Mini 14 back from Ruger today

Discussion in 'Mini-14 Forum' started by louieboots, Dec 12, 2011.

1. louieboots

louieboots New Member

Took my mini out today fresh from Ruger and still having issues I used factory Ruger mags..it would shoot then not eject round like shown in the pic below.. When I used the ten rd mag they sent it back with loaded with .556 NATO shot all ten rounds flawless.. I only took 25 rds with me I'm gonna try some more rds tommorow and if it still gives me problems it will be sent back.. Please leave feed back thanks!

Attached Files:

2. JTJ

JTJ Well-Known Member Supporter

Have you compared the flawless mag with your other mags?

3. shootitout

shootitout New Member

Sry to here your problem

4. louieboots

louieboots New Member

@jtj I did look the same one 5 rd ruger mag and and two 10 rounders

5. masterPsmith

masterPsmith New Member

Are you only having problems with ammo other than Nato ammo ???

Let me know what ammo you are having problems with and we can start from there.

By looking at the photo, it looks to be that it is a cyclic problem, possibly from a gas port obstruction or low gas port pressure. Nato ammo is loaded approx 10,000 psi higher than standard factory .223 ammo. If you have no problems with Nato ammo and are having problems with standard .223 ammo, then you are having gas pressure issues.

There could be other factors involved other than ammo issues.

If you are unable to solve the issue on your own, PM me for my phone number and we can go into detail over the phone. It would be easier than a long, drawn out process here on the forum. Then you can post the final result here.

Jim....................

6. Marlinman

Marlinman New Member

As he said it sounds like a gas issue and maybe a weak extractor spring also might be some of it also

God didnt make all men equal colonel sam colt did

7. Snakedriver

Snakedriver New Member

Most Mini's sling spent brass into the next county. Definitely a gas problem. How old is this gun?

8. louieboots

louieboots New Member

@masterpsmith the NATO .556 did shoot no problem.. I sent it back to Ruger again today with video and photo.. Hopefully they replace it..I tried Remington,Pmc,Winchester,and federal ammo in .223 they all failed..the rifle is brand new it's definitely a lemon..

9. louieboots

louieboots New Member

Thanks guys for the input I will let you know what happens when I get it back..

10. jismail

jismail Member

Most likely a silly question but have you dissasembled your action and ensured it is properly lubicated? New rifles ship with very minimal lubrication and some grease here and there will make the action much smoother and ensure you dont have unnessary wear on the parts.

11. louieboots

louieboots New Member

@jismail check mark on that

12. louieboots

louieboots New Member

Haven't had a chance to give a update but Ruger is sending me a new Mini 14..it wasn't easy we went back and forth a few times..they claim they shot 200 rds through it with no problem.. I sent them a vid and pic of the problem..they were using Hornady rds through it that stuff is expensive..maybe it didn't like my ammo? I don't know but definitely didn't function correct for me.. They wanted me to send the mags but there all factory mags they can't all be faulty..anyway I'm getting a new one but it's being sent to the store I bought it from and I have to wait 10 days again because it's a whole new gun and they had to order it so it's been about a month still no gun yet..pain in the ass this has been.. The price to pay for a new gun ..Is the Mini that picky with ammo?I thought Ar 15s were the princesses of 223 rifles.

13. purehavoc

purehavoc New Member

Hows that LC9 treating you ? hopefully better than the Mini ? Hope they just replace it for you .

14. louieboots

louieboots New Member

Love the Lc9 100rds no problems..I got a a brand new Mini on the way so I guess I shouldn't stress right?

15. Snakedriver

Snakedriver New Member

I've got an older 183-series Mini that I bought new back in the early 80's that will happily digest any ammo I decide to use. 5.56 NATO or .223 Rem. it doesn't seem to matter. One of the well known features of the Mini is its reliability. I can't say that I've ever known any of the many people I know who own a Mini that have ever experienced FTF's or FTE like you've encountered. Clearly there was something uniquely wrong with that one. It happens sometimes with any manufactured product, but it doesn't mean they will all perform like that.

Hopefully the new one Ruger is sending to you will perform up to your expectations. Keep us informed of your progress on this matter.

16. louieboots

louieboots New Member

Yeah I hope it works out for me I do love the Mini I just want one I can trust my life with.. Will keep you guys posted..

17. Jeff_F

Jeff_F New Member

I thought if they were replacing a defective firearm they could send it right to your door.

18. louieboots

louieboots New Member

New rifle new serial number..it sucks!

19. nick223

nick223 New Member

Had the same problem with my mini ended up trading it for a ak!

20. louieboots

louieboots New Member

Ak's are nice! Hopefully my new Mini runs like a champ