Mini 14 Bolt Blues

Discussion in 'Mini-14 Forum' started by Gonzilla, Jul 9, 2012.

1. Gonzilla

Gonzilla New Member

OK folks, I haven't shot my mini in a a very long time but the shooting challenge got me fired up so I finally got it out of the safe and even changed out the wood stock for a Hogue.

I cleaned it and couldn't get the bolt out for love or money. I have a whole lotta glass on top which may explain why I can't get the forearm off as well. The bolt was always finicky but I don't remember it being this much of a PITA. :confused:

Looking for tips & tricks. (Everything short of bigger hammer approach :D)

PS: Ruger has very good tech tip videos but the bolt ALWAYS goes in on the very first try. Another guy on YouTube had that happen and called it a "Miracle."

2. billt

billt New Member

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8FpoULNO0DI[/ame]

You may have to remove the scope. I don't see how you can get the movement required otherwise.

Last edited: Jul 9, 2012

3. steve4102

steve4102 New Member

Did you remove the bolt lock cover, pin and ejector? I find it easier with that removed.

4. hawkguy

hawkguy Well-Known Member

i normally CAN'T remove the bolt without doing this myself, i have to remove these parts first. every time i'm like "why won't this %$#@# thing come out?" its cause i forgot to remove the cover, pin, and ejector. and i have never tried with a scope on....but it couldn't help imo.

for some reason, i get it out quick and easy.....but it always takes a little longer to get it back in. i just relax, don't force, and keep trying different angles...if you just look at the peice and the clearance and be patient, you can usualy get it in within a few seconds.

but the first 3-4 times i took my mini apart.......serious PITA!

and i hope you get a chance to shoot in the challenge, gonzilla. its really starting to pick up!

Last edited: Jul 10, 2012
  5. JTJ

JTJ Well-Known Member Supporter

I have not been able to remove the bolt with a scope mounted on the receiver. I went to a scout rail to keep the receiver clear.

6. hawkguy

hawkguy Well-Known Member

another reason i went with QD rings.

7. Sourdough54

Sourdough54 New Member

Can you post pictures from various angles showing that portion of the receiver, bolt and scope?

8. RobertsUSA

RobertsUSA New Member

Mini bolt snafu

OK .............

Is the bolt loose in the receiver?
    If so, persevere and finally it will fall out as if why didn't it do that before.

If it is not loose, is the firing pin the original factory FP, or an aftermarket?

If an aftermarket, the tail may not be in timing to allow the bolt to unlatch from the lugs.

Hammer or Big FXXXXXG Hammer ...... only use one like you are hitting your thumb. No more is needed unless you want to win above saving the bolt, receiver and your esteem.

Let us know what you finally do to get it out. Good luck and may the force be with you.

9. Gonzilla

Gonzilla New Member

Been trying to rationalize $89 for Warne QD rings...:D Hate paying S&H

Then I'll need a better scope & replace pop up rear sight...$$$ cycle

Budget tight, been working on my skeet career and it's not going well. Round 2 w the mini is on hold for the moment - just frustrating - will try to persevere.

Got couple hundred rds of Tula - for $3.99 a box on sale. - no idea if the mini will like it or not.

Hogue stock is an improvement over the wood stock.

Last edited: Jul 11, 2012
  10. p35bhp55

p35bhp55 New Member

I have two sets of the Warne QD rings for both my taper barrel series minis. You will only hate spending the money once, the happy days with the set up just goes on. Any time I do anything that might bump or damage the scope it just comes off.

11. Gonzilla

Gonzilla New Member

Sounds great ! Will yours run on Tula ?

12. p35bhp55

p35bhp55 New Member

I doubt that I will ever know. I have three minis all are modded with more to come and sending them back to Ruger for a firing pin isn't really an option. I'm currently trying to get down to about 3 different rounds and build a stockpile. If it could be 2 that would be even better. Since these are multi pourpose carbines and not bullet hoses, (have M-forgery for that) reliable feeding and accuracy are a must.

13. Gonzilla

Gonzilla New Member

Heard mixed review on Tula. Let me know what works well in your minis. Havent found a good & economical round.

14. jimogden1984

jimogden1984 New Member

I haven't had and problems with tula in my miny 30. An occasional fail to fire but not enough to keep me from using em at the range.

15. JTJ

JTJ Well-Known Member Supporter

The failure rate from Tula in my Mini 30 is 20% to 50%. Primers are not set at a consistent depth. Silver Bear has been 100% reliable. Wolf is OK for practice with a 5% or less failure rate. I can spot the ones that will misfire by looking at the primer depth.

16. jimogden1984

jimogden1984 New Member

I've been plannin on givin silver bear a shot but haven't got around to it, I might have to pick some up next time I go.

17. Gonzilla

Gonzilla New Member

I have not been a big fan of the mini 14, the Army gets ammo from the cheapest bidder and I have run enough ranges to know it goes bang and groups well enough to qualify.

I have 500 rds of Tula.:eek:. Will try to shoot it first, then deal w getting bolt out of gun. Cheap S. African NATO rounds are jamming machines but group well at 50 yds.

Thanks for tip on silver bear.

18. beaglesam

beaglesam Active Member

Silver Bear is no better than Tula IMO. Have tried both trying to save money and was disappointed with both.

19. billt

billt New Member

Through the years it has been my observation if you want to be assured your Mini runs good, use brass cased ammunition. When it come to dependable operation, the only guns I've seen digest steel cased ammunition without any problems are the Russian AK-47's, Mosin's, and SKS's. With AR's and Ruger Mini's performance and dependability is spotty at best with most any steel cased ammunition.

20. Gonzilla

Gonzilla New Member

I am sorry to hear that Bilt, particularly because I have 500 rds of steel case fodder. Brass NATO rds in Battle packs were not much better but I am old enough to know any mass produced item can produce a lemon or two and a 16" LT Wt barrels heat up in a hurry.

I may yet find the right load the rifle loves n the barrel harmonics produce good to excellent accuracy. :D. God willing, it will not be the most expensive load on the market.