforce, topped with a silver 3x9 scope and a newly installed Mo-Rod strut. :cool:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

And I have a new to me 181 series with no mods "yet" except for a stock refinish in "mean green".

[​IMG]

2. hiredhelp

hiredhelp New Member

Great looking Mini. I will always rather have a dependale firearm in a fight than one that is great once and must be worked on to repeat. Thanks for sharing...

1911....enough said

3. Kaptin

Kaptin New Member

4. JoeParker

JoeParker New Member

Nice Mini-14s you got there.

5. Shihan

Shihan Active Member Lifetime Supporter

Very Nice, You should leave Mean Green as it is, it looks good like that.

6. Deadman1

Deadman1 New Member

Thanks guys!

Hey, I have a question for you Mini-14 experts. I'm fairly new to them and the bottom gun in the pics I've had just two weeks or so. It's a 181 series however, it has a plastic hand guard, so I'm wondering if that could be original?? I ask because every 181 series I've looked at so far has had a wooden style handguard. :confused:

7. deth502

deth502 New Member

all of the newer ones have plastic hg's.

i think it sucks, i think the older wooden ones look miles better, but all i ever see are the plastic ones any more.

8. Glasshartt

Glasshartt New Member

Deadman, very pretty. Here is the one I have, and then the one I want :D

Attached Files:

9. hiredhelp

hiredhelp New Member

Hey Glasshartt, nice looking "GB". We have one in the "Blue" finish and have had great succes with it. The "GB" series seem to have a better history of accuracy, what say you?

1911....enough said!

10. Glasshartt

Glasshartt New Member

It's the only one I have fired so I have nothing to judge it against.

11. Missileman

Missileman New Member

That's my next one also Linda--saw one recently at a gun show for $699 and still kick myself for not getting it.

12. Deadman1

Deadman1 New Member

Very nice! You sure do have good taste!!! :D

I like the factory folder really well, just can't seem to luck into one yet. I'm still looking tho. :cool:

13. Kaptin

Kaptin New Member

picture of my 2

Rifle on top was bought new in 09 and has a Nikon 4X optic mounted.

The bottom rifle is an NRA edition.

I have been very happy with them both.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Apr 1, 2010
  14. Jynx

Jynx New Member

Those are some fine minis. I've been wanting one for a few months now, but really haven't made an active pursuit for it yet. Its been suggested that an older model would probably be a better choice due to the fact that they weren't mass produced like the newer ones. Anyone have any problems with their newer models? Really looking at the All Weather Ranch Rifle. Damn sexy rifle.

15. robocop10mm

robocop10mm Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

I would rather have newer one as they seem to be far more accurate than the average Mini of 20 years ago.

16. Deadman1

Deadman1 New Member

Very nice! :cool:

17. doctherock

doctherock New Member

whats with the strut and how much did it cost. The strut is just aesthetic to make it look more like the m14 correct?

18. LittleBear

LittleBear New Member

I love my Mini 14! My trusty ranch rifle was the first firearm I purchased. I remember I bought it used for 500 dollers at the gun store right after I turned 18...I know I bought it used but I swear this rifle never had a shot fired out of it. It was still in the box and still had the packing grease or whatever it is on it. Maybe it was just the owner cutting a guy a break! However my Mini 14 is NOT a 5.56 it is a .222 Remington. Does anybody have any exp with these? Are they worth less or more? I am not looking to sell becuase well I have had this firearm for a number of years and it is by far one of my favorites. Also if I sold this to anyone but my father he would surely disown me as his son...(It is his favorite too) Thanks Everybody!

19. Deadman1

Deadman1 New Member

There's seveal dif strut rods on the market that were invented to help improve the accuracy of the Mini's. I didn't really have an accuracy issue with mine as it seemed to be a good shooter. From what I've read; the thin barrel Mini's have an issue of stringing bullets when the barrels heat up. The strut seems to combat this issue in stabilizing the barrel, and working like a heatsink to cool the barrel. :cool: But, I dunno...

I just ended up with this one because; I know Kelly the owner of Mo-Rod from another forum, and he harassed me about my mini being nakid until I finally bought one from him. They cost around $80 plus shipping. And yeah, they are styled to look kinda like a M14.

Last edited: Apr 2, 2010
  20. Deadman1

Deadman1 New Member

+1 on the new Mini's. ;) better barrels...