Military veterans

Discussion in 'The Club House' started by NGIB, Jun 29, 2010.

1. NGIB

NGIB New Member

Got this from a friend of mine, also retired. On occasion, I enter the post using my retired ID (versus my civilian ID) and I always get a very respectful "Good Morning Master Sergeant"...

Last edited: Jun 29, 2010
  2. danf_fl

danf_fl Retired Supporter

I work as a contractor on a Naval Air Station. I too have shown my id card (USAF retirees do not have to have a sticker, but have to show id card) and have gotten the greeting of "Welcome aboard TSgt". Guess you could say that I am still in it (although another branch now.)

3. IGETEVEN

IGETEVEN New Member

Indeed, I miss it more than anyone would ever know, but I will never miss the damn bureaucratic invasion of politics, that are now deeply embedded, especially in my former branch of served operations.

Jack

4. opaww

opaww New Member

I would of stayed in the Army for the rest of my life if they would of let me

5. colmustard

colmustard New Member

Yeah I kinda miss the Air Force myself, have been out a year now, but still just feels like I am on leave and can go back. I miss the pepole and the friendships made, but I dont miss standing on a bird for 15 hours without a break or sitdown:D makes me gratefull for a bathroom!:eek: But all in all, I think even when you leave it, a bit of it will always stay with you, and just maybe that makes you walk a little taller knowing you did somthing that was bigger then yourselves.:rolleyes:

6. CA357

CA357 New Member Supporter

Sometimes I miss it, sometimes I'm glad I'm out. It shaped me and contributed in untold ways to the man I am today. It's a huge part of who I am.

Unfortunately, I'm forever addicted to SOS. ;)

7. dunerunner

dunerunner New Member

There are times, I wonder what my life would have been like had I accepted the $10,000 VRB and re-enlisted.

But like EVEN, I had issues with the politics. Besides, I like to do things my way and that didn't work well in the service.

8. Missileman

Missileman New Member

There isn't a day that goes by that I don't wish I could go back in.

9. shadecorp

shadecorp Active Member Supporter

Yep.

I enjoyed, :)

most of my three years in the Army.

I last served in Germany.

Loved Germany.

Hated the company. The Adam Henry company of the Army. :mad:

Would have re-upped,

but was afraid of being stuck in a mess like that again. :eek:

'Of the four wars in my lifetime, none came about because the U.S. was too strong.'
    Ronald Reagan

10. NGIB

NGIB New Member

Duner, I wasn't very politically savvy myself - that's why I retired with over 8 years in grade. Made E-7 at 11 1/2 years and retired as one...

11. crockett007

crockett007 New Member

I retired in 1996, E-7, Tanker, US Army. I find now as I am getting older that I remember the good times. I have to force myself to remember the tough times, particularly my Desert Shield/Desert Storm experiences.

I feel I am still a soldier, as I went in at 17 and really grew up in the Army. Now, going to the PX @ Benning is a treat, as I see how the changes are for the better since I retired. Better equipment, pay, housing etc. The soldiers will always be the same....I miss leading my tank platoon every day. I miss my brothers who went with me into harms way, I think about them daily as well.

God bless our country. I will for ever be thankful for the opportunity to become a man under the NCO's and officers that I served under, and see things that civilians never will.

12. doctherock

doctherock New Member

I miss it everyday but my family came first. I would do it all again but my beat up body just wont have it.

13. Mack Bolan

Mack Bolan New Member

Thank you Gentlemen.

14. canebrake

canebrake New Member

I punched my quota of holes in the North Atlantic and when my dance card was full, I went home, back to family and school.

I would do it over in a heartbeat, if called. Not sure what I could offer, but I'd be there. I would also take any and all interviews with Rollingstone Magazine!

I am proud that I served and it's a big part of who I am.

I do not however, have a desire to go back on base to have some grunt say G'morning TM2(SS) Canebrake. (That's probably because I was an in-and-out or C.U.N.T. [Civilian Under Naval Training] and I use 'grunt' in a manly loving way.)

15. Bigcountry02

Bigcountry02 Coffee! If your not shaking, you need another cup Supporter

I do miss my last assignment in Germany (Not USAFE Headquarters), more the Air Operations Center (AOC); prior to coming to Kirtland AFB. Kirtland assignment was okay; but, as we all say "The BS" wth getting the job done.

Would I go back, to my "Operations" duty assignment - Very much Yes!

After 26 years in, retired as E-7. One thing, I am glad one tradition that has returned to the Air Force community that was stopped years ago "Retreat Ceremony".

16. cpttango30

cpttango30 New Member

In 8 years I meet thousands of men and women. Some good some not so good. I was married single and 75% buck wild for a long time. I made mistakes and learned a lot. I miss it at times others I don't. I figured out that you do need to not say what you think all the time. That took me a long time. At times I was ate the hell up other times I was the most squared away guy in the platoon.

I had the chance to do just about any job I wanted to. I unfortunately picked the wrong one. I had an offer of OJT with the EOD guys at Fort Hood if I went to EOD school. I should have taken that shot but I didn't oh well. Live and learn.... I would have had over a year of OJT before going to school at Yuma Proving Grounds.

I miss knowing that someone always had your back. Even though I found out that many would just say that and if you really needed them they were nowhere to be found.

17. AH-1

AH-1 New Member

I did 20 years 10 months and 26 days almost all of it in the air cav.retired out of 227 avn 1 st cav.it was a hoot.
    we had zoomies as FO's for jat up on the east german border while I was in the 2nd ACR.they thought we were animals:D.

for the zoomies

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

18. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

It has been said by one more eloquent than I could ever hope to be:

We few, we happy few, we band of brothers;
    For he to-day that sheds his blood with me
    Shall be my brother; be he ne'er so vile,
    This day shall gentle his condition;
    And gentlemen in England now-a-bed
    Shall think themselves accurs'd they were not here,
    And hold their manhoods cheap whiles any speaks
    That fought with us upon Saint Crispin's day.

19. Glasshartt

Glasshartt New Member

COL,

Scubie said to ask if you were a "RampRat" or a "NosePicker". He was a RampRat.

20. doctherock

doctherock New Member

Glass tell Scubie Crew Chiefs are not nose pickers....We were booger hookers.