Military Surplus Magazine

Discussion in 'Curio & Relic Discussion' started by fortinsj, Oct 31, 2012.

1. fortinsj

fortinsj New Member

Has anyone picked up this magazine? I saw it at the gas station the other day before the hurricane hit the northeast. I figured it might be a good way to kill time if the power went out. It has some really interesting articles. I havent seen it on any magazine racks around here. I was just curious if anyone else knew anything about it.

2. fortinsj

fortinsj New Member

Sorry the pic didn't originally post. Here it is....

image-352604420.jpg

3. Garadex

Garadex New Member

I saw that the other day but didn't buy it, I'm to broke.

4. texaswoodworker

texaswoodworker New Member

Do you have a number to call, or a website? I couldn't find anything online. :(

5. mosin46

mosin46 New Member

as a former C&R collector,this seems to be a very bold move. from what i have seen in the last 2 years,prices are way down on both more common pieces and the rare stuff. and,not as many people can afford the luxury of collection spending. also,competition with a magazine from various collector web sites re gaining knowledge is huge. i do wish them luck. a game effort,but i don't know.

6. fortinsj

fortinsj New Member

I was talking to a guy at work and he was saying it was a first issue. I couldn't find it online either and there's no mail-in subscription card. If c&r is your fancy then this mag is awesome. Articles on garand, m1 carbine, k98, mosin nagant, k31, m48, 1928 and m1 Thompson, ppsh, m1917 s&w, 1911, tokarev, p38, and cz52. The articles are informative, giving info on manufacturing, weapon history, and range reports. Lots of pictures. For me personally, it was a gold mine of milsurp info

7. USEBOTHHANDS

USEBOTHHANDS New Member

you might just need to buy another one and keep in in sealed plastic for the future. :eek:

8. texaswoodworker

texaswoodworker New Member

There wasn't even a phone number/email? I wonder if I can find it around here.

9. zaitsev44

zaitsev44 Active Member

Mine was $10 but WELL worth it

10. fortinsj

fortinsj New Member

I just got home and checked the magazine. . Www.tactical-life.com (212) 807-7100

11. JWagner

JWagner New Member

I got a copy of that magazine a couple weeks back at Walmart. It is a pretty good read. What is ironic is that Guns & Ammo magazine shut down its "Surplus Firearms" magazine a few months ago. They published that from 1987 to 2012. The reason they gave for shutting down was that there is not enough "new" material coming along and they said their authors were tired of writing about the same old stuff. Thanks to the new guys for stepping up.

12. ltcfb118

ltcfb118 New Member

I too got a copy at Wallyworld, great read. It has not left the bathroom. It was quite sad to see Surplus Firearms go. There is much interest in Mil Surplus by true shooters. CMP is always busy and just try to find .30 carbine ammo. Good addition to those of us who cannot get enough of this.

13. stevebonning

stevebonning New Member

I read the mag cover to cover. It did address the old familiar C & R rifles mostly and did a good job providing basic info, but not much more than the basics. I will reserve judgment for the time being and see what they provide in follow up editions.

14. zaitsev44

zaitsev44 Active Member

The two rifles they forgot was the Lee Enfield and Arisaka. Kinda disappointed me but still loved it

15. budman46

budman46 New Member

i agree with the guys who bought this magazine, decent articles on firearms us guys enjoy. it looks like a good replacement for surplus firearms. i don't know how often they'll publish, but i figure they'll cover all our favorites in time.

16. budman46

budman46 New Member

wal-mart was where i found mine...great mag!

17. Milsurpshooter60

Milsurpshooter60 New Member

i have almost every issue they ever put out , i always got them from the shotgun new,s and wal -mart.I heard that they were not doing anymore but then i just picked up another 2 packed with info on reloading and cast bullets for these old war horse .These mag,s have taught me a lot in the 20 yrs i have been reading them. it is the guns magazine surplus and vintage firearms ,has a pic of the new stg-44 22lr they just came out with ,what a great mag just a treasure trove of good info ,ill post a pic of the cover tommorow.I highly recomend it for anyone into reloading ,fireing and collecting mil surp,s.My fave pastime myself besides a good woman there is nothing better to rub on then a great old gun you put lots of work into and brought her back to life.