Milled receivers

Discussion in 'General Rifle Discussion' started by buckshop, Jul 15, 2012.

1. buckshop

buckshop New Member

I am a first timer to the world of the assault rifle.
    What is the main difference in stamped and milled receiver? Huge price difference For sure.

2. JonM

JonM Moderator

since an "assault rifle" is a fully automatic select fire rifle you cant buy a new one. they are no longer sold to the general public. havent been since reagan signed the gun control act of 1986.

if you mean AR15 which is a semi automatic rifle functionally no different than your grandad's browning deer rifle other than in cosmetic differences and stock choices. it doesnt really matter milled or not in my opinion.

3. buckshop

buckshop New Member

Thanks for that info. Could I purchase a used AK or AR with a milled receiver.

4. JonM

JonM Moderator

you can get new ar15 with milled or used ones. all the machine guns of that nature are forged or stamped.

with ak47 its a bit harder to find milled. i think arsenal makes new milled ones.

i dont think there is any benefit to milled vs stamped or forged

why do you want a milled one??

5. buckshop

buckshop New Member

I was thinking maybe it would be more durable or less chance of malfunctioning if it was hand milled. Does this make sense?

6. cottontop

cottontop Guest

Yes it makes sense. Milled parts are always more desireable than stamped parts (or receivers). Stampings are cheap, and are done just to save money. Milled parts are smoother, function w/ less drag and friction, fit and mesh with other parts more precisely. A gun made w/ stamped parts is cheap, rough, and rattly.
    cottontop

7. buckshop

buckshop New Member

Thanks, (Cottontop) that answers my question. When I purchase an AK or AR I will purchase milled. I want to pass a dependable weapon on to my son when I pass on. Who knows, dependable arms is what we must have for one day we may have to defend our country.

8. JonM

JonM Moderator

When it comes to the ak world from what i understand the stamped receivers are preferred. But im not an ak expert.

When it comes to aluminum forged or milled doesnt matter . Its the grade and quality of aluminum being used. A milled receiver with fine tolerances and low grade non spec aluminum will not last long. A forged receiver made with milspec grade aluminum will last several lifetimes.

9. cottontop

cottontop Guest

If a part is being milled, it is because the maker wants quality. They would not mill cheap or inferior metal. They would use quality metal for the quality milled parts. You wouldn't put a Model A engine in a Cadillac.
    cottontop

10. locutus

locutus Well-Known Member Supporter

The Russians and their allies discontinued milled receivers in the 1950s. The stamped receivers were found to be more than adequate for assault rifles.